Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I've sheared as late as October. We rarely get proper cold this side of Christmas anyway

ya I will be looking at last week of September at least due to work commitments but would i need to keep them in as a precaution?? I had a few that weren't shorn last year and they broke my heart getting caught in bryers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

roosky wrote: »
    ya I will be looking at last week of September at least due to work commitments but would i need to keep them in as a precaution?? I had a few that weren't shorn last year and they broke my heart getting caught in bryers

I don't think so unless we get exceptional cold like Dec 2010. IMO a big heavy fleece is not an advantage in most Irish winters due to our wet mild climate

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Anyone here have the Orange 50m roles of electrified sheep fencing? Ive got mine since March and the wire on it is just ripping apart it started off with one rip a month after I got it and has rapidily ripped since. Anyone else ever have this problem with this fencing ? Ive been very careful with the wire it just seems extremely week stuff. Ill stick up pictures tomorrow of it if anyone replies. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

farming93 wrote: »
    Anyone here have the Orange 50m roles of electrified sheep fencing? Ive got mine since March and the wire on it is just ripping apart it started off with one rip a month after I got it and has rapidily ripped since. Anyone else ever have this problem with this fencing ? Ive been very careful with the wire it just seems extremely week stuff. Ill stick up pictures tomorrow of it if anyone replies. Thanks.

What brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

have it a few year now after 3 years it finished but shouldn't be gone that quick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

roosky wrote: »
    have it a few year now after 3 years it finished but shouldn't be gone that quick

Also have It here very disappointed with it ended up just using to make runs for moving sheep

Only have it 15 months lots of tears in it and very hard to keep current up on it.

Just use 3 rows of standard with now on Gallagher reels

Its hotline 8 strand electrical wire. I might ring the company as I was always very happy with them until this and would of considered buying more off them. Its too expensive to buy when it doesn't last even 6months

cattle man wrote: »
    Also have It here very disappointed with it ended up just using to make runs for moving sheep

Only have it 15 months lots of tears in it and very hard to keep current up on it.

Yes I have also found It drains the current my current goes from 3000v to 1000v when its attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

cattle man wrote: »

Mine is fifteen years here, used it a lot for strip grazing in the winter for seven or eight years , some are wrecked where i forgot to switch it on, but if I kept power init it was fine.
    MIne came from stradbally farm supplies through a local shop, but it was dearer than some but with what everyone's saying here it wasn't that dear, it'll be good for a few more years

Yes I have also found It drains the current my current goes from 3000v to 1000v when its attached.

Need a good fencer, and good earths and 3000 volts at least for sheep, there's great insulation in wool

• Advertisement

rangler1 wrote: »
    Need a good fencer, and good earths and 3000 volts at least for sheep, there's great insulation in wool

Would a good earth bring the voltage up much? Its a Gallagher fencer but its only a bolt being used for the earth.. something bigger required you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Would a good earth bring the voltage up much? Its a Gallagher fencer but its only a bolt being used for the earth.. something bigger required you think?

Think of the earth as the returns on the fencer. The current flows through the fence and animal into the ground and back to the fencer through the earth to complete the circuit.

A bigger earth will make it easier for the current to complete the circuit.

When you say a bolt do you mean something a couple of inches long. A bigger bar would probably help.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Sorry lads 2 quick questions

Have 4 heavy ram lambs to take to Mart 50kg +

Ennis or Miltown 1/2 way between both???

What tags should be on them will white single ones do for mart?

mightn't bring voltage up but stops it from dropping when the load comes on it,
    There's 400mtrs wire in those rolls, so if you have five of those rolls ereeccted it's two kilometres of wire. and the lower ones touching the grass, so it's well loaded
    You can get proper earth bars and wire and clamps for the wire, the more earth bars the better but put two down 3mtrs apart and connect them together and then back to the fencer with the proper electric fence cable,
    Earth bars are galavnised to prevent rust as rusty ones don't work as well and about 5ft long so you drive them down as far as you can in damp soil.

It's explained better here, but the earth is very important

https://www.stafix.com/en/helpful-information/earthing-your-energizer

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheDoc77

Lambman wrote: »
    Anyone on here usemullinahones fleximatic tag tagger and would u recommend it?

I use it for lambs going to factory. I find it handy enough, they can sometimes get sort of blocked in it but it's a lot handier than having to put each individual tag into the other tagger

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

jerdee wrote: »
    Sorry lads 2 quick questions

Have 4 heavy ram lambs to take to Mart 50kg +

Ennis or Miltown 1/2 way between both???

What tags should be on them will white single ones do for mart?

As they're going to the mart they'll need one yellow tag. White are for going straight from ur gate to the factory

Sheep were dipped monday by a contractor and are still scratching today does it take a few days to kill the lice ? Osmonds dip was used

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Sheep were dipped monday by a contractor and are still scratching today does it take a few days to kill the lice ? Osmonds dip was used

Dipped or showered

Lice would be gone, might be dertmatitis, we put aluminium sulphate, also called alum, in the bath for that, it's good for the feet too

Dipped. If it is dermatitis will I wait another few days to see ? I have had terrible trouble with lice before so was hoping this would of sorted them out. Is there any way that they might of just picked up a few extra lice or another parasite from scratching after dipping and that they might take a little longer to die?

• Advertisement

Dipped. If it is dermatitis will I wait another few days to see ? I have had terrible trouble with lice before so was hoping this would of sorted them out. Is there any way that they might of just picked up a few extra lice or another parasite from scratching after dipping and that they might take a little longer to die?

No parasite would live on a dipped sheep, it works for weeks after, it'd have to.
    Lice have probably left the skin raw too, best to wait and see for a few more days, We get great results from Omonds Gold Fleece, even the wool buyer remarks on it twelve mths later saying ''you'd know the ones that dip''
    Don't have much lice here so don't know much about it

Yeah ill leave it a few day's that makes sense. Anyone vaccinate against footrot ? Considering doing that this year I am going to discuss it with my vet next week, the ewes arent bad but id like to try minimise lameness come housing in January

Yeah ill leave it a few day's that makes sense. Anyone vaccinate against footrot ? Considering doing that this year I am going to discuss it with my vet next week, the ewes arent bad but id like to try minimise lameness come housing in January

I used to have pedigrees here, they'd be in most of the winter and always vcccinated them with footvax once a year and they'd never be lame in the shed, seemed to really harden the hoof, had to get a pruning clipper with long handles to clip the hooves, the sheep one had no hope. Foot vax worked in that case, They'd be in the shed with the lambs and vaccinating the ewes stopped them infecting the lambs with footrot
    The crossbreds were only footbathed when they went into the shed and once during the winter and that worked for 95% of the sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Best of luck with the clearance sale today Rangler

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/16427042
    300 Lleyn X breeding ewes. GVM Tullamore Sat 9 Sep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Yes hope all goes well rangler

Best of luck ! Lovely looking sheep. If it was closer I would have went up.

Unreal prices today
    350 sheep averaged €188, and believe it or not all the age groups averaged around the same price, four year olds made from 175 to 195, 175 was the lowest price of the day, 180 to 197 for the three year olds, 183 to 199 for the 2 year olds, 177 to 221 for the hoggets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Unreal prices today
    350 sheep averaged €188, and believe it or not all the age groups averaged around the same price, four year olds made from 175 to 195, 175 was the lowest price of the day, 180 to 197 for the three year olds, 183 to 199 for the 2 year olds, 177 to 221 for the hoggets

175 was a very good base to be starting at!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Delighted for you. People knew the years of effort, selective recording ,and breeding that went into your flock and paid accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Unreal prices today

Well done rangler. Very good pricing. Did u have them all in groups of 10? That will set s good bench mark for the rest of the sheep breeding sales now. I know most sheep are not to the same standard but a rising tide lifts all boats and sets s bench mark for others to compare,

Advertisement