Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Willfarman wrote: »
    Do you have to record the same measures as last year?

YES

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

orm0nd wrote: »
    yes got it to day

pre ad envelope enclosed

says it can be completed on line but I can't find the link

anybody else find it ?

Spent w while looking under every tab but couldn’t find it either

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭thelegend1979

I rang about it yesterday. Link should be available by the end of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Anyone here cut sheep back on food during pregnancy....I'm about 6 weeks from lambing but worried there in too good condition and wI'll prolapse

Was planning to slightly reduce hay/silage intake and feed a certain amount straw instead?

Anyone here cut sheep back on food during pregnancy....I'm about 6 weeks from lambing but worried there in too good condition and wI'll prolapse

Was planning to slightly reduce hay/silage intake and feed a certain amount straw instead?

Lambs put on 75% of their birth weight in the last six weeks so their demand for both energy and protein increases dramatically for that time.
    Reducing input could very easily leave you with weak lambs and shortage of milk,
    Since the advent of the prolapse harness, prolapses aren't the threat they used to be be, certainly not worth risking underfeeding ewes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i actually think you should increase concentrate feed from now on and sheep will naturally eat less hay and silage. once they get their nutrient requirements they will stop eating. if they dont then they will eat more and more silage and hay and push out thier prolapse. a half kilo of nuts taakes up very little room in thier stomach

wrangler wrote: »
    Lambs put on 75% of their birth weight in the last six weeks so their demand for both energy and protein increases dramatically for that time.
    Reducing input could very easily leave you with weak lambs and shortage of milk,
    Since the advent of the prolapse harness, prolapses aren't the threat they used to be be, certainly not worth risking underfeeding ewes

Sorry for long post above

What I'm trying to say is can the increase in requirements be made up in meal and hopefully less bulky fees than the haylage?...

I'm just fearful of being too good to them and running into problems week of lambing time

Just on twins and triplets...singles I'm happy enough how they are doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

How many Grams of meal should singles and doubles get a day?

IH784man wrote: »
    How many Grams of meal should singles and doubles get a day?

Build up to around .5kg per lamb in the last month of pregnancy is a good rule of thumb, ie .5 kg for singles and 1kg plus for doubles and triplets

roosky wrote: »
    Im heading up to it so I can post the highlights here later in the week

How did you find the sheep masterclass, OH found it very good.
    She tells me that our ewes up there did better than they did here .....even a few fours in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

She tells me that our ewes up there did better than they did here .....even a few fours in them.

Reseeded grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

This is what I was thinking....I'm just wary as I know a place where they have up to a 1/3 prolasping outta a pure bred flock

I wonder is this a case of pedigree flock where ewes aren't necessarily culled for prolapse and daughters are kept because of the bloodlines.

1/3 is extremely high but I don't think it can be just down to feeding. I've seen ewes with adlib access to hay and silage with no problems really except the odd prolapse.

Is there any website where the info is put up/available

Ir would it be complete playgerism for roosky to upload the documents (if possible)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Reseeded grass?

Probably, although they were sponged so the PMS would've increased the litter size too.
    They said at the meeting that the papers for the day will be up on the ASA website in the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Is there any website where the info is put up/available

Ir would it be complete playgerism for roosky to upload the documents (if possible)

all the info will be up on the ASA website in the coming days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Lads I came across some interesting reading on the British milk sheep and I was impressed there big sheep with loads off milk and the most prolific breed in the UK with 300%+ lambs per ewe and there fit till feed them and in tests done in crossbred ewes the daughters outta the British milk sheep averaged 11% more prolific than a BFL and 26% more than a border leicster.... impressive stuff which has me wondering why don't you see them used on horned ewes till breed a different type of mules which are gonna be more milky and more prolific than the traditional mule outta a BFL.... anybody ever try it?

Build up to around .5kg per lamb in the last month of pregnancy is a good rule of thumb, ie .5 kg for singles and 1kg plus for doubles and triplets

Kiernans had a good seminar last night, they'd reckon that you feed singles 75% of doubles, my .5kg for singles might be low so.
    If you have a good crop of lambs, singles need to be in good order for fostering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

Just looking for some opinions on when to start feeding meal to Ewes pre-lambing.
    Usually I start the twins and triplets 4 weeks prior to start of lambing and singles 2 weeks before lambing. Usually separate them and start the feeding when they get their shot of Heptavac 4 weeks before lambing.

When do the rest of ye start meal feeding ?

We follow this. Got a doing a few years ago introdicing too much too soon and ewes stopping eating and throwing lambs

• Advertisement

We follow this. Got a doing a few years ago introdicing too much too soon and ewes stopping eating and throwing lambs

I'd feed around those levels, I count the straw at 55 DMD, seems to work any way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

You use this as a guide for couples only is it?

You use this as a guide for couples only is it?

Ya. Its 30% more for trebles and 30% less for singles.

Ya. Its 30% more for trebles and 30% less for singles.

The advice was 20% at kiernans seminar the other night

Most important time to feed a ewe anyway and there's some very poor rations out there..all merchants seem to have an economy 18%P as well as the good quality one.
    One of the speakers claimed that 100 ewes only needs 3 ton with silage and that €10 -€20 ton for the better ration doesn't break the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

I rang about it yesterday. Link should be available by the end of the week.

Can anyone find this link? I cant see it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

arctictree wrote: »
    Can anyone find this link? I cant see it online.

Nope just looked here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

anybody find the sheep welfare app. form on line yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

orm0nd wrote: »
    anybody find the sheep welfare app. form on line yet ?

Was online and didn't see it last night. I was looking for census but couldn't find it. Where is it located

Advertisement