Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭clonagh

Anyone use Draxxin for badly lame ewes? Is it as good as some lads swear it is? I know its dear but with the way sheep prices are it might be cheaper to repair than replace...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Don’t worry about grass lads - Teagasc are predicting growth of 60-70 this week. Though it might be only in fields in cloud cuckoo land.

They’d have a lot more credibility if they were offering options on how to manage without grass rather than trying to be optimistic and talk up things all the time.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

What’s the best ram for Dorset ewes leaning towards a Charollais ram.

Not much wind at all down with us the past few days, thankfully...

Ive still some growth,deos be green in fields etc,being near sea etc is a blessing.......ive faced alot worse situations than right now

Was it 2012 a winter lasted into may,off a very bad summer before it....if that didnt sink us,nothing will

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Ive still some growth,deos be green in fields etc,being near sea etc is a blessing.......ive faced alot worse situations than right now

Was it 2012 a winter lasted into may,off a very bad summer before it....if that didnt sink us,nothing will

It was 2012 I think, the fields were brown from frost til into May...

Ah, we have some grass too, but I'm wary til growth improves... But then, when it does kick off, we should all be sound at this time of year... Problem is, I've been saying that for a month :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Some fields definitely went back.

Who could blame them. Bitter cold at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Danzy wrote: »
    Some fields definitely went back.

Who could blame them. Bitter cold at times.

The UK Met just mentioned somewhere on these islands had a grass frost every day of April this year, and that it was colder than March overall!! Only saving grace my end was that was pretty dry which meant for better grass utilisation compared to other years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We hosted a sheep conference here on the 15 may 2012, I had a contract fencer in the week before, I remember it well, the land was loooking like it is now, The guy fencing came to me and said, ''What are you going to show them next week ?????........is it how not to grow grass''.
    Weather changed then and there was lovely grass everywhere for the conference.
    If you remember 2012, it started to rain then on the june weekend and never stopped and caused the fodder famine in spring 2013

I've an opportunity to get out.
    Whats a well laid out sheep tunnel worth to rent per year for 200 ewes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

wrangler wrote: »

You could either go with a rate/ week or a flat rate for the winter.

Maybe €100/ week or €500 for the winter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Will your lleyn sheep be up for sale?

Will your lleyn sheep be up for sale?

Early days yet,

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Early days yet,
    Surly you’d be lost without ur few ewes wrangler?

Young95 wrote: »
    Surly you’d be lost without ur few ewes wrangler?

Devastated, don't you know :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭White Clover

Devastated, don't you know :rolleyes:

You'll probably see after them and lamb them for the tenant ;)

You'll probably see after them and lamb them for the tenant ;)

The OH will probably have to be bet outa the lambing shed alright but not me

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Isn't it this time of year everyone hates sheep.

joe35 wrote: »

It has often been said that you should get out of sheep in may when you can remember the lambing....... sure If I was in the civil service I'd be long time retired

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Out walking the fields last night and today. Feels like we might be on the verge of a burst of grass growth...... hopefully

Out walking the fields last night and today. Feels like we might be on the verge of a burst of grass growth...... hopefully

Yea... felt a twinge of optimism myself.. :eek: moi even:D

• Advertisement

joe35 wrote: »

I think you you start liking them again, and from June on you love them! Remember that meme on Facebook

Walked two fields yesterday that I “hopefully” have locked for silage and was pleasantly surprised. The heat today should do wonders.
    If you were back twenty years again wrangler would you still have went at the sheep at the scale you did? I haven’t see your posts as positive in a long time as today with the talk of possibly getting out!

Walked two fields yesterday that I “hopefully” have locked for silage and was pleasantly surprised. The heat today should do wonders.
    If you were back twenty years again wrangler would you still have went at the sheep at the scale you did? I haven’t see your posts as positive in a long time as today with the talk of possibly getting out!

I like sheep, my health is not great though, found the lambing very hard.
    They get bad press undeservedly. if you do everything to look after them they're great little soldiers, you just lamb them and they go off with their lambs after 48 hrs and look after them. I've made more money since I changed to sheep than I ever did with cattle.
    An opportunity has come along now, but it's early yet, might've left it a couple years other wise...... nothing sorted yet and CAP reform has huge implications for me so a lot to consider

They get bad press undeservedly. if you do everything to look after them they're great little soldiers, you just lamb them and they go off with their lambs after 48 hrs and look after them. I've made more money since I changed to sheep than I ever did with cattle.
    An opportunity has come along now, but it's early yet, might've left it a couple years other wise...... nothing sorted yet and CAP reform has huge implications for me so a lot to consider
    Best of luck with any decisions you make

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It has often been said that you should get out of sheep in may when you can remember the lambing....... sure If I was in the civil service I'd be long time retired

Maybe a long time retired but maybe a long time dead too.
    People need some interest when they retire be it farming, golf or whatever else floats your boat.

You'd see it at times people retire after 40-50 years and have nothing to do because they did nothing but work and then they don't live long enough to enjoy their retirement.

If you do get out make a plan of what you'd like to do, maybe a list of places you'd like to see and get away even for day trips with your OH.

Maybe a long time retired but maybe a long time dead too.
    People need some interest when they retire be it farming, golf or whatever else floats your boat.

You'd see it at times people retire after 40-50 years and have nothing to do because they did nothing but work and then they don't live long enough to enjoy their retirement.

If you do get out make a plan of what you'd like to do, maybe a list of places you'd like to see and get away even for day trips with your OH.

Cardiologist told me 7 or 8u years ago to get rid of the farm, He said It's a young mans game, when you tackle a sheep you can't take half of her. young people are only allowed lift 30 kg or something yet farmers lift 50kg.
    I thought he was bluffing, but see his point now. lifting 50 kg when you're maybe 25 kg overweight yourself puts huge pressure on your heart but of course we don't listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Sorry to hear that wrangler. Sounds like you've to prioritise looking after yourself. Hope it all works out ok for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

After taking maggots out of a ewe. 1st may, summer is here

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Well said, sheep are great little soldiers alright. You're wiser than many, knowing when it's time to prioritize one's health isn't a trait all us farmers have. If your heart is playing up mind the cold, my dad died out in below zero temps while over exerting his heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Not up here in the NW. Hailstones still bouncing of the ground.

Advertisement