Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,181 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    as a shearer it never ceases to amaze me the number of clients that have no bedding BEFORE they get the sheep shorn not as much as a bag of saw dust to put the sheep on overnight so they are dry and not full of pi55 and sh1te for the shearers .

We love to be kicked bathered and covered in sh1t just for the want of a little respect.(little doubt there will be a full chapter on the matter in the wool study the dept is funding)

I'd say shearers will be getting more respect from now on, there's less and less shearers every year....... It's so much easier to shear sheep when they're starved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

wrangler wrote: »
    I'd say shearers will be getting more respect from now on, there's less and less shearers every year....... It's so much easier to shear sheep when they're starved

It's a tough job alright there's no denying that but there is great money to be made if you were able to do it.
    At 3 euro a sheep lads can be taking in anywhere between 300 and 500 a day at it.
    That more than some people make in a week

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭clonagh

Young95 wrote: »
    Due to give April lambs first dose this week . What product were lads using for there first dose this year ?

Curazole.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Anyone thinking of cutting hay? Chance of a shower tomorrow morning but seems to be a window opening then.. I might chance it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Tileman

Anyone thinking of cutting hay? Chance of a shower tomorrow morning but seems to be a window opening then.. I might chance it

There is a thread in the main forum. Few people chances it. Looks good at the weekend so promising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

It is surprising that loads of chaps didn't learn to shear with all the time on their hands with lockdowns and no football to distract them:rolleyes:

Im shearing a few of my own here, very very slowly. How are you finding the ewes Lano ? My april born ones are still very sticky. The wool is still struck to some of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

as a shearer it never ceases to amaze me the number of clients that have no bedding BEFORE they get the sheep shorn not as much as a bag of saw dust to put the sheep on overnight so they are dry and not full of pi55 and sh1te for the shearers .

We love to be kicked bathered and covered in sh1t just for the want of a little respect.(little doubt there will be a full chapter on the matter in the wool study the dept is funding)

In my defense I had my sheep in from 5:30 am for shearers to arrive at 11. I had them on stone yard and then moved to concrete and kept the yards swept out and sheep were held on straw before shearing so they were clean and empty for the shearers.

What I meant about no bedding available was that I hadn’t enough straw to go bedding sheds for 200 hoggets to leave them in for a day or two after shearing if the weather turned really nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭eire23

Im shearing a few of my own here, very very slowly. How are you finding the ewes Lano ? My april born ones are still very sticky. The wool is still struck to some of them

I made a start one evening last week. They would have lambed late March, early April. Out of 50 there was only one that wasn't fit but clipped her anyways, the rest were grand. Was surprised by how good a shape they were in. Hopefully get back to it next week if the weather' stays anyways good.

eire23 wrote: »
    I made a start one evening last week. They would have lambed late March, early April. Out of 50 there was only one that wasn't fit but clipped her anyways, the rest were grand. Was surprised by how good a shape they were in. Hopefully get back to it next week if the weather' stays anyways good.

I probably started on the wrong ones. First few were older sheep with loose skin rearing twins. Skin was very easy to tear, so I had to go ultra slow and sort of set the tone. Did another few today that were much better. The sun was making them sweat and the lanolin was rising. A joy in comparison. A few sunny days should make it easier. Meanwhile, my first few shedding hoggets doing their own thing. Clean shaven without any effort from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Anyone ever see a ewe with such a bag of milk. Rearing twins and milking on both teats but its almost dragging along the ground

https://flic.kr/p/2m4BBqP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Was going to do a FEC test before dosing to see what’s best to use, would it be better have ewes and lambs together or wait until there weaned?

390kid wrote: »
    Was going to do a FEC test before dosing to see what’s best to use, would it be better have ewes and lambs together or wait until there weaned?

At what age do ye all usually wean your lambs at.
    Early March lambing here so just wondering when others wean

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Sami23 wrote: »
    Early match lambing here so just wondering when others wean

Usually around 12-14 weeks here, depending on grass, weather, selling a few stores vs finishing all, and a few other variables I can’t remember now!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I had lambs same time as you last year and weaned end of june..was worried later in year that ewes were idle too long and were over fat going to ram..had a good crop with no empties though so probably do similar again

I had lambs same time as you last year and weaned end of june..was worried later in year that ewes were idle too long and were over fat going to ram..had a good crop with no empties though so probably do similar again

It's ideal if you can have the ewes following the lambs from weaning on, the lambs get the best of the grass in each field and ewes the lesser quallity grass.
    Ewes will go over fat if they're on good grass all the time, they'll even get overfat if they're left with the lambs

The weekend before the 12th of july for circa paddys day lambs,what we usually went with

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Anyone ever see a ewe with such a bag of milk. Rearing twins and milking on both teats but its almost dragging along the ground

https://flic.kr/p/2m4BBqP

51236725491_f2a5053e51.jpg20210609_214811 by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr Proper phot this time

Would ye introduce any meal after weaning to speed up the fattening of them or just grass alone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Saw 2 groups weaned today. Fine size as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Early March lambing here so just wondering when others wean

Usually wean around first second week in July lambed around 10th March

• Advertisement

Would ye introduce any meal after weaning to speed up the fattening of them or just grass alone ?

I tend to feed for management as opposed to fattening. I just give them a pick of feed so that they come to me and are easily moved etc. I'm on a small scale though so probably different to most real sheep farmers.. no dog

I tend to feed for management as opposed to fattening. I just give them a pick of feed so that they come to me and are easily moved etc. I'm on a small scale though so probably different to most real sheep farmers.. no dog

My quad died last year and I've been farming a 150 ewe flock the same way. No dog either. Plenty of penning and a bag of nuts. Let the sheep come to me, instead of the other way around. Do have to do abit of walking on occasions, but it works ok.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Weaned 2 weeks ago here and the lambs broke back to the ewes this morning. They weren’t looking for them, just broke out of where they were into a grove of trees. The ewes were on the other side of the grove so they went into them.

Loads of grass everywhere though so I think I’ll leave them and the lambs can go without the pick of meal I was giving them

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Would noremectin be okay to give lambs there first worm dose with ? Thought it was a white dose but it’s actually clear ! It states that it those nermoditus on it

Young95 wrote: »
    Would noremectin be okay to give lambs there first worm dose with ? Thought it was a white dose but it’s actually clear ! It states that it those nermoditus on it

Yes, you can dose them with noromectin.
    Any thing will kill nemotodirus, white dose is recommended for nemotodirus because it's useless on a lot of farms for any of the other types of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    51236725491_f2a5053e51.jpg20210609_214811 by Kevin Hogan, on Flickr Proper phot this time

Never seen one like that before. Are her lambs in good shape? Sometimes a ewe can have sore teats and she wont let the lambs suck. So the bag gets bigger and bigger. Id give her a milking off it it was me...

Never seen one like that before. Are her lambs in good shape? Sometimes a ewe can have sore teats and she wont let the lambs suck. So the bag gets bigger and bigger. Id give her a milking off it it was me...

Two serious lambs with her. Will turn her up tomorrow and milk her out

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭k mac

Have ewes that I bought with lambs at foot when dagging the ewes the other day I noticed something very strange on one I have attached a photo buts it hard see it, it's like little pieces of 4 or 5 wires coming out of her, now there are covered in muck so as I said hard to see. My thinking would it be that the ewe prolapsed and was stitched up with these. Know nothing about it as new to sheep but if a ewe is stitched do they not dissolve like the ones used on people. Any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Country lad

no they don.t dissolve just get a scissors and cut then out yourself onless you selling ewe and not keeping her for breeding you can leave them in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭k mac

no they don.t dissolve just get a scissors and cut then out yourself onless you selling ewe and not keeping her for breeding you can leave them in

Thanks. Don't think I'll be keeping her for breeding now if she prolapsed before

Advertisement