Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

kk.man wrote: »
    I found bringing factory fit sleep to the Mart is a disaster..agents getting a good cut of them. I swore I'd never do it again after this summer. I was going to the Mart to buy sheep so trying to kill two birds with one stone.

I wasnt happy with what factory gave me for last culls so i suppose Im never happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

roosky wrote: »
    sold culls last nigh, big ewes but 70 was all i could get for them, Ill factory them anymore.

I also had 48 kg ram lambs, well fleshed 85 was all i was getting, they will go to ICM monday

trade very poor last nigh in Elphin

Trade was bad there the last couple of weeks in Elphin. A lot of lambs not sold last week. Really only 1 man buying lambs.

Trade sounds worse than last week though. 48kg lambs would've gone over 90 I think.

What are the factories paying. I think they pulled the price and it's not helping. Even when the lambs were finished being sold last week and not many bought it was hard to get much more from the buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

sold culls last nigh, big ewes but 70 was all i could get for them, Ill factory them anymore.

I also had 48 kg ram lambs, well fleshed 85 was all i was getting, they will go to ICM monday

trade very poor last nigh in Elphin

What weight would them ewes have been roosky? Were they fleshy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Never got a chance to dose the ewes before letting rams out a month ago (for fluke and worms), would it be ok to dose them or would the handling be too much for them at this stage? Or would they be better to wait until housing?

Also on a side note when would ewes lambing in early feb need to be scanned- before or after christmas? I know its recommened 80 days post ram turn out but do calculate that as 80 days from the first ewe tipped or the last ewe tipped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

DJ98 wrote: »
    Never got a chance to dose the ewes before letting rams out a month ago (for fluke and worms), would it be ok to dose them or would the handling be too much for them at this stage? Or would they be better to wait until housing?

Also on a side note when would ewes lambing in early feb need to be scanned- before or after christmas? I know its recommened 80 days post ram turn out but do calculate that as 80 days from the first ewe tipped or the last ewe tipped?

80 days from ram turn out, so you'll be scanning early December
    if you know when the last ewe was mated, she'll need at least 35 to 40 days from mating before she can be scanned accurately.
    If the ewes are adult ewes worms won't be a problem but if fluke is an issue on your farm you should handle them carefully and dose them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

rangler1 wrote: »
    80 days from ram turn out, so you'll be scanning early December
    if you know when the last ewe was mated, she'll need at least 35 to 40 days from mating before she can be scanned accurately.
    If the ewes are adult ewes worms won't be a problem but if fluke is an issue on your farm you should handle them carefully and dose them

We’ll be giving fluke dose next week too - is there any issue with giving 2nd Tribovax shot at the same time?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

We’ll be giving fluke dose next week too - is there any issue with giving 2nd Tribovax shot at the same time?

Thankfully I know nothing about fluke or dosing so can't really advise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thankfully I know nothing about fluke or dosing so can't really advise.

Lucky you - if only we had such dry land :)

Ah in fairness, tis just a few low-lying fields where the sheep are at the moment. It got fairly wet here a few weeks back so was planning on dosing with a fluke drench when we'll have them in anyway for their 2nd "blackleg" shot.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Would yous think a ram lamb would tip 30 hoggets first time around or should I get him help.. hoggets are flushed so want a tight lambing.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

I found a lamb with a ruptured eyeball yesterday, seems like recent injury from something as there was some fresh blood on the fleece, other eye is fine. have never seen it before - what is the best course of action?

• Advertisement

MD1983 wrote: »
    I found a lamb with a ruptured eyeball yesterday, seems like recent injury from something as there was some fresh blood on the fleece, other eye is fine. have never seen it before - what is the best course of action?

I've had ewes with the eye picked out by birds if they got on their back, never seems to do them any harm, that is as long as the two eyes aren't gone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Keep an eye on him in case there's an infection. Had 2 ewes here with one eye each and no bother on them, both left this year, think they were about 7

Lambman wrote: »
    Would yous think a ram lamb would tip 30 hoggets first time around or should I get him help.. hoggets are flushed so want a tight lambing.

A fertile ram lamb will look after 30, but you need to be using a harness and noting the repeats.......just in case. You never know with a ram lamb,
    Probably better to have a backup, ideally of a different breed so you'll know if he's fertile for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Yea will be using a harness rangler and I have a backup ram... I was just putting the ram lamb with the hoggets for the first 3 weeks and then pulling him and putting hoggets into main flock till be cleaned up by stock ram... my worries was just if a lot came on close together would he be missing ones and end up spreading my lambing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

A fertile ram lamb will look after 30, but you need to be using a harness and noting the repeats.......just in case. You never know with a ram lamb,
    Probably better to have a backup, ideally of a different breed so you'll know if he's fertile for next year

how many would you say a mature ram will manage so

how many would you say a mature ram will manage so

I'd always have One ram to fifty or sixty ewes, There is a theory now that one ram on his own will do over 100 ewes, It's believed that if a ram doesn't get the smell of another ram on a ewe he'll only serve her once.

Was told that you should always put out at least 2 rams just to keep them on their feet, one ram can get lazy and take days off, if you understand me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Anyone use a raffle harness on rams? It would be awful handy for me to use but it abit afraid of problems. Any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Was told that you should always put out at least 2 rams just to keep them on their feet, one ram can get lazy and take days off, if you understand me.

I'd always taught 2 would fight and could miss sheep??

Would ya take a day off from getting the ride yourself
    (Sorry for being so blunt)

Even a ram lamb with a mature ram would do just to keep them on there toes.

But sure you'd have no one to compete with so you could come and go as you please, 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Rams will be going out on their own. Will split up the ewes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Often see it here, at the start there's plenty to go around , but after a few days they'd be eager going around, in case the other fellow would spot a ewe first. I'd raddle the Rams different colours so you'd often see one ewe served by two different Rams in quick succession. Don't think you'd ever regret having too many as opposed to too little Rams in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What size of fields do you put the ewes and rams in? I reckon a smaller field helps but I haven't tried it out yet

https://www.donedeal.ie/trailers-for-sale/-quotnew-quot-8-x-4-single-axle-mesh/8130128

Lads how many 40kg lambs or medium sized ewes would that trailer hold approxiately?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭kk.man

https://www.donedeal.ie/trailers-for-sale/-quotnew-quot-8-x-4-single-axle-mesh/8130128

Lads how many 40kg lambs or medium sized ewes would that trailer hold approxiately?

I think about 8 ewes and 10 lambs. Would the rare weight be an issue?

ganmo wrote: »
    What size of fields do you put the ewes and rams in? I reckon a smaller field helps but I haven't tried it out yet

So long field not too big....I'd imagine ewes would seek out the ram..

Much like cattle?

kk.man wrote: »
    I think about 8 ewes and 10 lambs. Would the rare weight be an issue?

What do you mean by rare weight?

What do you mean by rare weight?

Say he means tare weight....the weight of the trailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Say he means tare weight....the weight of the trailer?

All them type of trailers weight about 250kg and you can put up to 500kg into it or 10 lambs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

DJ98 wrote:

Ive an ivor williams one and can take 15 ewes comfortable enough.its braked tho.mountain ewes also so smaller size ewe.

Advertisement