Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭White Clover

What minerals or bolus' are people giving to lambs this year? I used always use grovite sheep drench but it is gone very expensive lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Tileman

What minerals or bolus' are people giving to lambs this year? I used always use grovite sheep drench but it is gone very expensive lately.

Everybody is putting up prices as lamb price has being good for OST year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Wieghed the lambs today 90days average age 32kgs

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

wrangler wrote: »
    Wieghed the lambs today 90days average age 32kgs

What ram are you using on your ewes wrangler?

Young95 wrote: »
    What ram are you using on your ewes wrangler?

We're using three rams. we've got a very high starred charolais and he's leading the charge on weight gain, his lambs are putting on 60gms/day more than the Lleyns lambs and 20gms/day more than the vendeen lambs.
    The vendeen lambs are all out of ewelambs

• Advertisement

We're using three rams. we've got a very high starred charolais and he's leading the charge on weight gain, his lambs are putting on 60gms/day more than the Lleyns lambs and 20gms/day more than the vendeen lambs.
    The vendeen lambs are all out of ewelambs

Interesting.. is the Charolais ram good rating for days to slaughter? I’m thinking of one myself this year needs something that goes well with lleyn ewes

Interesting.. is the Charolais ram good rating for days to slaughter? I’m thinking of one myself this year needs something that goes well with lleyn ewes

Yea, he's 20 days, he breeds great growthy lambs, got him as a hogget in the sheep Ireland sale for €500., he was fifth lot so sale wasn't going properly.
    I saw similar breeding the following year making near €2000

Yea, he's 20 days, he breeds great growthy lambs, got him as a hogget in the sheep Ireland sale for €500., he was fifth lot so sale wasn't going properly.
    I saw similar breeding the following year making near €2000

20 days is fair going to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

How much would you pay for good quality 3YO Hilltex ewes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭clonagh

Had the shearer in today. He was saying the wool was very dry on some of the sheep, is there a reason for this, are they lacking something? They're in reasonabley good condition otherwise...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

clonagh wrote: »
    Had the shearer in today. He was saying the wool was very dry on some of the sheep, is there a reason for this, are they lacking something? They're in reasonabley good condition otherwise...

We used to have a sheaer that blamed it on cobalt (or a lack there of)

He mentioned cobalt too but they got two doses of cobalt with B12 in the last 2 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

He mentioned cobalt too but they got two doses of cobalt with B12 in the last 2 months...

What kind of sward were they on??

Birdnuts wrote: »
    What kind of sward were they on??
    Not sure exactly what you mean...

Not sure exactly what you mean...

The wool usuallty reflects the previous year, it could be in bad condition due to something that occured during the year, mastitis, infection after lambing etc

The wool usuallty reflects the previous year, it could be in bad condition due to something that occured during the year, mastitis, infection after lambing etc

Ok, thanks. The dry(ish )wool issue seemed to be across all the sheep rather than just a few.

I have a hoggot ewe that seems to have broken the lower part of her rear leg near her hoof .. is there anything I can do to set it again or is she better off going to the factory?

I have a hoggot ewe that seems to have broken the lower part of her rear leg near her hoof .. is there anything I can do to set it again or is she better off going to the factory?

We'd put a a splint on them surrounded by those cotton wool rolls and silage tape.... not too tight but tight enough to stay on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Had the shearer here today and he said he’d be interested in buying a few ewes off me as I’m cutting back numbers.

There’s 20 nice ewes that I might sell him if the price was right. They’re two-year-olds, Suffolk-sired, out of good maternal ewes - Llyen, Belclare, and mule types. Decent size but not huge. Smart heads with mostly speckled colouring.

Any idea what a decent price might be for them?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Had the shearer here today and he said he’d be interested in buying a few ewes off me as I’m cutting back numbers.

There’s 20 nice ewes that I might sell him if the price was right. They’re two-year-olds, Suffolk-sired, out of good maternal ewes - Llyen, Belclare, and mule types. Decent size but not huge. Smart heads with mostly speckled colouring.

They'll make e250 anyway,whether they will ever get e250 outta em is another question though

Fat factory ewes are making e140 plus sure

• Advertisement

They'll make e250 anyway,whether they will ever get e250 outta em is another question though

Fat factory ewes are making e140 plus sure

Thanks for that. I had 200 in my head for some reason. But I’ll have a chat with him later today anyway.

I’m not pushed to sell them but would leave them off if the money was right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Two year old as in hoggets that lambed this spring?.....even with the good prices this year, it will still take a very good hogget to make over €200...

roosky wrote: »
    Two year old as in hoggets that lambed this spring?.....even with the good prices this year, it will still take a very good hogget to make over €200...

They were born in Spring 2019 and lambed for the first time in Spring 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Thanks for that. I had 200 in my head for some reason. But I’ll have a chat with him later today anyway.

I’m not pushed to sell them but would leave them off if the money was right

Deffo worth more than 200. I was thinking 220 to 230 ..

orm0nd wrote: »
    Deffo worth more than 200. I was thinking 220 to 230 ..

what would you say they are worth if they were dry hoggets for the ram this back end so ?

Are you saying 1 crop of lambs is adding value to them or are you saying they are worth €250 as hoggets ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭orm0nd

roosky wrote: »
    what would you say they are worth if they were dry hoggets for the ram this back end so ?

Are you saying 1 crop of lambs is adding value to them or are you saying they are worth €250 as hoggets ?

I'm replying to the query.

I'm saying what I think their value is at the present moment of time going on the prices I've seen given and asked over the last 10 days.

What I think they are worth at the back end is irrelevant.

Get down off your high horse .

orm0nd wrote: »
    I'm replying to the query.

I'm saying what I think their value is at the present moment of time going on the prices I've seen given and asked over the last 10 days.

What I think they are worth at the back end is irrelevant.

Get down off your high horse .

Sorry now I didn’t mean to come across as if I was questioning you, I genuinely wanted to know what you felt they were worth. I have hoggets here that I will be selling in the back end of the year and I have heard prices ranging hugely…..

I know that some farmers advertise hoggets as “suckled hoggets” meaning they lambed as ewe lambs and some lads see that as a positive so I was wondering if it was the same for a dry hogget v a two year old ewe that has reared a crop of lambs.

It can be hard sometimes to judge the tone on here sometimes so sorry if I sounded like I was getting smart !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

had ewe number 7 today with mastitis..never had as much of it here before..also had a cracking 35kg+ texel ewe lambs decide to throw herself under a heavy metal cattle trough and break her back...sheep are testing at the best of times!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Country lad

thats surely what you call unlucky sorry to hear all the trouble you getting with mastistis this year no none myself this year for a change as usually.have at least one every year not sure what causes it most times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Shearing done. Happy now - even though I only have a few, it’s one of those jobs I’m always glad when it’s over :)

Advertisement