Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Country lad

i am the same always happy when shearing is finished

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Sheared the last one yesterday. It's the only job I hate with sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭eire23

joe35 wrote: »

Funny I'd be the opposite, I'd enjoy shearing. Pity the wool wasn't worth a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I dont shear them myself, so I dont do that much at all. Its not that its a job I dislike, its just a job I am always glad to have done.
    A job I REALLY disliked was covering the silage pit, god, I hated that. Those days are gone thankfully as no more pit here... :)
    eire23 wrote: »
    Funny I'd be the opposite, I'd enjoy shearing. Pity the wool wasn't worth a bit.

What price is wool these days?
    I only have a small amount, so I dont know if it would worth my time taking it to the merchant to be honest...

We've 300 sheep with poor handling facilities where sheep are summer grazed. We keep the ground round the yard for cattle during the summer.

Sheep are mostly on out farms so we end up shearing most of the ewes in a pen in the corner of a field. Unlevel ground is a torture to shear on.

As I've said every year, next year will be different ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I dont shear them myself, so I dont do that much at all. Its not that its a job I dislike, its just a job I am always glad to have done.
    A job I REALLY disliked was covering the silage pit, god, I hated that. Those days are gone thankfully as no more pit here... :)

I only have a small amount, so I dont know if it would worth my time taking it to the merchant to be honest...

I think maybe 20c a kilo or less.

So the answer is probably it will cost you more in diesel to deliver it to the merchant than you'll get for it nevermind pay you for your time even on poor sheep farmer wages.

We've 300 sheep with poor handling facilities where sheep are summer grazed. We keep the ground round the yard for cattle during the summer.

Sheep are mostly on out farms so we end up shearing most of the ewes in a pen in the corner of a field. Unlevel ground is a torture to shear on.

Best solution here,is to get rid of them ould cattle and ramp up the ewe numbers :pac:

Sheep > Cattle

I think maybe 20c a kilo or less.

So the answer is probably it will cost you more in diesel to deliver it to the merchant than you'll get for it nevermind pay you for your time even on poor sheep farmer wages.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. :(

I heard of lads putting it in as bedding under straw. Anyone ever heard of or done this?
    More as way of using it up as much as anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

I presume you are making bales, but have a pit. Given the cost of bales why would you change.?

MIKEKC wrote: »
    I presume you are making bales, but have a pit. Given the cost of bales why would you change.?

No...

We had a pit at home when I was young. The farm where I am now is different, no pit.

Either way, I don’t make pit nor bales. I try to put in crops onto stubble and then buy bales as/if I need them...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. :(

I heard of lads putting it in as bedding under straw. Anyone ever heard of or done this?
    More as way of using it up as much as anything...

Sounds interesting. I’m guessing it’d have to be well dried out. But would probably rot down faster when under the straw/dung.

Not sure how easy it would to spread the dung then though - would the wool get caught in the machine?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

No...

We had a pit at home when I was young. The farm where I am now is different, no pit.

Either way, I don’t make pit nor bales. I try to put in crops onto stubble and then buy bales as/if I need them...

Thanks, just wondering as bales are crazy expensive if you make large numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭eire23

Agreed, shearing on unlevel ground Is a torture but sometimes it can't be helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Tileman

Shearing done. Happy now - even though I only have a few, it’s one of those jobs I’m always glad when it’s over :)

Got half nine shorn last night. Christ he is getting slower every year. Do 10 sheep chat for 30 mins. Do another 10 chat for another 39 mins. Repeat, repeat etc. Next year I will have to change . I don’t have the time . Good to get some done at least. Hope he doesn’t forget to come back.

I dropped off wool Last year and never got paid. Not that it was going to be a whole pile but maybe I might get twice this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

got a ewe with mastitis this morning , she must have been down with it all last evening, went to the vet got a few injections and gave them to her , she was dead 2 hrs later...... i blame myself i took my eye off the ball and only looked at them yesterday once around 12 midday, was begging to relax now they are sheared.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Tileman wrote: »
    Got half nine shorn last night. Christ he is getting slower every year. Do 10 sheep chat for 30 mins. Do another 10 chat for another 39 mins. Repeat, repeat etc. Next year I will have to change . I don’t have the time . Good to get some done at least. Hope he doesn’t forget to come back.

I dropped off will
    Last year and never got paid. Not that it was going to be a whole pile but maybe I might get twice this year.

Is that a Carlow man by any chance?😂

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Dickie10 wrote: »
    got a ewe with mastitis this morning , she must have been down with it all last evening, went to the vet got a few injections and gave them to her , she was dead 2 hrs later...... i blame myself i took my eye off the ball and only looked at them yesterday once around 12 midday, was begging to relax now they are sheared.

You did your best for her. Part time farming here and mine are only walked through once most days. You can't be in 2 places at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

If you had the storage would be be worth a gamble keeping wool for a few years, surely the only way is up. Or how long would wool keep for? I heard my father saw they sold 6 years wool one time long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,181 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Good IGA interview here.
    500 acres, half rented, 800 ewes lambed out doors, 300 cattle all year round on contract feeding, 120 heifers being contract reared and tillage including maize for the 300.
    He works three days/week off farm as well to ward off boredom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FB_INJysgc

wrangler wrote: »
    Good IGA interview here.
    500 acres, half rented, 800 ewes lambed out doors, 300 cattle all year round on contract feeding, 120 heifers being contract reared and tillage including maize for the 300.
    He works three days/week off farm as well to ward off boredom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FB_INJysgc

Did he say that they stomach tubed every lamb?

• Advertisement

Did he say that they stomach tubed every lamb?

Yea, but they seem to get in lots of help for the lambing, I was there a few years ago during bad weather..... I'd sooner them than me

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jd310

Anyone know if patches of skin that the wool has been rubbed away on by itch will grow back soon or is there anything to help it like a cream or something? Got a bad touch by itch this year leaving breeding rams to sell in Autumn very rough looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Sami23

Have a lamb here about 2 months old not thriving at all and now has developed an awful bad chesty type of cough like if he was smoking 50 fags a day sort of cough.
    He's got the same doses as the rest of the lambs for worms etc but he's the only 1 coughing.
    He's got a few rounds of cobalt and a thriver dose also but no difference. Ewe has milk.
    I'm out of ideas.

Where would you get the sliding gate sheep hurdles. Thinking of purchasing one or 2

Sami23 wrote: »
    Have a lamb here about 2 months old not thriving at all and now has developed an awful bad chesty type of cough like if he was smoking 50 fags a day sort of cough.
    He's got the same doses as the rest of the lambs for worms etc but he's the only 1 coughing.
    He's got a few rounds of cobalt and a thriver dose also but no difference. Ewe has milk.
    I'm out of ideas.

Sounds like pnuemonia, but he must have it a while, did you ever take his temperature.

Just had the second mastitis today, and just discovered that they were mother and daughter.The mother got it in april when her lambs were a month old, she reared one anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

I'm out of ideas.

Definitely worth taking his temperature.....sounds like pneumonia......was he done for the Clostridial diseases?

Definitely worth taking his temperature.....sounds like pneumonia......was he done for the Clostridial diseases?

No I haven't taken his temperature and yes Wrangler he's this way for a while now.
    His Mother got covexin 10 but not the lamb.

What would be best to give him for the cough

No I haven't taken his temperature and yes Wrangler he's this way for a while now.
    His Mother got covexin 10 but not the lamb.

What would be best to give him for the cough

He sounds chronic now , I wonder did the dose go down the wrong way.
    Try engemycin, alamycin, or similar.might help
    He could be chesty from a dose going the wrong way or having pnuemonia for a while

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    He sounds chronic now , I wonder did the dose go down the wrong way.
    Try engemycin, alamycin, or similar.might help
    He could be chesty from a dose going the wrong way or having pnuemonia for a while

I don't think the dose went the wrong way as he hasn't been thriving for a good while now even before the doses

Advertisement