Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Dickie10 wrote: »
    last ewe lambed monday morning , prob sunday night sometime, threw out two dead lambs should have been keeping a better eye on her she was in garden next to house and all. pity two year old ewe loads of milk

Frustrating that, but next to impossible to keep a right eye on them at this stage

roosky wrote: »
    I sent a hogget that had a growth in its neck to the factory, had tried to treat it but the growth was stopping her from eating so she wasted away within 10 days.. went to factory rather than knackery !

Anyway she was a P1 and only killed into 12.5kg dead.....but I assumed I would still get a fair price per kg, they gave me €2 a kg so after deducting fees I have €22 for my hogget.

Now I’m not too panicked over the price because she would have been put down otherwise but just hate to see the factory pulling a fast one at any stage, have I grounds to ring them and see where my other €6 per kg is ?

You could look at it this way-add on the €30 the Knackery would charge to collect her so really you are €52 better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭White Clover

Open dykes/drains/sheughs with a ditch behind them, how do lads fence these for sheep? Do you put the fence at the field side along the edge of the dyke or do you fence on top of the ditch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Tileman

Open dykes/drains/sheughs with a ditch behind them, how do lads fence these for sheep? Do you put the fence at the field side along the edge of the dyke or do you fence on top of the ditch?

Doing both at moment. I prefer in at the ditch as find it harder to reach the ditch with hedge cutter . Also it’s easier to keep the drain cleaner. However I have a few fields where that’s not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭White Clover

Tileman wrote: »
    Doing both at moment. I prefer in at the ditch as find it harder to reach the ditch with hedge cutter . Also it’s easier to keep the drain cleaner. However I have a few fields where that’s not possible.

As in up on the ditch/bank? Would make cleaning out dykes easier alright. Only thing is if they're in and out of the dyke, they'd be likely to close it in over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

What price would big Borris ewe hoggets visably in lamb but ram is a mixed breed be worth?

I just discovered a few of mine in lamb and neighbour wants them. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

kk.man wrote: »
    What price would big Borris ewe hoggets visably in lamb but ram is a mixed breed be worth?

I just discovered a few of mine in lamb and neighbour wants them. Thanks in advance.

Is it more politically correct to use the term 'hybrid ram' in modern parlance?...or is that just marketing spin?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

Going to put clik extra on the lambs tomorrow, some of the lambs will be probaly fit for sale in 3 weeks at most, with the long withdrawal period would I be as well to just do the lighter lambs now and take a chance on those heavier ones? I'd be afraid that if I waited the 40 days from tomorrow to sell that I'd end up loosing out on money if prices were to drop or lambs get too heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

DJ98 wrote: »
    Going to put clik extra on the lambs tomorrow, some of the lambs will be probaly fit for sale in 3 weeks at most, with the long withdrawal period would I be as well to just do the lighter lambs now and take a chance on those heavier ones? I'd be afraid that if I waited the 40 days from tomorrow to sell that I'd end up loosing out on money if prices were to drop or lambs get too heavy.

If you have lambs that will be fit in 3 weeks surely a lot more will be ready in 6-8 weeks. Would you use clikzin and redo whatever is left in 6-8 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Shearing dry hoggets here tomorrow but it’s due to piss rain for the day Wednesday......would they be okay out or would ye leave them in for the day on Wednesday.....doesn’t really suit to leave them in as there is no bedding or feed available so they will just be in a big group holding pen for the day but would it be better than being out in the rain ?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

Shearing dry hoggets here tomorrow but it’s due to piss rain for the day Wednesday......would they be okay out or would ye leave them in for the day on Wednesday.....doesn’t really suit to leave them in as there is no bedding or feed available so they will just be in a big group holding pen for the day but would it be better than being out in the rain ?!
    They be no problem out... It's not cold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

kk.man wrote: »
    They be no problem out... It's not cold

Thanks was just nervous when it’s such a days rain promised (10ml) but it’s warm rain !

Any of ye watch the sheep webinar last night?
    The guy featured built a lovely shed

https://youtu.be/YflIbCMpKAE

Just looking for people's opinions on the above rollover crate from Stanley. While it has many features to it, is this too many? Would I be best looking elsewhere at other makes or would this be a good purchase. The price of it is somewhere around 900 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

https://youtu.be/YflIbCMpKAE

Just looking for people's opinions on the above rollover crate from Stanley. While it has many features to it, is this too many? Would I be best looking elsewhere at other makes or would this be a good purchase. The price of it is somewhere around 900 euro.

Would you find yourself needing to turn ewes an awful lot DJ?
    Not having a go - but why would you be turning them? Is it just for feet treatment?
    If so, I wonder would you be better off putting the 900 towards a foot bath or the likes?

Just a thought...

Not having a go - but why would you be turning them? Is it just for feet treatment?
    If so, I wonder would you be better off putting the 900 towards a foot bath or the likes?

Just a thought...

They wouldn't be turned very often, I applied for the tams grant and got it for mobile sheep equipment so with the 60 % grant I figured it be a handy investment along with the race, hurdles, weighing scales etc. For how often a ewe has to be turned here I could easily manage without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Just a thought...

Ihaven't used the rollover crate in years, the only ones that really need it is the rams and they're so big and stubborn that you'd have them pared by the time they concede to go into the crate. The vendeens rams were so big and long that it wasn't big enough for them anyway
    Any way I gave the crate away two years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭orm0nd

usually shear around this weekend and had arranged same ,

shearer has an accident a couple of days ago and will be out of action for a couple of weeks

besides trying to keep the fly off them ( don't really want to clik at this stage ) we had hoped to divide into different groups and move to faraway places etc.

just another little obstacle to work around in the joys of sheep farming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

orm0nd wrote: »

shearer has an accident a couple of days ago and will be out of action for a couple of weeks

besides trying to keep the fly off them ( don't really want to clik at this stage ) we had hoped to divide into different groups and move to faraway places etc.

Can you not get another shearer - usually thed be a few shearers around an area

orm0nd wrote: »

We’d be the same, always around the bank holiday weekend...

Rang my shearer a while back, no answer. Tried again last week maybe. No answer. Unusual not to hear back. Said I’d look up his home number, wasn’t sure of his address - Googled him. First results was rip.ie :(
    Poor man passed away earlier in the year and I never heard... :(

Got another lad but he won’t be on for a few weeks. But that’s all right, we’ll work around it...

• Advertisement

They wouldn't be turned very often, I applied for the tams grant and got it for mobile sheep equipment so with the 60 % grant I figured it be a handy investment along with the race, hurdles, weighing scales etc. For how often a ewe has to be turned here I could easily manage without it.

Sure if you think you’d use it, go for it. 60% grant is a nice amount...

If you’re only thinking of getting it for the grant, could the money be used better elsewhere?

If you wanted, you could count over the next few months the amount of times you have to knock a ewe. And make a note in the phone each time...
    I find sometimes you might be surprised by how often you do something if you actually track it...

We’d be the same, always around the bank holiday weekend...

Rang my shearer a while back, no answer. Tried again last week maybe. No answer. Unusual not to hear back. Said I’d look up his home number, wasn’t sure of his address - Googled him. First results was rip.ie :(
    Poor man passed away earlier in the year and I never heard... :(

Got another lad but he won’t be on for a few weeks. But that’s all right, we’ll work around it...

They'd usually be booked up these 3 or 4 weeks so it 'd be nearly impossible for a new customer to get in. My shearer is the guy that cut his hand with the saw and he'd usually shear 15 - 20000 so that'll put a lot of pressure around his area. There's not many taking it on now either

wrangler wrote: »
    They'd usually be booked up these 3 or 4 weeks so it 'd be nearly impossible for a new customer to get in. My shearer is the guy that cut his hand with the saw and he'd usually shear 15 - 20000 so that'll put a lot of pressure around his area. There's not many taking it on now either

Oh, I know.
    And to be honest, I probably should have rang my lad earlier. But you know the way you kinda have a standing booking at the same time every year...

I’m glad to find someone to be honest wrangler - I only have 50ewes to shear, so tisnt as if a lad would be making a fortune setting up in my place...

How is your nephew doing these days?

Oh, I know.
    And to be honest, I probably should have rang my lad earlier. But you know the way you kinda have a standing booking at the same time every year...

I’m glad to find someone to be honest wrangler - I only have 50ewes to shear, so tisnt as if a lad would be making a fortune setting up in my place...

How is your nephew doing these days?

He can shear about 100 in a day but he wouldn't be able do it every day. The nerves in his hand goes mad if he over does it. A big change from 250 every day,
    The hand is numb above the palm of the hand so he has to be very careful of thorns or a cut as he can't feel it. It's a tough place he's in now
    He's a carpenter by trade so splinters would be deadly as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Sami23 wrote: »

I possibly could, but this guy and myself go back for decades , I'm suprised he is still shearing on hire but he's super fit for his age .

it will all work out eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Any of ye watch the sheep webinar last night?
    The guy featured built a lovely shed

Didn’t see it . Was he carrying many ewes ?

Young95 wrote: »
    Didn’t see it . Was he carrying many ewes ?

Around the 200 iirc. It was an interesting webinar. Shed looked impressive

as a shearer it never ceases to amaze me the number of clients that have no bedding BEFORE they get the sheep shorn not as much as a bag of saw dust to put the sheep on overnight so they are dry and not full of pi55 and sh1te for the shearers .

We love to be kicked bathered and covered in sh1t just for the want of a little respect.(little doubt there will be a full chapter on the matter in the wool study the dept is funding)

Sami23 wrote: »

there is the vague possibility that most of the other shearers might be a bit busy what with the weather having been sh1te , clipping is almost a month behind normal.

and any contractor that would drop their normal clients to pick up a new one has not much respect for them (clients) and how will you feel when it is your turn to be dropped?

It is surprising that loads of chaps didn't learn to shear with all the time on their hands with lockdowns and no football to distract them:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Due to give April lambs first dose this week . What product were lads using for there first dose this year ?

Advertisement