Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

got two ewes aborting lambs in the last three days. how do i know if it is toxo or enzootic? how do i get a sample?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Lambs plus some cleaning to lab. Wear gloves.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

any labs you find good? or should i give to my vet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Dickie10 wrote: »
    any labs you find good? or should i give to my vet?

Ring up vet who will book it in to nearest lab. You just drop it to lab then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

got two ewes aborting lambs in the last three days. how do i know if it is toxo or enzootic? how do i get a sample?

Samples should be brought within 24hrs and make sure you have both foetus and cleanings.
    They should confirm toxo within 48hrs or less in which case there's nothing you can do only take its course.
    It could take weeks to confirm the other causes for abortion, but if there was alot of cases you should consider talking to the vet, before you get the results, about antibiotics to the rest of the ewes, Can be very frustrating watching them abort and then being told three weeks later to give antibiotic when there's alot of harm done already
    antibiotics won't help with toxo but seems to stop enzootic and Campyleobacter in its tracks

• Advertisement

id say it could well b toxo. cats on hay that was being fed to sheep. i may hopefully get away with it though without many aborts. i read there today that when ewes get infected 70-120 days in lamb usually lamb ok because the lambs in the womb are big enough to fight the infection. ironically the ewes become immune. to be i honest i think i will begin to vaccinate all replacements from next summer on. are many vaccinating aggainst toxo/?

id say it could well b toxo. cats on hay that was being fed to sheep. i may hopefully get away with it though without many aborts. i read there today that when ewes get infected 70-120 days in lamb usually lamb ok because the lambs in the womb are big enough to fight the infection. ironically the ewes become immune. to be i honest i think i will begin to vaccinate all replacements from next summer on. are many vaccinating aggainst toxo/?

I always vaccinate the replacements with toxovax and enzovax,
    You get weakly lambs too with abortion which'd break your heart trying to keep them alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Anyone have the going rate (with accom provided) for lamb-watch over 120 ewes over 3/4 weeks, maybe longer? Been offered a month at it and want to know how mental I am to think about doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

It’s usually free for those with no experience of sheep, just as a goodwill gesture to ensure they never want to keep sheep after that month. The farmers being generous not charging you, even giving you a bed, maybe even with him in it. 😉😉

It’s usually free for those with no experience of sheep, just as a goodwill gesture to ensure they never want to keep sheep after that month. The farmers being generous not charging you, even giving you a bed, maybe even with him in it. ����

Ha! He's a she! It was her that mentioned pay and I said I hadn't a clue but we'd figure something out. She knows i have scant experience with sheep but is happy enough that I'll learn quick with the cattle experience behind me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

You'll learn obstetrics with sheep.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    You'll learn obstetrics with sheep.

I'll learn to avoid sheep at all costs I reckon :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just be careful around sheep, some people catch the Ilovethesheepze bug off them. Incurable, so I hear:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I think we are all being a bit negative even if it is tongue in cheek, I went to the Isle of man and wales lambing during college and everyone told me i was mad but I loved it!

How to put a price on it will it will depend on the hours but im sure you will want 100 a day.....if you were doing a good 14/16 hour day for me id be happy to give you €100 and your bed and board.

Be nice to see others opinions, I know its not big money per hour but its nice work and time flies when your at it.

I'd just need a base price to discuss with her tbh! I'm not overly pushed about getting a big pay packet, anything middle of the road is fine for me with board and allowing for me getting experience while I'm at it.
    Perhaps I should just ask whet she paid her last fella!

wrangler wrote: »
    I always vaccinate the replacements with toxovax and enzovax,
    You get weakly lambs too with abortion which'd break your heart trying to keep them alive.

On looking through another Irish forum where a poster claimed that abortion from enzootic confers immunity, I'd say the opposite is true, enzootic will make them abort again, not only that but they will spread it through the whole flock.It is very infectious.
    Even with vaccination in the following couple of years you will have cases, we weren't clear until the third year here,
    Ignoring it, not vaccinating and expecting immunity is very naive after an outbreak

There's a good run down on it here.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

How long would you keep lambs inside that are born this week, have plenty of shed space, seems very cold and land is still very wet

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

DJ98 wrote: »
    How long would you keep lambs inside that are born this week, have plenty of shed space, seems very cold and land is still very wet

I always try keep them in a week at this time of year. Put them in group pens after 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Lost a sheep to listeriosis yesterday. Brought her to knackerey. I have never seen so many deal animals. They were piled up. I'd say the factory doesn't have many more. He said they are off their feet collecting animals.

Anyway another down this morning. Going around in circles. Got medicine from vet. Silage is only middling and was sfraid of this happening

• Advertisement

sea12 wrote: »
    Lost a sheep to listeriosis yesterday. Brought her to knackerey. I have never seen so many deal animals. They were piled up. I'd say the factory doesn't have many more. He said they are off their feet collecting animals.

Anyway another down this morning. Going around in circles. Got medicine from vet. Silage is only middling and was sfraid of this happening

Hard to have silage right for sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

I let them out full time after 48hrs. Sheep getting 0:5 kg if 20% nut and 77dmd silage adlib with a little shelter in field for lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭kk.man

I let them out full time after 48hrs. Sheep getting 0:5 kg if 20% nut and 77dmd silage adlib with a little shelter in field for lambs
    I let them out after 3 days if weather is bad I bring them in at night. They will only pick up infection in the sheds.

This weather will test your system, huge demand on the ewes due to weather and extra demand from the lambs as well. I don't fancy your chances, I was on a farm walk on friday and the 650 ewes were on redstart and then onto grass to be lambed outdoors......the weather would need to change
    Surely feeding silage anywhere outdoors is going to cause a mess

kk.man wrote: »
    I let them out after 3 days if weather is bad I bring them in at night. They will only pick up infection in the sheds.

I'd agree about infection alright, they need lots of straw
    Is it not a problem if they come in wet to the sheds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Came across a ewe today with an aborted lamb. It seemed fairly well developed but was covered in a red sack? She's about 2 or 3 weeks from lambing. Hope it's not the start of something..

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

This weather will test your system, huge demand on the ewes due to weather and extra demand from the lambs as well. I don't fancy your chances, I was on a farm walk on friday and the 650 ewes were on redstart and then onto grass to be lambed outdoors......the weather would need to change
    I was there too, he has a good system, but needs the weather to play ball, this weather is very hard on sheep outdoors, if i had ewes and lambs and space for them indoors they wouldnt be going out in a hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

I only have a few early ones, wouldn’t do it with a lot of them. Sets of twins that are out for the last week are flying along.
    I was there too, April would be time enough any year for that system imo. One thing the struck me was that he admitted to having losses towards the end of lambing because other things took over, outdoor lambing shouldn’t mean such a % of losses if the sheep are selected for it??

I only have a few early ones, wouldn’t do it with a lot of them. Sets of twins that are out for the last week are flying along.
    I was there too, April would be time enough any year for that system imo. One thing the struck me was that he admitted to having losses towards the end of lambing because other things took over, outdoor lambing shouldn’t mean such a % of losses if the sheep are selected for it??

I was discussing that with ciaran lynch, that grass would drive the size of the lambs if they were a month on it, between that and trying to do the spring work it'd be hard not to have losses, I know that the longer lambing goes on here and ewes are on maximum feed, we'd have more big lambs coming head first.
    We wouldn't have more losses because we'd be with them but that man had a lot going on otherwise.
    But the redstart looked an awful mess, but what would you expect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

I was discussing that with ciaran lynch, that grass would drive the size of the lambs if they were a month on it, between that and trying to do the spring work it'd be hard not to have losses, I know that the longer lambing goes on here and ewes are on maximum feed, we'd have more big lambs coming head first.
    We wouldn't have more losses because we'd be with them but that man had a lot going on otherwise.
    But the redstart looked an awful mess, but what would you expect

Same, nearly looked like too much grass for ewes lambing outside! A shed is cheap wintering in this weather, id say fodder crops were expensive feed this year with poor utilisation, sheep couldnt be thriving well outside in that weather

Advertisement