Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

it would be great for some guy with dogs like a hunt or greyhounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Think I asked this already but is it ok to dose ewes that are 2 months in-lamb (hopefully)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

DJ98 wrote: »
    Think I asked this already but is it ok to dose ewes that are 2 months in-lamb (hopefully)?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭timmiekp

how many lambs can be ran over 50 acres for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

For how long? When do ya need them off it? Good or bad land

You could put a 1000 on it and ate in a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Depends what your dosing with/strengths surly,?

What's it say on the bottle?

Depends what your dosing with/strengths surly,?

What's it say on the bottle?

I haven't decided yet but it will be something for fluke!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I haven't decided yet but it will be something for fluke!

It says on the bottle if you can dose pregnant ewes or not. Some you can, some you cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭timmiekp

razor8 wrote: »
    For how long? When do ya need them off it? Good or bad land

You could put a 1000 on it and ate in a few weeks
    around 3 or 4 months. dry and soft ground but cant see sheep doing much damage. have 2 leantas I could finish them off on meal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

hi all,

Im looking to get my hands on three 15 foot sheep barriers if any of ye know of anyone with some to sell can ye please forward me on details.

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

roosky wrote: »
    hi all,

Im looking to get my hands on three 15 foot sheep barriers if any of ye know of anyone with some to sell can ye please forward me on details.

TIA

They're hard got this year looking for a few myself 360 is the cheapest for new ones. Might make them myself for less than 100

gazahayes wrote: »
    They're hard got this year looking for a few myself 360 is the cheapest for new ones. Might make them myself for less than 100

Fella on DD in louth that has them at 275 galvanized or 215 painted, I am thinking of making them myself but dont think i will be able to make them with a gate included for getting sheep in and out etc

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

roosky wrote: »
    Fella on DD in louth that has them at 275 galvanized or 215 painted, I am thinking of making them myself but dont think i will be able to make them with a gate included for getting sheep in and out etc

Not making them with gates shed is 77 foot long so am making 3 4 foot barriers that can swing as gates on each side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Have 30 odd ewes here,I want to vaccinate for toxo and the other injections like heptifact p to keep them right,lambing from late February/start of March to middle of April.Last dosed for fluke when ram went out.

Any help on when I should inject them with what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

IH784man wrote: »
    Have 30 odd ewes here,I want to vaccinate for toxo and the other injections like heptifact p to keep them right,lambing from late February/start of March to middle of April.Last dosed for fluke when ram went out.

As far as I know, it's too late to Vaccinate for toxo. It should be done a couple of months before mating. Heptavac P should be given 6 weeks before lambing to provide immunity for the ewe and lambs for the other diseases (pasturella, clostridial etc)

Toxovax needs to be given a month before mating. If you gave it now you’ll kill the lambs

They need two shots of heptacac four to 6 geeks apart and last shot needs to be 4 weeks pre lambing so that it passes to the lambs vía colostrum

razor8 wrote: »
    They need two shots of heptacac four to 6 geeks apart and last shot needs to be 4 weeks pre lambing so that it passes to the lambs vía colostrum

If they are already in the heptavac p system do they still need the 2 shots or just one before lambing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

So if I have ewes lambing from end of February to April when's the best time to give the 2nd shot to do the whole lot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

If they are already in the heptavac p system do they still need the 2 shots or just one before lambing?

Two shots their first year and one every year after.

Replacements should start off with two and then once a year pre lambing.

If already on system one booster shot annually 4 to 6 weeks pre lambing is all you need

• Advertisement

So if I have ewes lambing from end of February to April when's the best time to give the 2nd shot to do the whole lot?

You should do them in batch’s according to lambing date but might not be practical. If it was me I’d base timing on when you think the majority will lamb and do lambs when they a few weeks old

Have wether lambs here that were bought in the summer to finish, plan on selling on the mart in a couple of weeks, is one tag enough in there ear or do I need to replace with an eid set?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

One is enough but if they were bought in you need to write the whole flocknumber and individual number

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Have a batch of 30 ewe lambs with the ram, not lambing until 1st April onwards. Wintering them out on a field that's now turning bare.Instead of drawing silage to them, was considering lightly mealing them. How much would keep them ticking over until spring ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Have a batch of 30 ewe lambs with the ram, not lambing until 1st April onwards. Wintering them out on a field that's now turning bare.Instead of drawing silage to them, was considering lightly mealing them. How much would keep them ticking over until spring ?

I'd go with oats....have to get the lambs outta them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I fed .5kg of 15%p ration last year after taking the ram out, they turned into smashing hoggets from it, but I put them in for the last 6 weeks. scanned them, put the single up to .75kg for the last month and the doubles up to a kilo, that's all fed with straw.
    You have more control if they're in, farmers think that in March the sheep have no grass when in fact they could be eating the grass as it growing unknown to them, that grass is 20% protein and 80% DMD and that's what causes the big lambs ...and then other years grass doesn't grow at all in march and the lambs are miserable and the ewes short of milk.
    My opinion is that meal fed mid pregnancy doesn't increase lamb size but improves ewe condition and size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

wrangler wrote: »
    I fed .5kg of 15%p ration last year after taking the ram out, they turned into smashing hoggets from it, but I put them in for the last 6 weeks. scanned them, put the single up to .75kg for the last month and the doubles up to a kilo, that's all fed with straw.
    You have more control if they're in, farmers think that in March the sheep have no grass when in fact they could be eating the grass as it growing unknown to them, that grass is 20% protein and 80% DMD and that's what causes the big lambs ...and then other years grass doesn't grow at all in march and the lambs are miserable and the ewes short of milk.
    My opinion is that meal fed mid pregnancy doesn't increase lamb size but improves ewe condition and size.

Agree with you feed mid pregnancy as lamb grows most in the last 7 weeks, feeding replacement ewe lambs a pound a meal a day for the last 6 weeks to stretch them out and keep grass longer and they are doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I'd go with oats....have to get the lambs outta them?

I have access to rolled barley - I know acidosis might be an issue but I assume its ok to feed in moderate quantities as a supplement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

wrangler wrote: »

Great info there wrangler. Welcome back !

• Advertisement

Im trying to get the last of my lambs gone before Christmas but just wondering does anyone know will the factorys be killing the week before Christmas as in Monday 18th or Tuesday 19th

Also when do lambs become hoggets in the factory's eyes like if i carried these lambs into January are they worth less per kg

Advertisement