Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sami23 wrote: »
    Yep same ring and try to do at couple days old to avoid extra stress on them.

On another subject - at what age do people usually go with their 1st dose to lambs at and I presume it would be a white drench you'd use such as Arrest ?

5 - 6 weeks and there has been a nematodirus hatch in the midlands. ours were scouring green scour so they must've been eating grass.
    We did them monday and they've dried up great now,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

wrangler wrote: »
    5 - 6 weeks and there has been a nematodirus hatch in the midlands. ours were scouring green scour so they must've been eating grass.
    We did them monday and they've dried up great now,

What dose did you use wrangler

What dose did you use wrangler

Albex, we find we get a good result by adding cobalt to the doses, even though we give them a mineral bolus at 10 weeks.
    We add cobalt sulphate to the dose 24hrs before dosing, we also found out (the hard way) that it needs to be put through a tea strainer even after 24 hrs or little bits of the cobalt will block the dosing gun.
    Land here is very low in cobalt

joe35 wrote: »
    Never ringed the balls here. How do you go about this. Is it the same ring you use for the tails. Same process?? I might ring a few late Lambers here see how they get on

I wouldnt let them over a day or two old to do em....make sure both stones are there,otherwise its a waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Would you not find their backsides dirtier with the tails during summer and more prone to getting maggots

Take tails off leave balls on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    i find ewe lambs seem to get maggots quicker
    Thought the days of maggots were gone since the arrival of Clik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Thought the days of maggots were gone since the arrival of Clik

Had sheep struck early May last year. Not many would have clik that early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Had sheep struck early May last year. Not many would have clik that early.

Nobody I would think. Never heard of fly strike that early. Normally shear mid May. Clik early June. Dip Sept

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Nobody I would think. Never heard of fly strike that early. Normally shear mid May. Clik early June. Dip Sept

Ya, couldnt believe it my self. The flystrike season appears to be starting earlier and finishing later each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Was thinking of going with a cheaper application of something to prevent Flynn’s strike from now until shearing In 4-5 weeks time. Anyone do this and what product would you recommend?

• Advertisement

Was thinking of going with a cheaper application of something to prevent Flynn’s strike from now until shearing In 4-5 weeks time. Anyone do this and what product would you recommend?

Clik mixed at 4 parts water 1 part clik will cover 5 weeks or even more at about 50c/ewe.
    35ml/ ewe applied in teh usual way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Clik mixed at 4 parts water 1 part clik will cover 5 weeks at about 50c/ewe

That’s mighty...heard of people putting dettol on them too

Prop Joe wrote: »
    That’s mighty...heard of people putting dettol on them too

That'd probably protect them till the next wet day

That'd probably protect them till the next wet day

Not many wet days in the forecast

Not many wet days in the forecast

No..... bit of a crisis now, grass is really struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

No..... bit of a crisis now, grass is really struggling

100% agree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Grass is starting to move here slowly. It was the cold weather all along that was hampering us here, not lack of moisture. The rise in temp this week made a noticeable difference. I don’t like the wind coming from the east too long though, unless trying to save hay!
    A memory came up on my phone during the week of this time last year and there was lovely flush grass around. Hard to stick to a template with this farming craic. The father said an old neighbour in his young days used to say you’d still want have your fodder left on the first of February. Sounds a bit much but I’m thinking he’s not wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Clik mixed at 4 parts water 1 part clik will cover 5 weeks or even more at about 50c/ewe.
    35ml/ ewe applied in teh usual way

What’s the story for the shearer then?

How long would you need to leave between application and shearing?

Grass is starting to move here slowly. It was the cold weather all along that was hampering us here, not lack of moisture. The rise in temp this week made a noticeable difference. I don’t like the wind coming from the east too long though, unless trying to save hay!
    A memory came up on my phone during the week of this time last year and there was lovely flush grass around. Hard to stick to a template with this farming craic. The father said an old neighbour in his young days used to say you’d still want have your fodder left on the first of February. Sounds a bit much but I’m thinking he’s not wrong

Grass is staring to green up here, but there is an East wind that is still keeping temperatures down, and is taking a lot of moisture out of the ground...
    We’re grand for a while, but you wouldn’t to see it around too long...

Have my few hoggets in a small paddock with some silage for now, give the grass a chance for a few days...

Like you say, no year is the same - I had more hog last year, and no grass problems :)
    Maybe I should have sold more of me when the prices were so good :)

What’s the story for the shearer then?

How long would you need to leave between application and shearing?

At 4 -1 it's roughly the same concentration of active product as Clickzin which has a withdrawal of seven days, Clicks withdrawal is only 40 days anyway.
    It's less than half the price of clickzin if you mix clik with water that way, great comfort wile waiting for a shearer if your sheep are protected

• Advertisement

Grass is staring to green up here, but there is an East wind that is still keeping temperatures down, and is taking a lot of moisture out of the ground...
    We’re grand for a while, but you wouldn’t to see it around too long...
    :)

Whenever you think the grass is moving, it appears to stop just as quick. One good warm wet day would see us right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Whenever you think the grass is moving, it appears to stop just as quick. One good warm wet day would see us right.

Lambs and grass flying on my place in North Mayo - the right combination of peaty soils and a drying easterly.

Ya same here, grass has improved with the temperatures in last 3 or 4 days and lambs are thriving well in the dry spell tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Albex, we find we get a good result by adding cobalt to the doses, even though we give them a mineral bolus at 10 weeks.
    We add cobalt sulphate to the dose 24hrs before dosing, we also found out (the hard way) that it needs to be put through a tea strainer even after 24 hrs or little bits of the cobalt will block the dosing gun.
    Land here is very low in cobalt
    Would endospec have enough cobalt for your needs or have you ever tried it?

Don't know, cobalt sulphate is cheap as chips any way

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Our first dose last year was with endospec I think, seemed to work well from memory. Very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Tileman

[
    Last ewe lambed yesterday. Thank god over for another year. Had a few drinks to celebrate. Went out to check the dry hoggets this morning and found a new lamb. Don’t know how she was in lamb. Wasn’t anywhere near a ram lamb. I’m hoping one of the ewe lambs I bought in last autumn wasn’t a rig. Otherwise it could be a very long lambing.

Amazing all the same that Hoggets was just on Haylage, rough grazing and an odd bit of meal the whole winter. Lovely lamb no assistance required.

Ewes and n the best of everything all winter

Anyone do any effective natural fly control here? Been reading datasheets and it's not the direction I want to go, they all seem lethal to most other things apart from the problem causers.

Anyone do any effective natural fly control here? Been reading datasheets and it's not the direction I want to go, they all seem lethal to most other things apart from the problem causers.

What would the natural options be Herd?

• Advertisement

What would the natural options be Herd?

Well, the line I'm following is predators of (insert pest) and examining (insert pest) lifecycle, and seeing where it's weakness' are.

But, that doesn't work while using conventional management as most of the chems are harmful to the critters I want to work for me.

Advertisement