Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

Bought some red top fly traps to use this year. Has anyone used them previously? Not warm enough to bother with them yet, here anyway and nothing is dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

Clik or clickZin always diluted by half here and never had a case of maggots in sheep or lambs that's good enough for me.

Just wondering do many lads on here water down their Clik/Clikzin to make it go further and has it worked well for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sami23 wrote: »
    Just wondering do many lads on here water down their Clik/Clikzin to make it go further and has it worked well for you ?

Clik is four times stronger than clikzin yet near nearly as dear. the only disadvantage iis that you're diluting the dye as well and it can be difficult to see what you've done by the time you get to the end of a big batch, we split them into small batches for that reason.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

wrangler wrote: »
    Clik is four times stronger than clikzin yet near nearly as dear. the only disadvantage iis that you're diluting the dye as well and it can be difficult to see what you've done by the time you get to the end of a big batch, we split them into small batches for that reason.....

How do you input that into your bird Bia book then?

How do you input that into your bird Bia book then?

It goes in as clik, it has to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Looking out at the soft rain thats falling, looking forward to a burst of grass after it !!!

We had plenty showers today - NONE of them I would class as soft rain, quite the opposite in fact... :)

Grass seems to be coming on a bit all right... slowly... need more heat...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Grass is really turning green here now at the moment. Started lambing Saturday. First two lambs born in an absolute torrential downpour but both up and sucked within minutes. Had a bit of hassle with an old ewe thats a real pet who prolapsed on Friday. Had to get the vet to her to stitch her and then she lambed with difficulty on Saturday. One of the first ewes we ever had here and the first time shes ever had to be assisted at lambing, Will be sad when she goes at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

We had plenty showers today - NONE of them I would class as soft rain, quite the opposite in fact... :)

Grass seems to be coming on a bit all right... slowly... need more heat...

Tis fair late this year, but after a few weeks of grass, all the bad memories fade and we do the same next year again :-)

It goes in as clik, it has to

No sorry I meant that question differently. Say without diluting it you treat the sheep with 50ml of clik. If you dilute it 4 parts water to one part clik you are only treating the sheep with 10ml of clik. Do you just put down that you treated them for 10ml in the book?

No sorry I meant that question differently. Say without diluting it you treat the sheep with 50ml of clik. If you dilute it 4 parts water to one part clik you are only treating the sheep with 10ml of clik. Do you just put down that you treated them for 10ml in the book?

Yea. what ever mount of Clik we used per sheep. It still has to abide by the Clik withdrawal so not suitable for every situation that you can use Clikzin

• Advertisement

Yea. what ever mount of Clik we used per sheep. It still has to abide by the Clik withdrawal so not suitable for every situation that you can use Clikzin

Ok thanks for the info. Suppose I was wondering would Bord Bia take a dim view of diluting a product but obviously you had no issues so it’s ok.

Ok thanks for the info. Suppose I was wondering would Bord Bia take a dim view of diluting a product but obviously you had no issues so it’s ok.

We don't say it's diluted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Grass is really turning green here now at the moment. Started lambing Saturday. First two lambs born in an absolute torrential downpour but both up and sucked within minutes. Had a bit of hassle with an old ewe thats a real pet who prolapsed on Friday. Had to get the vet to her to stitch her and then she lambed with difficulty on Saturday. One of the first ewes we ever had here and the first time shes ever had to be assisted at lambing, Will be sad when she goes at the end of the year.

You only started to lamb this week? Maybe it would be the right time, low costs and high prices in the autumn

Started lambing Saturday.

Snap.

DJ98 wrote: »
    You only started to lamb this week? Maybe it would be the right time, low costs and high prices in the autumn

Thats the plan anyway. Good weather, good grass and hopefully a good price later in the year.

Finally getting around to concreting the handling yard here, what depth of concrete would be required? Will be no machinery or any other vehicles crossing it, just sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Finally getting around to concreting the handling yard here, what depth of concrete would be required? Will be no machinery or any other vehicles crossing it, just sheep.

4in should do, I'd throw mesh in it though while your at it??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Don't skimp anyways , put it down once and right , 4 inches on a solid , compacted base

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Tileman

Sheep farmers investing. Amazing what a good good year does.
    We will be buying new tractors like the dairy men if the good prices keep up

Tileman wrote: »

Long may it continue :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

Don't skimp anyways , put it down once and right , 4 inches on a solid , compacted base

Agree with this - don't think there any need for mesh for just sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Takes 1 year get over a bad one
    Takes 4 to get over a good one.
    I can just see the factories doing some riding next spring!!!

Well lads, Would anyone know a breeder of polled dorset's?. Im lloking for a ewe lamb for a present for the missus (shes cracked about them)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Well lads, Would anyone know a breeder of polled dorset's?. Im lloking for a ewe lamb for a present for the missus (shes cracked about them)

I know a breeder in Stranorlar in Donegal if that’s any good.

OneMan37 wrote: »
    I know a breeder in Stranorlar in Donegal if that’s any good.

Bit of a spin for me as im in North Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

I’ve some here . Would 3/4 bred ewe lambs suite you ? Really good sheep . Nice and tight . No loose woolly stuff that’s all over done deal

Young95 wrote: »
    I’ve some here . Would 3/4 bred ewe lambs suite you ? Really good sheep . Nice and tight . No loose woolly stuff that’s all over done deal

Yep id imagine theyd be grand. Ill pm you

It's a job that's being going on now for 2 years at this stage, the prices are helping to get it done alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭orm0nd

A guy on twitter that tweets under The Tipperary Farmer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

I've a dozen or so ewe lambs here, all Dec/Jan born but probably a bit too far for you Kev. Also the last time I sold pedigrees to a man in Leitrim the cost of exporting them was another £50 on top of the price, so makes it price. Try Noel Clancy in Tipp, he's bought a few rams from up this way and has good ewes.

edit: I see Ormond has already said about contacting Noel

Advertisement