Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

rangler1 wrote: »
    Unreal prices today
    350 sheep averaged €188, and believe it or not all the age groups averaged around the same price, four year olds made from 175 to 195, 175 was the lowest price of the day, 180 to 197 for the three year olds, 183 to 199 for the 2 year olds, 177 to 221 for the hoggets

Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I am looking at these mule ewes that are so popular and i do like them but don't like the idea of a ewe that's 50% mountain.

If i bought a BFL ram and put him on my ewes (Suffolk*texel and LLeyn*texel) would i have a mule of sorts that i could keep for replacements with the BLF bringing the size, prolificacy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

roosky wrote: »
    I am looking at these mule ewes that are so popular and i do like them but don't like the idea of a ewe that's 50% mountain.

If i bought a BFL ram and put him on my ewes (Suffolk*texel and LLeyn*texel) would i have a mule of sorts that i could keep for replacements with the BLF bringing the size, prolificacy
    Theyd be very hungry sheep . i wouldnt bother. Had the like of tgem before v big sheep.

Theyd be very hungry sheep . i wouldnt bother. Had the like of tgem before v big sheep.

hungry as in screws or hungry as in big size of ewes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

sea12 wrote: »
    Well done rangler. Very good pricing. Did u have them all in groups of 10? That will set s good bench mark for the rest of the sheep breeding sales now. I know most sheep are not to the same standard but a rising tide lifts all boats and sets s bench mark for others to compare,

Yea, groups of 9 to 11, lot no 5 was sold at €187 and the person it was put down to claimed they didn't buy them so we ran them at the end, they made €221,
    Prices for breeding sheep are depressed around here anyway, so that trade was totally unexpected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Yea, groups of 9 to 11, lot no 5 was sold at €187 and the person it was put down to claimed they didn't buy them so we ran them at the end, they made €221,
    Prices for breeding sheep are depressed around here anyway, so that trade was totally unexpected[/quote

Great result..enjoy takin it a bit easier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Cyclist101

Prices for breeding sheep are depressed around here anyway, so that trade was totally unexpected

It's over 20 years since I was farming but I still look forward to reading your posts each day Rangler1 as they are so informative. I often long to go back farming sheep part time when I retire and dream of reading back on all your posts to refresh myself then on what best practice is. So:
    a) well done on the sale; delighted for you;
    b) I'm glad you're still keeping your hand in with a few around the house; and
    c) keep up the boards posting

Now that you are retired, have you ever thought of writing a book to show the rest of us how it's done.

Cyclist101 wrote: »
    It's over 20 years since I was farming but I still look forward to reading your posts each day Rangler1 as they are so informative. I often long to go back farming sheep part time when I retire and dream of reading back on all your posts to refresh myself then on what best practice is. So:
    a) well done on the sale; delighted for you;
    b) I'm glad you're still keeping your hand in with a few around the house; and
    c) keep up the boards posting

Now that you are retired, have you ever thought of writing a book to show the rest of us how it's done.

Thanks for all that, I think a book on how it's not done would be nearer as we wouldn't be the norm, Someone reminded me yesterday of a sheep conference he was at on our farm in 2012 and how we definitely didn't preach out of the teagasc Bible.
    I presume you're a cyclist, I used to train for and do the old Maracycle in the nineties, but only used to do a few 20 or 30 km spins every year since to unwind
    I've bought a new bike for my retirement and maybe get some decent fitness now, have some serious weight to lose first though.
    ''The road to hell is paved with good intentions''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

What's not to like about a sheep with 50% mountain in background. That's where all the maternal instincts breed through?

Using a BFL on Suffolk & texel ewes I would be getting into very big sheep imo

Unreal prices today
    350 sheep averaged €188, and believe it or not all the age groups averaged around the same price, four year olds made from 175 to 195, 175 was the lowest price of the day, 180 to 197 for the three year olds, 183 to 199 for the 2 year olds, 177 to 221 for the hoggets

Well done to ye both. That's some average and a nice lump sum to retire on.
    I was on your farm in 2012 too and was very impressed but you also have the land to complement your good stockmanship

• Advertisement

razor8 wrote: »
    Well done to ye both. That's some average and a nice lump sum to retire on.
    I was on your farm in 2012 too and was very impressed but you also have the land to complement your good stockmanship

Yea, very lucky with the land, lucky that my father wouldn't bother buying bad land, ...don't know how he paid for it, wasn't easy,
    Met a good few yesterday that were on the farm in 2012..hard to believe we were building PR from that far back.
    'twas like a funeral without a corpse yesterday, nice meeting everyone. sheep people are great people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Congrats rangler!
    Sounds like a very successful day. I wish you all the best with your semi retirement

razor8 wrote: »
    What's not to like about a sheep with 50% mountain in background. That's where all the maternal instincts breed through?

Using a BFL on Suffolk & texel ewes I would be getting into very big sheep imo

Just worried about lambs being hard finished

Just worried about lambs being hard finished

They maybe slightly harder to finish but they more than make up for it on maternal side and lambs will grow a lot faster because of the milk supply

Yea, very lucky with the land, lucky that my father wouldn't bother buying bad land, ...don't know how he paid for it, wasn't easy,
    Met a good few yesterday that were on the farm in 2012..hard to believe we were building PR from that far back.
    'twas like a funeral without a corpse yesterday, nice meeting everyone. sheep people are great people

Wouldnt like to be buying it now and trying to make money off it that's for sure

Well done again

When do maggots stop being an issue in your experience, I though this colder and wetter than average august/September we had in the northwest would have avoided maggots but I am seeing a few cases still. I cant really justify click and dipping inst an option at the minute !

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

I've seen maggots here on the south east coast in October in a good autumn. But it's starting to get cooler earlier this year. When did you dip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Store lambs here injected with ivermectin and copper bolused but scouring like hell. A lot of people finding the same. Frustrating.

When do maggots stop being an issue in your experience, I though this colder and wetter than average august/September we had in the northwest would have avoided maggots but I am seeing a few cases still. I cant really justify click and dipping inst an option at the minute !

Spray them with sheep dip is another cheaper option if you're not going to sell for 40days, maggots this time of the year do a lot of harm very quick

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Willfarman wrote: »
    Store lambs here injected with ivermectin and copper bolused but scouring like hell. A lot of people finding the same. Frustrating.

Yip have a few the same way. Puttin it down to the wet weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Willfarman wrote: »
    Dung sampled pedigree texel lambs here coz there dirty and came back all clear there doing well so I'm just putting it down till the wet grass

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

Have a few old skinny ewes that need to he culled. Do factories have a minimum dead weight or fat score? Easier to bring them to factory than the mart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Vandy West wrote: »
    Have a few old skinny ewes that need to he culled. Do factories have a minimum dead weight or fat score? Easier to bring them to factory than the mart.

You will get on much better in mart for thin ewes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭kk.man

sea12 wrote: »
    You will get on much better in mart for thin ewes.

What DW on cast ewes do factories pay to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

kk.man wrote: »

It differs. But approx 35kg

kk.man wrote: »

You would be looking at 40% ko on fleshed ewes and obviously worse with thin ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

How long after spraying with mpca must you wait before sheep can graze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

DJ98 wrote: »
    How long after spraying with mpca must you wait before sheep can graze

It's on the back label but from meme tort I think it's 14 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

What dosing guns do lads use for vitamin doses

Find most don't leave through the vitamins properly (too thick??)

Use this: (do lads find em any good??)
    https://goo.gl/images/iAYzcV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What dosing guns do lads use for vitamin doses

Find most don't leave through the vitamins properly (too thick??)

Use this: (do lads find em any good??)
    https://goo.gl/images/iAYzcV

How many ya dosing?
    Do cattle auto drenchers have larger openings?
    The best auto drenchers are the nj Philips ones

Advertisement