Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Strange how this year is far better than last yeae

A human male releases up to a billion in every ''jump''....:D.. TMI eh
    Did you not do biology in school

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

wrangler wrote: »
    A human male releases up to a billion in every ''jump''....:D.. TMI eh
    Did you not do biology in school

I understand all that but just wondering what conditions lead to increased fertility. Same bunch of ewes bred as last year and approx a 50% increase in live lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Does the ram have any input on how prolific the lambing is?. Almost finished lambing and im at 212% after using a zwarbtle this year.

Not meant to, but to be fair I used 2 Dorsets this year for the first time and all 40 ewes went into lamb. Lambing percentage of ewe lambs was high too. The Dorsets are extremely active, I’ve heard mixed things about the Zwarbtles, hope they are doing well for you.

I understand all that but just wondering what conditions lead to increased fertility. Same bunch of ewes bred as last year and approx a 50% increase in live lambs.

Rising plane of nutrition, ewes in good health, ram effect, second heat is more prolific than the first.
    Ewes are supposed to be more prolific in march than other months.
    If a ewe is under condition score 3 and over condition score 4 they won't be as prolific, even wet cold weather at mating effects it. all your ewes could breed the worst week of the mating
    If there was a 50% difference, it's likely your ewes were overfat or thin

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

Does the ram have any input on how prolific the lambing is?. Almost finished lambing and im at 212% after using a zwarbtle this year.

the number of eggs produced by the ewes ovaries depends on nutrition and genetics.

the eggs have been shed from the ovary and are travelling down the fallopian tube by the time the ram serves the ewe.

if there is only one egg no amount of semen is going to make any more.

if multiple eggs are shed they may not all implant the number that do depend on the health of the ewe (nutrition)

if multiple embryos implant they may not all continue to develop again depending largely on the ewes nutritional status

• Advertisement

serfspup wrote: »
    the number of eggs produced by the ewes ovaries depends on nutrition and genetics.

the eggs have been shed from the ovary and are travelling down the fallopian tube by the time the ram serves the ewe.

if there is only one egg no amount of semen is going to make any more.

if multiple eggs are shed they may not all implant the number that do depend on the health of the ewe (nutrition)

if multiple embryos implant they may not all continue to develop again depending largely on the ewes nutritional status

Cheers, so its more that i got nutrition better than other years rather than the rams input. Must look back on what we did different and try replicate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

https://www.donedeal.ie/trailers-for-sale/nugent-82-x-42/24492298

How many ewes or heavy lambs would that trailer hold? Looking for something easily towed behind a car to bring a go of lambs to the mart during the summer but then can also be used as a general purpose trailer the rest of the year. I was looking at an 8x5 ifor williams livestock trailer but then that really only serves the one purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

DJ98 wrote: »

How many ewes or heavy lambs would that trailer hold? Looking for something easily towed behind a car to bring a go of lambs to the mart during the summer but then can also be used as a general purpose trailer the rest of the year. I was looking at an 8x5 ifor williams livestock trailer but then that really only serves the one purpose.

I’ll guess 14 factory lambs?

Would you need the BE licence for that trailer?

If was me, I’d go for an 8x5, but the same as the one you have in the link.
    I‘d prefer a single axel 7x4 to the one you linked, as that trailer you linked is kinda small for big jobs, but then bigger than a nice handy 7x4 single axel...
    But, different people might have different opinions here...

I have a 7x4 brings 11 lambs...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

Only problem with that type of trailer is you run the risk of a ewe or lamb jumping out over the top of it. All they have to do is hop up on each others backs n jump out so unless your gonna put some some sort of mesh roof on it I'd stay away from it

Sami23 wrote: »
    Only problem with that type of trailer is you run the risk of a ewe or lamb jumping out over the top of it. All they have to do is hop up on each others backs n jump out so unless your gonna put some some sort of mesh roof on it I'd stay away from it

They need a tarpaulin over them any way, sheep get destroyed on a wet day, especially if you're passing lorries with a big spray.
    A taurpaulin would solve it and the sheep jumping out.
    The ideal would be to get a lift off canopy made like IWs have on their small trailers

This is a nice trailer and at 750kg gross it doesn't need a trailer license

https://www.donedeal.ie/trailers-for-sale/new-inn-trailer-centre/19852546

• Advertisement

Would that extra bit of width make much of a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

They need a tarpaulin over them any way, sheep get destroyed on a wet day, especially if you're passing lorries with a big spray.
    A taurpaulin would solve it and the sheep jumping out.
    The ideal would be to get a lift off canopy made like IWs have on their small trailers

This is a nice trailer and at 750kg gross it doesn't need a trailer license

https://www.donedeal.ie/trailers-for-sale/new-inn-trailer-centre/19852546

By the looks of it, you seem to be able to take all the sides off it, to make it a low trailer - which would be handy...
    Roof is a good option too...

I have one this size, fierce handy. Even for moving meal or fert. Would get about 13 ewes in her. Never had sheep or lambs jump. If I was getting one, now. I’d buy a 10 x 5 open top trailer. Same as one in picture only longer and wider.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I’ll guess 14 factory lambs?

Would you need the BE licence for that trailer?

I‘d prefer a single axel 7x4 to the one you linked, as that trailer you linked is kinda small for big jobs, but then bigger than a nice handy 7x4 single axel...
    But, different people might have different opinions here...

I have a 7x4 brings 11 lambs...

I have the dedicated 8x5 livestock trailer with fold down flip. Fine job. Fits 16'ish factory lambs. Only thing is your car needs to be strong enough to pull it full. When I look to change, it puts alot of restrictions on what car I can buy. Wouldnt have that issue if I moved down to a slightly smaller trailer. Like the look of the ifor pg8. Imagine using a ordinary trailer without loading gates at back a bit more awkward loading sheep.

OneMan37 wrote: »
    I have one this size, fierce handy. Even for moving meal or fert. Would get about 13 ewes in her. Never had sheep or lambs jump. If I was getting one, now. I’d buy a 10 x 5 open top trailer. Same as one in picture only longer and wider.

Priced a 10x5 today with loading gates at the back and it's coming in at about 4250 altogether. Where as the 8x4 with the gates is 3600 or thereabouts. Would there be much a difference in the weight of the 2 behind the car?

Priced a 10x5 today with loading gates at the back and it's coming in at about 4250 altogether. Where as the 8x4 with the gates is 3600 or thereabouts. Would there be much a difference in the weight of the 2 behind the car?

Nugent twin axle 10x5 is 2700kgs. 8x4 is 2000kg gross weight. The price difference isn’t huge. Hartnetts are selling 10x5 Nugent trailers for €3,100 without loading gates.

OneMan37 wrote: »
    Nugent twin axle 10x5 is 2700kgs. 8x4 is 2000kg gross weight. The price difference isn’t huge. Hartnetts are selling 10x5 Nugent trailers for €3,100 without loading gates.

The Hartnetts price is ex vat while my price above is incl vat, so probaly near enough the same would it? Vat at 23%is it?

The Hartnetts price is ex vat while my price above is incl vat, so probaly near enough the same would it? Vat at 23%is it?

Ahh yeah. Good bit to pay out, but galvanized trailer could last 25 years or more.

10x5 is a big trailer for a car. Anything bigger then 8ft is pushing it abit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Sami23 wrote: »

Never thought very much about the mesh sides, untill one evening last back-end at Carrigallen mart.
    A lad arrived with about a dozen lambs in such a trailer, and blood everywhere...
    He had tagged the lambs leaving home, and by the time he got to the mart half of them had at least one tag ripped out, caught in the mesh. Ears ripped, etc.

• Advertisement

10x5 is a big trailer for a car. Anything bigger then 8ft is pushing it abit

The 8x5 option would probably be the best option then in thst case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I sent a hogget that had a growth in its neck to the factory, had tried to treat it but the growth was stopping her from eating so she wasted away within 10 days.. went to factory rather than knackery !

Anyway she was a P1 and only killed into 12.5kg dead.....but I assumed I would still get a fair price per kg, they gave me €2 a kg so after deducting fees I have €22 for my hogget.

Now I’m not too panicked over the price because she would have been put down otherwise but just hate to see the factory pulling a fast one at any stage, have I grounds to ring them and see where my other €6 per kg is ?

roosky wrote: »
    I sent a hogget that had a growth in its neck to the factory, had tried to treat it but the growth was stopping her from eating so she wasted away within 10 days.. went to factory rather than knackery !

Anyway she was a P1 and only killed into 12.5kg dead.....but I assumed I would still get a fair price per kg, they gave me €2 a kg so after deducting fees I have €22 for my hogget.

Now I’m not too panicked over the price because she would have been put down otherwise but just hate to see the factory pulling a fast one at any stage, have I grounds to ring them and see where my other €6 per kg is ?

Worth the phone call anyway

P1 is only bones, there'd be nothing on her worth anymore, you were lucky to get anything.
    What did you treat her with ten days ago that didn't have a withdrawal period

P1 is only bones, there'd be nothing on her worth anymore, you were lucky to get anything.

Was it possible they cut out the affected quarter and kept the other 3/4 of lamb, downgrading whole carcass to P grade ? Often seen them cutting out things like bruised quarters off carcass before on the factory line

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

last ewe lambed monday morning , prob sunday night sometime, threw out two dead lambs should have been keeping a better eye on her she was in garden next to house and all. pity two year old ewe loads of milk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Was it possible they cut out the affected quarter and kept the other 3/4 of lamb, downgrading whole carcass to P grade ? Often seen them cutting out things like bruised quarters off carcass before on the factory line

If she'd wasn't eating for 10 days and wasted away it's unlikely the rest of the carcass was going to be grading great regardless of 1 quarter.

it was her neck/jaw that was the issue, but she wasted very quickly, she was very light so wouldn't have an issue with the carcass weight

it was her neck/jaw that was the issue, but she wasted very quickly, she was very light so wouldn't have an issue with the carcass weight

Ah fair enough. Was more curious about the cases in factory where they cut out bruised areas. Was wondering what happens to the grading of the rest of carcass in those cases. Very easy for one lamb to stand on another during transportation. Especially when transported in big lorries etc.

• Advertisement

What did you treat her with ten days ago that didn't have a withdrawal period

Ya she was shook alright but the grid they advertise is minus 10/15 cent for each grade not a drop from a base of €8 to €2.

Sorry I described it poorly, i had them in on day one and all seemed fine, in again 10 days later and she was gone very thin and large growth on her inner jaw, the vet came out to her and advised it was best to get her killed because she wouldn't respond to treatment (it wasn't an abscess or infection) so she didn't actually revive antibiotics, she was given pain relief that has no withdrawal

Advertisement