Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What's worse than a sheep that can jump anything.
    A sheep that thinks they can jump but can't they break feckin everythin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Will 4 strand barbed wire keep sheep in?it's for splitting a field into paddocks and seems cheapest permanent method.Would consider bull wire with electric fencer but I think barbed would do the same job.
    Any thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Willfarman wrote: »
    God 10 sheep would only be enough to annoy you when lambing. Go a minimum of 30 or don't give yourself the hassle.
    Im only moving home this week after having been working in uk during the week for past 6 yr. Will build up the numbers now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

IH784man wrote: »
    Will 4 strand barbed wire keep sheep in?it's for splitting a field into paddocks and seems cheapest permanent method.Would consider bull wire with electric fencer but I think barbed would do the same job.
    Any thoughts

Any possibility of making it electric?

I'd imagine barbed would long term get blocked with wool?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Any thoughts

Is there much difference to replace 3 of those strands with sheep wire. It's probably easier put up and in the long run will be a better job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Any thoughts

NO.........learned the hard way.....

I had neighbor agree to fence one mearning if i did the other, he put up siz strands of barb bottom one was 6 to 8 inches from the ground......ewes just used the bottom wire to comb their fleece as they went under it !!!

So 4 strand electric with 2 fencers on 2 strands each?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Sheep wire is your only option really.

The second fencer will nearly buy a roll of sheep wire. Have you much distance to do when you want to avoid the sheep wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

We have a few fields fenced by 4 strands (too rocky for proper conor posts)...we get bye with 1 fencer

Have heard of lads using five strands and the second bottom one is used as an earth with earth rods every so far??

• Advertisement

The second fencer will nearly buy a roll of sheep wire. Have you much distance to do when you want to avoid the sheep wire.
    500 or more meters on a budget.

500 or more meters on a budget.

The wire adds up there alright. Could you try and do it in stages maybe 100 metres (1 roll of wire) at a time. Even if it takes an extra year do it once and have a job for life.
    Otherwise you'll be fed up looking at the one that's always going through the fence and there's always 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

https://www.donedeal.ie/sheep-for-sale/crystalyx-extra-high-energy/16556184

Anybody use these and what do make of them? Value for money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

DJ98 wrote: »

Better job than the lifeline buckets because they are harder and ewes cant bite it out as easy.

Still a very dear feed compared to throwing them a bit of meal or barley but I use them for single ewes that I dont get to see every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 LambMaster

DJ98 wrote: »

I've never used them but someone recommended them to me for older ewes as they are softer. I must get around to trying them.

Dropped a bottle of vaccination today and punctured the side of the bottle, just the size of a pin hole, just wondering would it be OK to use this later or will it now if to discarded?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I think I'd discard it as whatever punctured it contacted the contents. (Especially as it's being stored rather than used straight away)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

See the sheep welfare scheme now up on agfood as due payment

Anybody started to feed ewes yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

No, plenty of grass still here. Great growth this autumn. Hopefully no bales needed until Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Might have to change my system and house some Ewes next winter. How much hay would a ewe generally eat per month? And when to start with the nuts if on a hay diet?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

Looks like the sheep payment is in my account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

adam14 wrote: »
    Looks like the sheep payment is in my account

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Sheep payment in, discussion group cheque arrived this morning, lamb prices on the rise, this time next year we'll all be millionaires Rodney !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Runswithfeet

Sheep payment in, discussion group cheque arrived this morning, lamb prices on the rise, this time next year we'll all be millionaires Rodney !!!!

Are you with Teagasc for Discussion Group?....our local Teagasc office rang and insisted you had to call in person to collect the Cheque this week!....a pain in the B****x!

Would there be any point in mixing barley in with nuts to make them last longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i have a ewe that i got on her back last week she wont get up but is eating and lively. she stretchs out her bacck legs straight and dosent make an effort to get up. can i get her killed by a butcher? she wasnt given medication

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Moyvalley looking for lambs this morning, looking for ewes, told them i didnt have any yet, goin to weigh them next week . i have some fit but htere not getting meal and price is going up so holding out. €5 /kg was the price quoted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i have a ewe that i got on her back last week she wont get up but is eating and lively. she stretchs out her bacck legs straight and dosent make an effort to get up. can i get her killed by a butcher? she wasnt given medication

You could try some calcium subcut.... but then you've given her medication. If she's down for a while then she won't be worth killing as she's liable to have fluid accumulation in her lower areas.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement