Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

1st time lambing?

I'd probably record it and give her another chance assuming no other complaints.

Yep first time. 1 year old. I'm wondering how lads fared who did give such a ewe a chance. Would she just do the same next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

arctictree wrote: »
    Yep first time. 1 year old. I'm wondering how lads fared who did give such a ewe a chance. Would she just do the same next year?

What have you tried so far. I wouldn’t give in. Keep holding her to let him suck. Could take a few days but usually with me they give in first

I couldn’t look at her in the field without a lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

If she took the lamb after a while I'd say she'd be ok the next yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Farmer Dan

Lads, a hogget that rejected her single lamb. Would ye cull?

Happened here a couple of times last year, as already said, hold her for the lamb to drink and they accepted the lambs eventually. All lambed again this year and no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Anyone here have the prattley manual drafter? It looks a very good piece of kit. I’m wondering is it possible to dose/inject a ewe in it or is it just for weighing and drafter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭eire23

Anyone here have the prattley manual drafter? It looks a very good piece of kit. I’m wondering is it possible to dose/inject a ewe in it or is it just for weighing and drafter?

Id imagine the prattley sheep handler would be more suited to that. I could be wrong though. I'm after biting the bullet on a prattley mobile yard so must look into them at some stage down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

There's too many obstructions on the scales to be able to work on the sheep, it'd be very awkward to dose one

eire23 wrote: »
    Id imagine the prattley sheep handler would be more suited to that. I could be wrong though. I'm after biting the bullet on a prattley mobile yard so must look into them at some stage down the line.

Good stuff, biting the bullet at the start is the hard part! It should make like easier. I saw a video on the sheep handler too. I’m fully convinced the 3 way drafter is the bees knees but now sure about that. Would a combi clamp be better than it

wrangler wrote: »
    There's too many obstructions on the scales to be able to work on the sheep, it'd be very awkward to dose one

I was half thinking that myself. It must make weighting and drafting a breeze?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I was half thinking that myself. It must make weighting and drafting a breeze?

Yes, dose in the shoot is the handiest, dosing in taht be impossible with them moving and heads down and too many bars, fill up shoot with as many as possible and most heads up and no wiggle room and you'll fly through them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

What do people do with a ewe with ring womb. Any tips on how to get the lamb out or would it be a job for a vet. Had 1 last year and spent an age at her, thought I could manage but had to take to the vet in the end.

joe35 wrote: »
    What do people do with a ewe with ring womb. Any tips on how to get the lamb out or would it be a job for a vet. Had 1 last year and spent an age at her, thought I could manage but had to take to the vet in the end.

Give her calcium and oxytocin and time. Work at her slowly and use plenty of gel. they generally will always open in the end.

Good stuff, biting the bullet at the start is the hard part! It should make like easier. I saw a video on the sheep handler too. I’m fully convinced the 3 way drafter is the bees knees but now sure about that. Would a combi clamp be better than it

I thought about a combi clamp but my land isn't in one block so i ruled it out. It was my last chance to get the 60% grant so went for the mobile yard. I hard to know what a combi clamp is like to work on your own, if sheep aren't flowing right to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Tileman

First lambs of the year. Not due for another week.

The first ewe that lambs is the same ewe that lambed in March 19, nov 19, June 20 and now first one to lamb again.
    Serious ewe .
    Nice to get a bit of good news.

Had a pair of lambs born yesterday with what looks like I'll joint on their front knees. Lambed outside in a nice dry paddock. Two good healthy lambs, just walking funny on the front legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Have a ewe lambed 8 days here... is grazing and bright in herself but since yesterday wont eat meal.. was a Hoover until then ..any ideas....am thinking I may have over fed her.. still bright in herself..grazed happily all day. ..

Had a pair of lambs born yesterday with what looks like I'll joint on their front knees. Lambed outside in a nice dry paddock. Two good healthy lambs, just walking funny on the front legs.

Did he ever straighten the legs, is he just deformed

wrangler wrote: »
    Did he ever straighten the legs, is he just deformed

No, not straightened yet. Must just be slightly deformed. The 2 of them are like that.

Lively lambs, in great form otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

No, not straightened yet. Must just be slightly deformed. The 2 of them are like that.

Lively lambs, in great form otherwise

Are they bent at the knees or ankles Joe?

We had a crop of lambs once, and a lot of them had issues with their ankles, where they half walked on them kinda bent under them for a few days... They all came good eventually, it didnt seem to make any difference to them.

We put it down to the ram, whether that was right or not, I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

I would put it down to a mineral deficiency, I can’t remember where I read this but there’s definitely a direct link

• Advertisement

razor8 wrote: »
    I would put it down to a mineral deficiency, I can’t remember where I read this but there’s definitely a direct link

There's some cases of schmallenberg around this year, it's very like a mild form

Is there anything I could give them? Still healthy this evening but legs haven't straightened any.

Yea it's bent at the knee joint

Is there anything I could give them? Still healthy this evening but legs haven't straightened any.

Yea it's bent at the knee joint

Will it straighten by hand?

Can you move its ankle etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have a 2 day old lamb with quite watery scour and down in himself, what would be the best way to treat him tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

corner of a synulux tablet and 1.5ml of betamox to keep off a chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

Last Ewe lambed here - a triplet.
    I don't want to leave all 3 on her as it's led to mastitis here in the past so what is the best option :
    a - bottle feed 1 lamb
    b - buy foster ewe for 1 of her lambs
    c - sell 1 lamb on donedeal
    d - or something else

Sami23 wrote: »
    I don't want to leave all 3 on her as it's led to mastitis here in the past so what is the best option :
    a - bottle feed 1 lamb
    d - or something else

Sometimes we used rear lambs on the ewe in good grass with some 20% nuts twice a day

But you'll know yourself depending on the ewe and grass supply,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

Sometimes we used rear lambs on the ewe in good grass with some 20% nuts twice a day

But you'll know yourself depending on the ewe and grass supply,

It's probably doable alright but hard to give her special treatment of nuts when she's with the other ewes when she gets out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads, anyone know if one of those adoption gates would work on a ewe lamb that won't let her lamb suck? Otherwise she wants her lamb and roars when it's taken away. She has good milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Sami23 wrote: »
    a - bottle feed 1 lamb
    d - or something else

Simplest option is C anything else is more work and hassle for 1 lamb which might not leave much more profit than you'll get now.

Advertisement