Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We use hibitane plus diluted at 10 parts water to one part hibitane for a navel dip for the last few years.....it's a abit expensive but iodine didn't seem to be doing the job here.....different things work on different farms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Going to apply for some sheep fencing in tams2. What's the reference cost per mtr for sheep wire and one strand of barb wire?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

wrangler wrote: »

Spectram seems to work well. the vet at Kiernans seminar last week stressed how how infectious it was and to stand back and look at what you're doing yourself, ie seeing to to an ecoli lamb and going immediately to lamb a ewe and maybe clearing the new lambs mouth with your finger. when the Ecoli bug goes into the stomach ahead of the colostrum is a huge challenge
    We were always very conscious of that and always used a glove for lambing and clean disnfected pen then to go to, only had two ecolis out of 800 lambs last year.
    and of course getting enough colostrum.

When u say disinfected pen. Is that scraped and limed or a proper chemical spray?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

sea12 wrote: »
    Going to apply for some sheep fencing in tams2. What's the reference cost per mtr for sheep wire and one strand of barb wire?

€5.34 per metre - all reference costs here: https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/farmbuildings/tamsiisupportdocs/ReferenceCosts300617.doc

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Ok thanks and are they fairly accurate to real life quotes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Theres a higher reference cost for hill fencing.
    But if you apply for this you will get inspected before given the go ahead

When u say disinfected pen. Is that scraped and limed or a proper chemical spray?

Cleaned out, brushed, and sprayed with sorgene 5 diluted at 200 to 1,
    Lime aggravates my asthma so I use it as little as possible.
    Sorgene is a good disinfectant.
    We don't use spectram, we find good hygiene is enough.
    Had a QA inspection today and apart from missing eyewash in the first aid and biosecurity sign missing.
    the only problem she had was the small amount of antibiotic we use, she did her best to find an irregularity on the medicine records

Can’t say with any real authority, but they seem a little high to me.

There’s a €2k minimum spend as well, but you can factor in your own labour into that. Think the hourly rate is quoted at around €12

There’s a €2k minimum spend as well, but you can factor in your own labour into that. Think the hourly rate is quoted at around €12

That's 2k incl vat or ex vat? And is that gross before I get back the 60%

That's 2k incl vat or ex vat? And is that gross before I get back the 60%

Including VAT, I think but better to check. Not sure about gross vs net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Ewe down with suspected menigities I've given her two injections and gave her calcium aswel just in case it was the staggers. Anyone know the survival rate from previous experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

farming93 wrote: »
    Ewe down with suspected menigities I've given her two injections and gave her calcium aswel just in case it was the staggers. Anyone know the survival rate from previous experiences?

very good if got in time and given long term antibiotics, had 1 down for 3 weeks and she made a full recovery , kept her turned and lifted a few times a day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

farming93 wrote: »

Unless you can differentiate, treat for Twin Lamb as well.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just a quick reminder about the sheep census, tomorrow is the last day for postage (and get proof of postage) but you have until the 14th of next month to send it off online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Interesting piece on the journal about performance trials grazing ewes and lambs on perennial ryegrass, clover and ryegrass, 6 species and 9 species. The more species the better the thrive and less the worm burden and less nitrogen usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Good evening in loughrea at the national sheep conference. Really enjoy listening to Philip creighton

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

Fencing costs are gone above the reference now. About 6 a metre for timber posts and 7 for clipex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

sounds like a good teagasc walk beside me on feb 9th a man with 600 ewes lambing outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Dickie10 wrote: »
    sounds like a good teagasc walk beside me on feb 9th a man with 600 ewes lambing outdoors

Where is that??

Where is that??

Bellewstown in trim.

• Advertisement

Good evening in loughrea at the national sheep conference. Really enjoy listening to Philip creighton

I was there, Philip always tells it as it as it is,
    I like his thinking when he says the last thing to do is reseeding when you have everything else perfected
    Tommy Boland was good too I thought
    I could've went to the bar after that, I thought fiona lovatt was wasted,
    They could've asked to do a presentation on so many other things that she'd be better at.

I like his thinking when he says the last thing to do is reseeding when you have everything else perfected
    They could've asked to do a presentation on so many other things that she'd be better at.
    Has he come to that conclusion on 'old'15 yrs old fields in athenry or fields that havent been reseeded in 40 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Bellewstown in trim.

Yes it should be good know tom fairly well, im interested to see how his ewes are doing on the kale in this weather

Has he come to that conclusion on 'old'15 yrs old fields in athenry or fields that havent been reseeded in 40 years ?

No,he was saying there's no point reseeding if all your soil indexes are low, Ph is low, Or your paddocks are too big to manage properly, I've seen plenty of examples around the country where reseeded land reverted to wild grasses in a few years due to lack of management.
    People should get all their ducks in a row before reseeding, It's not milk we're selling and reseeding isn't cheap.
    He was stressing that even small steps make a difference, it depends where you're starting, If you're already at 10 ewes/ha, you probably won't increase without reseeding, but the average is maybe 7ewe/ha.
    I've often commented here on the way reseeded ground is wasted, most of our ground is 30 years +reseeded and we carried 16ewes/ha up till mid sept on the equivalent of 100kg CAN/acre. Athenry had no better thrive than us all year
    I could've carried more if I had a rotation of 21 days and the paddocks the right size to graze off in 3 days.
    Some of the questions there tonight reflected some inexperienced farmers so Philips presentation had to suit everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I could have happily left after the second presentation too, although it was good to mingle afterwards. Fiona’s presentation was ok too, better to be aware of such diesses. Wasn’t too interested in the ram v weather study to be honest. I also liked tommy bolands presentation. Was happy enough after listening to Philips presentation as a few years ago when I took over the farm I was very close to reseeding but opted for fixing soul fertility first. Fencing contractor booked so I’ll see where I go from there as regards reseeding. Thought the booklet on the doses for parasites very benifical too. Also thought the text in service was excellent, as I wouldn’t be one for asking a question in a place like that.

I could have happily left after the second presentation too, although it was good to mingle afterwards. Fiona’s presentation was ok too, better to be aware of such diesses. Wasn’t too interested in the ram v weather study to be honest. I also liked tommy bolands presentation. Was happy enough after listening to Philips presentation as a few years ago when I took over the farm I was very close to reseeding but opted for fixing soul fertility first. Fencing contractor booked so I’ll see where I go from there as regards reseeding. Thought the booklet on the doses for parasites very benifical too. Also thought the text in service was excellent, as I wouldn’t be one for asking a question in a place like that.

I 'mingled' in the bar afterwards, probably paying the price abit now
    If you're a few years into development, you and the the farm are probably ready for reseeding. If you are reseeding you should consider sowing Typhon with it, you'd get a grazing within 4 or 5 weeks of sowing the grass and Typhon and it's supposed to be like rocket fuel for lambs from 35kgs on.
    I don't sow it myself but my neighbours put in typhon when they're reseeding.
    Any way talk to someone that's using it before you start.
    Do you think you've improved the grass with your management so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

What are the essentials for lambing other than colostrum, iodine, tail rings, marker spray, stomach tube, bottles and teats?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

DJ98 wrote: »
    What are the essentials for lambing other than colostrum, iodine, tail rings, marker spray, stomach tube, bottles and teats?

Optimism!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Couple cans of lynx... electric kettle in the shed infrared lights ear notchers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

What injections too eg oxytocin,calcium etc, only ones i can think off,need to make a list and get sorted before it starts.

Advertisement