Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Chanatol and antibiotics calciject, glucose,electrolyte solution, also forgot till mention lubricant and shoulder length gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

wrangler wrote: »
    Do you think you've improved the grass with your management so far

Not for the first couple of years but big improvement last year. Hopefully will kick on this year. One initial mistake I made was not spreading enough nitrogen. I was concentrating too much on p and k. Last year I finish majority of lambs without creep with was a first, and all gone by October.
    I mentioned how impressed I was with the question text in last night, and I did use it. I asked about mixed grazing and do you have to compromise on grass covers for cattle If grazing both sheep and cattle together, as ideally the pre grazing covers are higher for cattle.
    Last year was the first year where I focussed on grazing for sheep ahead of cattle, as we don’t typically sell Weanlings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Not for the first couple of years but big improvement last year. Hopefully will kick on this year. One initial mistake I made was not spreading enough nitrogen. I was concentrating too much on p and k. Last year I finish majority of lambs without creep with was a first, and all gone by October.
    I mentioned how impressed I was with the question text in last night, and I did use it. I asked about mixed grazing and do you have to compromise on grass covers for cattle If grazing both sheep and cattle together, as ideally the pre grazing covers are higher for cattle.
    Last year was the first year where I focussed on grazing for sheep ahead of cattle, as we don’t typically sell Weanlings.

Did you graze the sheep and cattle together in the same paddocks, moving them all together to the next one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

You fed no concentrates to lambs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

On my place in North Mayo atm and you have to feel sorry for early lambers being pounded with endless hail and sleet:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I never fed concentrates to lambs when I had the sucklers, I always prioritised the sheep over the cattle, ie if the next paddock was too strong for the ewes I'd put them into a paddock that was at the right stage for them and put the cows into the stronger paddock.....90% of the lambs would be gone by august, whereas now I'm only starting to sell in august.
    Far less challenge from worms as well in the mixed stocking.
    Like you I didn't sell weanlings, but probably should have, or at least as yearlings,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Starting this route myself, what way did you go about fixing the indexes

Did you graze the sheep and cattle together in the same paddocks, moving them all together to the next one?

Last year I let the sheep in a day or so before the cows. Went sheep, yearling cattle then cows mixed with non bred hoggets. After weaning, there was a nice field of after grass coming along that I divided into 3 for the lambs and ran only the lambs in this. Hoggets went with sheep after weaning too

You fed no concentrates to lambs ?

I better clarify as to say that would be wrong. The ewes got meal for a couple of weeks after lambing. I don’t plan on doing this this year, hopefully, as last year the sheep weren’t Housed until lambing, so the farm was skint bare. It’s different this year. Also last year, I left all triplets with the ewes and gave them good grass and I did feed them well with concentrates, they were fit early though. Probably won’t do it again this year as it’s another group and don’t think the cost justifies it. Otherwise there was no concentrates fed to the main flock and they were finished entirely of grass. Overall though we ate only moderately stocked.
    I guess I was wrong in my statement earlier, only when I wrote it down realised there is a lot of ifs and buts
    Edit:after reading my post you quoted and I did say I didn’t feed concentrates to majority of lambs so I stand by that.

wrangler wrote: »
    I never fed concentrates to lambs when I had the sucklers, I always prioritised the sheep over the cattle, ie if the next paddock was too strong for the ewes I'd put them into a paddock that was at the right stage for them and put the cows into the stronger paddock.....90% of the lambs would be gone by august, whereas now I'm only starting to sell in august.
    Far less challenge from worms as well in the mixed stocking.
    Like you I didn't sell weanlings, but probably should have, or at least as yearlings,

Funny you say that, we often sell a few yearling cattle in June for cash reasons and they always sell very well. I think lads pay over the odds to be honest as they have grass, done need to buy to keep numbers up etc. Trying to finish all soon though

• Advertisement

Starting this route myself, what way did you go about fixing the indexes

I soil tested the whole farm. Only 2 fields were a bit low in like so I was very lucky that way. What I done I probably wouldn’t do again. My adviser drew up a fertiliser plan, to use a lot of 10-10-20 and 18-6-12. I bought a lot of 10-10-20 in January and went spreading by end of the month. Weather was good but got a lot of rain after, so dunno was any washed away. Went with compounds all year, and will do again this year and soil test again next November. I also spread lime on the 2 fields that needed it.

Funny you say that, we often sell a few yearling cattle in June for cash reasons and they always sell very well. I think lads pay over the odds to be honest as they have grass, done need to buy to keep numbers up etc. Trying to finish all soon though

There's always a few farmers that'll pay over the odds if they look the part, whereas you won't find too many factories paying too much.
    When i changed to all sheep I sold all the yearlings in the mart......it was an eyeopener....should've been doing that for years, there's nothing in feeding them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Where can you get soils tested and what does it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Ias in Bagnalstown Co carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

How does it work and when's the best time of year to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

DJ98 wrote: »
    How does it work and when's the best time of year to do it?

Do it now.
    • Soil test results are of little value if the soil sample taken
    is not representative of the field or area being sampled.
    • Divide the farm into fields or areas that can be easily
    managed separately when applying fertilizers. As a guide,
    take one sample to represent between two and four
    hectares. If the area is very uniform a sample may be
    taken to represent a larger area. For farms with a Nitrates
    Derogation, the requirement is that the average soil
    sample area is not greater than five hectares.
    • Take separate samples from areas that are different in
    soil type, previous cropping history, slope, drainage or
    persistent poor yields.• Do not sample a field until three to six months after
    the last application of P and K. Where lime has been
    applied allow a time lag of up to two years before
    sampling for soil pH and lime requirements.
    • Sampling depth: ensure that soil is sampled to 10cm.
    Shallower sampling can give inaccurate results,
    particularly for P. Where permanent pasture is ploughed
    for reseeding, re-sample the field as soon as possible
    after ploughing as the soil ploughed up to the surface
    may have a different nutrient status to the soil
    ploughed down.
    • Avoid sampling under extreme soil conditions e.g.
    waterlogged or very dry soils. Sample at the same time of
    the year to aid comparisons of soil sample results.
    • When taking a sample, avoid walking in the lines
    of fertilizer and lime spreading operations on
    the field.
    • Avoid any unusual spots such as old fences, ditches,
    drinking troughs, dung or urine patches or where fertilizer
    /manures or lime have been heaped or spilled in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Found Waterford to be cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Does anyone on here have cormac feed barriers.

Need to buy three for a shed and the companies are all around the one price but cormacs will deliver saving me a lot of hassle.

Any issues with them or are the worth the money (€360 for a 15 foot 4 barrier)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

roosky wrote: »

Need to buy three for a shed and the companies are all around the one price but cormacs will deliver saving me a lot of hassle.

Have them here & no issues. To be honest I think most merchants are selling the same product but a different label

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

roosky wrote: »

Their delivery man likes delivering very early.

We were waiting for a while for ours turned out they had made them and in the space between that and putting them on the truck someone drove into the yard and bought them(they were an odd size).

But I'd have no bother goin back to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

my other option was lockheart eng in sligo great stuff but its and hour and twenty mins away so I just dont have time to get down to him

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

first single ewe of the year aborted. hopefully it won't be an epidemic of it now was planning on vaccinating against it but stupidly thought I could do it when they were in lamb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

You vaccinated them recently? What did you do them with? A lot of eees are naturally vaccinated against toxo so they might be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

does anyone know anywhere in meath or westmeath that stock buffalo steel hay racks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i only want three or four would they deliver these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Willfarman wrote:
    You vaccinated them recently? What did you do them with? A lot of eees are naturally vaccinated against toxo so they might be ok.

We vaccinated against toxo this year and set of twins gone last week. Scanner had said the womb looked "watery" and she might drop them alright.. but still annoying!

mcgiggles wrote: »
    We vaccinated against toxo this year and set of twins gone last week. Scanner had said the womb looked "watery" and she might drop them alright.. but still annoying!

There's half a dozen plus different reasons for abortions in sheep, all you can do vaccinate against the common ones. Toxo wouldn't be the worst one......enzootic is a dirty one and hard to get out of the flock.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

this lamb looked grand but was still six weeks from lambing you'd swear the ewe got a knock or something possibly but I hope to god it's not enzo.

farming93 wrote: »
    this lamb looked grand but was still six weeks from lambing you'd swear the ewe got a knock or something possibly but I hope to god it's not enzo.

Probably was never a viable pregnancy if it looked bad at the scanning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i only want three or four would they deliver these?

As far as I know they are sold out of hay racks

Advertisement