Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »
    Fair play to ye both you have done great work and have been an inspiration to farmers and many on boards. It's not easy give up a lifetime's work.

Jasus, thanks , don't know if I'm that good. I don't advise but always say what we do here.
    A lifetimes experience i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

I posted a query on suitable tactics for dosing ewes,dry hoggetts and lambs this time of year but posted it on the main farming forum by mistake....appreciate it if ye gave a look at it and chipped in with advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

Noticed a Ewe yesterday evening that appears to have gone fairly blind in both eyes with the eyes sort of clouded over.
    What could have caused this and what is the best treatment for it ?
    Thanks in advance as always

I posted a query on suitable tactics for dosing ewes,dry hoggetts and lambs this time of year but posted it on the main farming forum by mistake....appreciate it if ye gave a look at it and chipped in with advice.

Ewes don't need a worm dose unles they're thin, we don't have fluke here but I think fluke doses don't be given this time of the year, maybe someone else might advise on this. Fluke and worm doses don't do either very well in my view.
    Lambs probably need a dose if thye're over 5 weeks. Best practise is a white dose but any dose will do. I wouldn't give them the fluke and worm though.
    We wouldn't dose the hoggets either unless they looked like they needed a dose.
    We haven't dosed an adult ewe for worms in years, they build an immunity to worms themselves.
    Some good advice here on dosing ewes

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/avoid-dosing-mature-worms-at-all-costs-orla-keane-teagasc/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Is it ok to give ewes their second heptavac when they are up again lambing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Sami23 wrote: »
    Noticed a Ewe yesterday evening that appears to have gone fairly blind in both eyes with the eyes sort of clouded over.

Have one like her too, both eyes white, cleared itself

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Country lad

Sami23 wrote: »

i say the ewe pink eye put a drop of alamycin la 300 into both eyes and also inject her and keep her separate from other sheep as its very contagious

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Jjameson wrote: »
    It’s possible but it’s often the first sign of of listeriosis and time is of the essence. Is she twitching her head, is she eating?

Circling in one direction and going down would be my experience of listeriosis, engemycin into vein straight away brings them round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Jjameson wrote: »
    If in doubt with fluke at all dose for it.

If done eight weeks ago you’d imagine they’d be ok. Take a sample to the vet if it’s convenient and see, he won’t be long telling you.
    If you do that thought I’d take another sample in a month or so. Reason being I took a sample at housing and it’s showed no fluke, but knew the ewes weren’t as well as they should be a while back and took another sample a couple of weeks ago and he said they had a very high fluke count. They were housed until lambing from mid feb on so could have picked it up since but I doubt it, I think rather they had immature fluke when I took the first same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

If done eight weeks ago you’d imagine they’d be ok. Take a sample to the vet if it’s convenient and see, he won’t be long telling you.
    If you do that thought I’d take another sample in a month or so. Reason being I took a sample at housing and it’s showed no fluke, but knew the ewes weren’t as well as they should be a while back and took another sample a couple of weeks ago and he said they had a very high fluke count. They were housed until lambing from mid feb on so could have picked it up since but I doubt it, I think rather they had immature fluke when I took the first same.

It's the immature fluke does the damage. In general everyone should be dosing for fluke where sheep are out all winter unless it's an exceptional dry farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Best thing for pet lamb scour ? Primidoxin
    and sulfur powder ? Give her Pen strip to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

OneMan37 wrote: »
    Best thing for pet lamb scour ? Primidoxin
    and sulfur powder ? Give her Pen strip to no avail.

What age?

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Is it ok to give ewes their second heptavac when they are up again lambing?

You probably have it done by now,
    Just handle them carefully, it should be no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

wrangler wrote: »
    You probably have it done by now,
    Just handle them carefully, it should be no problem

Didnt bother. Lambing started this morning lol.

razor8 wrote: »
    What age?

3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

OneMan37 wrote: »
    3 weeks.

May need a dose of bovicox, is it black brown yellow or white scour?

razor8 wrote: »
    May need a dose of bovicox, is it black brown yellow or white scour?

Vet recommended Primidoxine.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

We fatten hoggets over the winter months and sell in spring.this year we had problems with sheep continually scratching and seemed a bit stiff to walk.not excessive but there to be seen all the same.
    Thrive was affected.
    Were fed a 3 way mix of barley maize and soya hulls and mollases.
    We inject with ivomec.
    I'm thinking of sheep dipping this year.is it a good job ?
    Is it hard on sheep in smallish hoggets in cold weather?
    I'd imagine they would have to b done twice over the winter months at least ?
    Any thoughts and comments appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

richie123 wrote: »
    We fatten hoggets over the winter months and sell in spring.this year we had problems with sheep continually scratching and seemed a Qin bit stiff to walk.not excessive but there to be seen all the same.
    Thrive was affected.
    We inject with ivomec.

When dipping it is most important that all sheep are dipped if it's sheep scab.Otherwise waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

MIKEKC wrote: »
    When dipping it is most important that all sheep are dipped if it's sheep scab.Otherwise waste of time .Only dip once here never any problem

• Advertisement

MIKEKC wrote: »
    When dipping it is most important that all sheep are dipped if it's sheep scab.Otherwise waste of time

Yea, important to push the head underwater..... twice

I don't think anyone dips twice over the winter inless there's bad scab

We fatten hoggets over the winter months and sell in spring.this year we had problems with sheep continually scratching and seemed a bit stiff to walk.not excessive but there to be seen all the same.
    Thrive was affected.
    We inject with ivomec.

I wouldn't dip in cold weather where there would be the risk of frost. It'll be an annoying balancing act between getting the right mild as possible day that isn't wet. Dip as early in the day as possible to give them a chance. Compared to injectables and pour on's dipping is the best option, and as Wrangler said, head under twice.

Am i better off setting up my own dipping unit or getting in someone like the o haras in carlow?(I could have name wrong there.)
    We do 1000 plus hoggets probably have to dip twice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Do you shear the hog in the autumn Richie?

Have done the past few years, and found it good. Didn’t this autumn and was forever finding hog caught in briars. Also found there was a few scratching which I didn’t have when they were shorn...

Am i better off setting up my own dipping unit or getting in someone like the o haras in carlow?(I could have name wrong there.)
    We do 1000 plus hoggets probably have to dip twice

I guess that depends on how reliable they'd be for coming when you need them. Your own dipping box you could use any time you want but there's the installation costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

Found the same in hoggets this year too. I always used ivomec but they are immune to it or it's a different source which is causing the problem. My hoggets are still straching but it's not scab as wool has not come off them and no bare patches. I will dip next Sept or October going forward.

Do you shear the hog in the autumn Richie?

Have done the past few years, and found it good. Didn’t this autumn and was forever finding hog caught in briars. Also found there was a few scratching which I didn’t have when they were shorn...

No but i might shear 2 or 300 if weather turns horrible like last year and finish on straw ina shed.
    Obviously u couldn't swear ina cold wet year and leave outside.
    If I shear then is it necessary to dip also 3 weeks after shearing?
    Won't start buyin till mid Sept

No but i might shear 2 or 300 if weather turns horrible like last year and finish on straw ina shed.
    Obviously u couldn't swear ina cold wet year and leave outside.
    If I shear then is it necessary to dip also 3 weeks after shearing?
    Won't start buyin till mid Sept

A lot of farmers shear in september and leave out all winter, leaves them cleaner and thrive better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

wrangler wrote: »
    A lot of farmers shear in september and leave out all winter, leaves them cleaner and thrive better

That’s what I do...

I would only have 100 or so - big difference between shearing 100 and shearing 1000 though...

• Advertisement

That’s what I do...

I would only have 100 or so - big difference between shearing 100 and shearing 1000 though...

1000 is a lot to have stuck in briars too. :rolleyes:
    We shear the ewe lambs here in august, they definitely grow better and lambs find teats easier in march

Advertisement