Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Dickie10 wrote: »
    does anyone know anywhere in meath or westmeath that stock buffalo steel hay racks?

Dessie donoghue in oldcastle stocks the steel mesh ones think theyre iae, and gibneys steel make ones too, they all fit the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The closing date for the sheep welfare scheme has been extended to 9th February for existing and new entrants for postal applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Out off interest is everyone resigning again?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 spudeater

Anyone using anything other than lamblac. I think its very expensive especially if the other products are every bit as good and are we really only paying for a name

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

spudeater wrote: »
    Anyone using anything other than lamblac. I think its very expensive especially if the other products are every bit as good and are we really only paying for a name

Shine. Dont use frisky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Shine. Dont use frisky.

friskey is the same as lamlac, comes out of the same factory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

ganmo wrote: »
    friskey is the same as lamlac, comes out of the same factory

Lots of different mixes come out, ganmo. I was working in a plant producing 9 or 10 different lamb mixes, depending on spec and price and over 20 calf mixes. It's just a matter of adding different ingredients and mixing and bagging

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Lamlac mixes easier than frisky and doesn't seem till bloat them as much as frisky.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We've tried everything and have still gone back to lamlac, so I suppose that says it all
    For lamb performance and ease of mixing we can find nothing better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

wrangler wrote: »
    We've tried everything and have still gone back to lamlac, so I suppose that says it all
    For lamb performance and ease of mixing we can find nothing better

Find shine much easier to mix than lamlac especially if it’s cold when feeding older lambs

• Advertisement

You're not the first person that's said that lamlac is harder mixed, we weren't happy with shine here anyway,
    When we were using it the price was starting to increase, is it still a good bit cheaper than lamlac.
    I can't remember now but some of the milk replacers had to be mixed stronger than lamlac and kinda negated the price difference

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

It was the same price in Quinns last year anyway.

Walked into the shed anhour ago to feed the sheep, have the singles divided on they're own now, 3 ewes carrying singles dead, never seen it the likes of it, 2 of them were lying together almost on top of each other and the other one was on her own, all the ewes are on good quality hay, cant think what happened to them, i supose thats sheep for ya

You sure there wasn’t a few bags of meal in the pen?

Walked into the shed anhour ago to feed the sheep, have the singles divided on they're own now, 3 ewes carrying singles dead, never seen it the likes of it, 2 of them were lying together almost on top of each other and the other one was on her own, all the ewes are on good quality hay, cant think what happened to them, i supose thats sheep for ya

You be foolish not to PM them, it's too serious not to.
    Could be three more next week,
    Seeing that you have 1000 sheep housed it's not huge loss,
    but it's a lot of sheep to have at risk too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

As lads said get them to lab first thing in the morning. Keep them somewhere cold to preserve the evidence until then. Either that or any chance they crushed each other. Any dogs in shed barking or as razor said meal bags ?

Yea may get them pm, no meal in the shed only feeding triplets, no not a huge loss but never remember walking in and finding 3 dead before, its normally one, singles have plenty of room, split the twins and singles yesterday just put the through the race and footbathed everything, just very strange wonder was it somethibg to do with moving them yesterday, all on hept p but not due a booster til near the end of feb

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Yea may get them pm, no meal in the shed only feeding triplets, no not a huge loss but never remember walking in and finding 3 dead before, its normally one, singles have plenty of room, split the twins and singles yesterday just put the through the race and footbathed everything, just very strange wonder was it somethibg to do with moving them yesterday, all on hept p but not due a booster til near the end of feb

Keep an eye on then and keep some calcium/antibiotics to hand. Handling is a stress and can precipitate a lot of things.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone any experience with ballymoon sheep solutions in carlow, there products look to be a of good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭kk.man

DJ98 wrote: »
    Anyone any experience with ballymoon sheep solutions in carlow, there products look to be a of good quality
    Bought alot of stuff off them. A1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

1st prolapse there earlier. Shes about 3 weeks from lambing. Checked her number and she was on the cull list for last year for prolapsing. No idea why I didn't cull her, I think I had no room in the trailer and she got lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Red tag in the ear is the only job.

Got the sheep opened up this mornin, the 3 of them had twisted guts

arctictree wrote: »
    1st prolapse there earlier. Shes about 3 weeks from lambing. Checked her number and she was on the cull list for last year for prolapsing. No idea why I didn't cull her, I think I had no room in the trailer and she got lucky!

Try to use a prolapse harness if you can, the 'spoon' or stitching can get infected, the harness is far less invasive when she's going to have it on for a long while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

when do ye give the heptavac p pre lambing....it says 4 to 6 weeks pre lambing.

Issue is my flock will lamb over 5 weeks so how do I cover them all, no idea what dates they lamb as no raddle was used.

Got the sheep opened up this mornin, the 3 of them had twisted guts

Did vet give any indication of what may have caused it. I had one do same mid summer last year

roosky wrote: »
    when do ye give the heptavac p pre lambing....it says 4 to 6 weeks pre lambing.

Issue is my flock will lamb over 5 weeks so how do I cover them all, no idea what dates they lamb as no raddle was used.

I do them 4 weeks before due date and it covers them aright for the lambing, most are lambed in a month anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I do them 4 weeks before due date and it covers them aright for the lambing, most are lambed in a month anyway

Ya its a case of that's the best i can do !

razor8 wrote: »
    Did vet give any indication of what may have caused it. I had one do same mid summer last year

No he didnt say much, looked it up myself though and says uts caused by a number of things, gorging on highly digestive forage and it becomes a mass in the stomach, it ends up blocking the intestine when the sheep are handled a lot, so drafting and footbathing on saturday might have caused it, not much can be done about it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Try to use a prolapse harness if you can, the 'spoon' or stitching can get infected, the harness is far less invasive when she's going to have it on for a long while

Yes, have the harness on her. Using one of the more expensive ones with non abrasive straps as she'll have it on for a while. I never use spoons here. I think if you catch them early enough then it's just a case of putting it back and the harness does the job.

Advertisement