Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Jjameson wrote: »
    I was chuffed with myself after assisting a hogget with a big single, slow to get going but stood up a thumper, hogget milking like good mature ewe happy days,
    Went back 40 minutes later and he’s put a handful of intestines through his naval. New one for me(seen a small bit come out a and put back and stitched with great success)
    Tried to put back in but like trying to feed a pound of sausages through a straw.
    Rung vet which was answer machine and had to ring a mobile “emergency” number. Not a vet in the practice but he confirmed what I suspected.
    He was unlikely to do any good.
    Dispatching a 6kg otherwise thumping lamb has shook me.
    Put his skin on a spare, she will rear it and life carries on, but thank god for whiskey!!!

Making the best of a bad situation. I had something like that a few years back, but only recently did I hear it can be caused by ewe being abit inexperienced and over cleaning the lamb . biting off too much umbilical cord.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

He got a fair squeeze, that’s what I’m putting it down to. But was a right hardy vigorous lad.. that’s what made it so hard to deal with. But you got to keep on keeping on!

Had a 3 week old pet lamb few days ago shoved out all his intestines from his arse hole . Pushed the whole lot out . Nothing I could do but give him a hit over the head .. not a nice thing to do . I Was sick for rest of the day after it .

Just reading there looks like the wool prices are going to stay on the floor this year again. I've taken to shearing my own, at a very slow rate. No money in it, but at least ain't costing me nothing other then my own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Just reading there looks like the wool prices are going to stay on the floor this year again. I've taken to shearing my own, at a very slow rate. No money in it, but at least ain't costing me nothing other then my own time.

What value do you put on that time though. It's probably going to take you a lot of extra time to do them.

Hard physical work too for saving you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

€100000 went to someone last year on a feasibility study

https://www.gov.ie/en/consultation/77e12-wool-feasibility-study/

rather than just a grant aid for a start up, subsidised home insulation manufacturer.
    House building on the crux of a boom,an enormous amount of houses needing upgrading of insulation.
    Wouldn’t it a logical use for some of this carbon tax money.
    Rock wool won’t burn and it won’t rot. Horrible stuff environmentally and to use.
    And here we are with a top quality insulator sustainable biodegradable and minor to join the dots.

It’s so frustrating. The older I’m getting the more cynical I’m becoming. Is it vested interest in the oil or insulation manufacturing industries that have the government’s ear?
    The positives of using sheep’s wool seem to far outweigh any negative

• Advertisement

It’s so frustrating. The older I’m getting the more cynical I’m becoming. Is it vested interest in the oil or insulation manufacturing industries that have the government’s ear?
    The positives of using sheep’s wool seem to far outweigh any negative

To best my knowledge,its capacity to retain heat (r number,???) isnt as good as other insulators and treatment to make it viable/resistant to bugs etc makes it not massively cheaper,and people will generally choose slightly more expensive/established methods,when building as "only doing it once"

Its same as the dairy bull calves,just a cost of production now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Did you buy a shears or always have one.
    I've sheared a lot of sheep but I couldn't shear with the ones with the battery in them at all, I sold my reaL shears and bought a battery one and am just about able to crutch with it. It's great for crutching as you can just shove the lamb against the wall and do him any where

wrangler wrote: »
    Did you buy a shears or always have one.
    I've sheared a lot of sheep but I couldn't shear with the ones with the battery in them at all, I sold my reaL shears and bought a battery one and am just about able to crutch with it. It's great for crutching as you can just shove the lamb against the wall and do him any where

I bought a lister fusion last year during lockdown. Motor in handpiece. Still getting the hang of it. I just tip away doing a few at a time. Introducing some shedding blood into my ewes so hopefully the shearing is only a short term thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

To best my knowledge,its capacity to retain heat (r number,???) isnt as good as other insulators and treatment to make it viable/resistant to bugs etc makes it not massively cheaper,and people will generally choose slightly more expensive/established methods,when building as "only doing it once"

Its same as the dairy bull calves,just a cost of production now

Ah right, stand corrected. It’s a pity it’s not better utilised some way though. It ticks all the environmental boxes

I bought a lister fusion last year during lockdown. Motor in handpiece. Still getting the hang of it. I just tip away doing a few at a time. Introducing some shedding blood into my ewes so hopefully the shearing is only a short term thing.

Best of luck so. It was my shearer put the Skil saw across his hand and he used to shear about 20000 in this area so shearers will be scarce here

• Advertisement

Lads how many replacement ewe lambs do lads keep a year ? Percentage wise ? Thinking of keeping 20% here this year but wondering is that to low or to high ?

Young95 wrote: »
    Lads how many replacement ewe lambs do lads keep a year ? Percentage wise ? Thinking of keeping 20% here this year but wondering is that to low or to high ?

Anywhere between 20 and 25% is what we do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

I like sheep, my health is not great though, found the lambing very hard.
    They get bad press undeservedly. if you do everything to look after them they're great little soldiers, you just lamb them and they go off with their lambs after 48 hrs and look after them. I've made more money since I changed to sheep than I ever did with cattle.
    An opportunity has come along now, but it's early yet, might've left it a couple years other wise...... nothing sorted yet and CAP reform has huge implications for me so a lot to consider

Would you not consider reducing your stocking rate to take some pressure off. You have to be on the ball to feed 80 ewes on 10 acres. If you had half the number of sheep they’d look after themselves

razor8 wrote: »
    Would you not consider reducing your stocking rate to take some pressure off. You have to be on the ball to feed 80 ewes on 10 acres. If you had half the number of sheep they’d look after themselves

Might be the way it's going anyway, drop the stocking rate...... OH isn't keen to stop keeping sheep. Heavy negotiations going on at the moment. :D:D
    Will probably rent out the tunnel anyway, loads of accomadation in our yard for sheep and difficult for people to get sheds built at the moment.
    No point in seeing people stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Might be the way it's going anyway, drop the stocking rate...... OH isn't keen to stop keeping sheep. Heavy negotiations going on at the moment. :D:D
    Will probably rent out the tunnel anyway, loads of accomadation in our yard for sheep and difficult for people to get sheds built at the moment.
    No point in seeing people stuck

Couldn’t see either of ye walking away totally from sheep. If you lease all out you’d be looking to rent somewhere else in no time. It’s an addiction

razor8 wrote: »
    Couldn’t see either of ye walking away totally from sheep. If you lease all out you’d be looking to rent somewhere else in no time. It’s an addiction

You're right about one of us alright... :rolleyes:

You're right about one of us alright... :rolleyes:

all joking aside,being stooped over working at anything is one of worst things for your heart

all joking aside,being stooped over working at anything is one of worst things for your heart

Agreed, having to stoop is the hard part. i can fall over on my head,
    Overexertion triggers nausea and dizziness, catching a sheep is a prime example, that seems to be the worst.
    I can walk any distance as long as it's on the level i like walking it passes the time

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sandman30

Was offered 35c for wool last week, up from 20c a few months ago. Still nothing to be excited about.

Keep at the walking and work smart, use those drop pin pens to corner sheep! 3 meals a day for you and no deserts or snacking would stand to us all! But I can resist any thing but temptation!

I think the lockdown has seen alot of people bulking up abit. I'm heavier now then at any other time in my life. Slippery slope are the snacks. Trying to cut back.

• Advertisement

I think the lockdown has seen alot of people bulking up abit. I'm heavier now then at any other time in my life. Slippery slope are the snacks. Trying to cut back.

I got a stone off since this time last year , but that was done by june and can't budge anymore since despite walking 10 -12000 steps/day
    I'm fortunate that my heart condition has decimated my appetite, but for that I'd be jamming in doorways.
    It's a lot easier to lose weight under fifty than over fifty, as you move faster and work harder and burn more calories under fifty, so I suppose what I'm trying to say is try to achieve your ideal weight before fifty.
    ''Don't do as I do, but do as I say''

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

I’m down 3 stone since start of lockdown, mainly by counting calories, walking and more recently cycling. I’ve now switched to just 2 meals a day, which is helping, in many ways not just weight loss. Even light weights can help. When I carry buckets of nuts to fields I lift the whole time. Even messing with a crow bar or sledge helped to tone arms. Started the 2 meals a day as was less motivated to Tain a lot recently, so just altering a little to keep losing. It’s a nice feeling when you don’t eat for 10 or 12 hours.

Long range weather forecast is looking grim for grass growth. Or did anyone see anything different

Long range weather forecast is looking grim for grass growth. Or did anyone see anything different

Fingers crossed, mightnt be as bad as you think. The days are long, abit of moisture in the ground, as long as ground temperatures are above 5-6 degrees, grass will edge on. Its forecasted to be 10-11 degrees most days and 15 degrees at the weekend. I know we're all behind and tight, but it come right for us. Cannt stay rubbish forever. Stay positive !!!!!

Temperature rising the end of next week, but that could change..... too far away to depend on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I got a stone off since this time last year , but that was done by june and can't budge anymore since despite walking 10 -12000 steps/day
    I'm fortunate that my heart condition has decimated my appetite, but for that I'd be jamming in doorways.
    It's a lot easier to lose weight under fifty than over fifty, as you move faster and work harder and burn more calories under fifty, so I suppose what I'm trying to say is try to achieve your ideal weight before fifty.
    ''Don't do as I do, but do as I say''
    OneMan37 wrote: »
    I’m down 3 stone since start of lockdown, mainly by counting calories, walking and more recently cycling. I’ve now switched to just 2 meals a day, which is helping, in many ways not just weight loss. Even light weights can help. When I carry buckets of nuts to fields I lift the whole time. Even messing with a crow bar or sledge helped to tone arms. Started the 2 meals a day as was less motivated to Tain a lot recently, so just altering a little to keep losing. It’s a nice feeling when you don’t eat for 10 or 12 hours.

I'd say I am easily a stone up since this time last year, I must weigh myself...

I wouldn't be the biggest man in the world, and I wasnt the thinnest man 12 months ago either - so a stone would be a fair addition to what was already there to be honest... :D

Working from home, is unhealthier for me. I tend to snack a lot more often, mainly on biscuits... And whereas at work, I used to go for a walk at work every lunchtime for maybe 30mins.
    Now, I go do farming things, which often wouldn't give as much exercise...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Easycare ewes are scarce..been looking to trial a few

You’d have as much Money out of 35 to 40. Run ewe lambs and ewes together at ramming and pull them out without favour after 3 weeks.

OH is a scientist by career and nature, put's a lot of efforts into recording so doesn't cull easy. All our ewes are fifth generation doubles at least.
    She also records our weight gains for sheep Ireland and joined Pasture base.
    So you can understand why she doesn't wat to stop.
    We bet out a deal on renting the tunnel and part of the deal is to look after our sheep/dogs for 3 weeks so finally might get away

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭clonagh

Anyone use Draxxin for badly lame ewes? Is it as good as some lads swear it is? I know its dear but with the way sheep prices are it might be cheaper to repair than replace...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

OH is a scientist by career and nature, put's a lot of efforts into recording so doesn't cull easy. All our ewes are fifth generation doubles at least.
    She also records our weight gains for sheep Ireland and joined Pasture base.
    So you can understand why she doesn't wat to stop.
    We bet out a deal on renting the tunnel and part of the deal is to look after our sheep/dogs for 3 weeks so finally might get away

Fair play to ye both you have done great work and have been an inspiration to farmers and many on boards. It's not easy give up a lifetime's work.

Advertisement