Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The first of our ewes were tipped on 20-Sept, and it was steady away then for the next two weeks before we changed the raddle colour. Some repeated and have second raddle colour but most didn’t. So, fair to say the first of them will lamb around 14-Feb (145 days) - or so I thought.

While a few are starting to get dugs (or whatever polite people call filling out their udders), there’s no way any of them will lamb in the next week.

Had something similar last year with them lambing a week after I thought they’d start.

Are ours the only ewes that have 155 days gestation or do I need a new calculator/calendar?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

The first of our ewes were tipped on 20-Sept, and it was steady away then for the next two weeks before we changed the raddle colour. Some repeated and have second raddle colour but most didn’t. So, fair to say the first of them will lamb around 14-Feb (145 days) - or so I thought.

While a few are starting to get dugs (or whatever polite people call filling out their udders), there’s no way any of them will lamb in the next week.

Had something similar last year with them lambing a week after I thought they’d start.

Are ours the only ewes that have 155 days gestation or do I need a new calculator/calendar?

Last year we hadnt a charollais lamb a week after the first suffolk....different gestations for different rams i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

When we used to be sponging, the average was 147 -148 days, but plenty lambed at 145 too and over 150

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

that farm walk was beside me, i didnt get to it though. anyine have any good info from it? when did he shephard the sheep at lambing, or what was the daily routine?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

My neighbour has built a super sheep shed, with plastic slats.
    Went to take a look today, and I see he has made "panels" out of 2x2 inch mesh, that lie on top of the silage along the feed rail.
    I assume it stops them pulling it in onto the slats.

Is this common? first time I've seen it.

• Advertisement

Last year we hadnt a charollais lamb a week after the first suffolk....different gestations for different rams i suppose

Thanks. Tis Charollais ram we used so maybe just longer gestation

wrangler wrote: »
    When we used to be sponging, the average was 147 -148 days, but plenty lambed at 145 too and over 150

Sound - thanks for that. We didn’t sponge them but might this year. How did you get on with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Nekarsulm wrote:
    My neighbour has built a super sheep shed, with plastic slats. Went to take a look today, and I see he has made "panels" out of 2x2 inch mesh, that lie on top of the silage along the feed rail. I assume it stops them pulling it in onto the slats.

My fella made a few of those this year to stop them pulling the silage into the pens.. they seem to work grand!

Sound - thanks for that. We didn’t sponge them but might this year. How did you get on with it?

Sponging was convenient in that it was busy for a week and then get a week or so off and then the repeats for a week , we only did it for the pedigrees, we'd time them for the week before christmas and then wouldn't be lambing for christmas week.
    Results can be variable, you'll have more twins, triplet, and even quads due to PMS.
    Sometimes the ewes that don't hold to the first service don't come in for 35 days instead of 17......That's more common in AI'ing as it a surgical procedure but does happen in natural service too.
    Results are better in season than out of season, in season they'd lamb as quick using the 'ram effect'

Sponging was convenient in that it was busy for a week and then get a week or so off and then the repeats for a week , we only did it for the pedigrees, we'd time them for the week before christmas and then wouldn't be lambing for christmas week.
    Results can be variable, you'll have more twins, triplet, and even quads due to PMS.
    Sometimes the ewes that don't hold to the first service don't come in for 35 days instead of 17......That's more common in AI'ing as it a surgical procedure but does happen in natural service too.
    Results are better in season than out of season, in season they'd lamb as quick using the 'ram effect'

We'd aim to lamb in mid- to late-Feb so kinda between early and mid-season. Is the ram effect as reliable as sponging for getting them all tipping at the same time?

Thanks again!

• Advertisement

We'd aim to lamb in mid- to late-Feb so kinda between early and mid-season. Is the ram effect as reliable as sponging for getting them all tipping at the same time?

Thanks again!

Having all the ducks in a row and ewes in good condition, we could depend on 90%+ lambing in 17 days including the ram effect. I don't know if it does anything but it costs nothing and they do serious chatting up for the few days they're near the ewes.
    We'd only get about 75 - 80% to first service with the sponging but itwas out of season

Having all the ducks in a row and ewes in good condition, we could depend on 90%+ lambing in 17 days including the ram effect. I don't know if it does anything but it costs nothing and they do serious chatting up for the few days they're near the ewes.
    We'd only get about 75 - 80% to first service with the sponging but itwas out of season

90%+ is serious going. I'd be delighted with that. Did you put an apron on the ram and leave him into the ewes? Or was he in a trailer in the field with them for a few days and then removed?

90%+ is serious going. I'd be delighted with that. Did you put an apron on the ram and leave him into the ewes? Or was he in a trailer in the field with them for a few days and then removed?

just put them in the next paddock is all we do.
    They wouldn't be near rams for at least sixweeks before and then two weeks next door to them......

We used to lamb two bunches of 200 ewes, the starting date 17 days apart so couldn't cope if the first bunch wasn't mostly lambed before the second started.
    likewise the second batch had to lamb before the ewelambs seventeen days later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

+1 for the charrlois being late used texels last year and 1 charrlois on hoggets same thing most off texels were lambed b4 I'd my first charrlois lamb... was 152 days b4 first charrlois arrived from ram went out.

just put them in the next paddock is all we do

Need to get the thinking cap on here so. Our paddocks are either divided by ditch and wire (rams too far away) or electric fence (not enough to keep rams back)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

The first 2 ewes lambed here, both had twins but no milk. Gave them 2cc of Oxytocin, one of them has come into a small bit of milk.

The ewes are outside on Silage and oats.

What if any is the reason for the no show on the milk?

Tks, Mac

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    The first 2 ewes lambed here, both had twins but no milk. Gave them 2cc of Oxytocin, one of them has come into a small bit of milk.

Tks, Mac

Is say they need more protein. A bit of soya bean meal wouldnt go astray

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Is say they need more protein. A bit of soya bean meal wouldnt go astray

Thanks, Charolais, was thinking of mixing some nuts in aswell, the weather is playing havoc with them atm. There just not getting a break!

Thanks, Charolais, was thinking of mixing some nuts in aswell, the weather is playing havoc with them atm. There just not getting a break!

Ya. Had some ewes out and even though they were getting the exact same feed they were thinner

Tks, Mac

Ewes need a lot of protein in the weeks coming up to lambing to have adequate quantity and quality in the biestings, Oats and silage really don't have enough protein. This year is going to test everyones sheep feeding.
    For instance ewes should be getting 200 gms Protein/day coming up to lambing, A kg of oats would only have about 100 gms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭kk.man

Tks, Mac
    Go and buy an expensive 18% proper ewe nut from your nearest mill. All the messing around with feeds makes it cheap to buy a good ration. It's a false economy messing when it comes to ewes and milk.

kk.man wrote: »
    Go and buy an expensive 18% proper ewe nut from your nearest mill. All the messing around with feeds makes it cheap to buy a good ration. It's a false economy messing when it comes to ewes and milk.

Agreed, Mine were on 18%P and being changed on to 20%P from tomorrow with a fortnight to go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

lifeline buckets are a very good source of vitamins and minerals fro ewe colostrum. but i agree ewes should be on a kg/day of 18% nuts for last 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Dickie10 wrote: »
    lifeline buckets are a very good source of vitamins and minerals fro ewe colostrum. but i agree ewes should be on a kg/day of 18% nuts for last 3 weeks
    Would the lambs not get too big
    Should oats be added?

Should oats be added?

No they wouldnt. The good 18% nuts are well balanced for a ewe, its just theyre awful dear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Should oats be added?

No they wouldnt. The good 18% nuts are well balanced for a ewe, its just theyre awful dear
    Had problems years ago with big lambs & calves, was told give oats to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

The extra few euros are worth it. Save a few lambs from watery mouth and the nuisance of tubing lambs with the extra boost in colostrum

razor8 wrote: »
    The extra few euros are worth it. Save a few lambs from watery mouth and the nuisance of tubing lambs with the extra boost in colostrum

Definitely. Colostrum does be like honey

Less is more with cows imo. Plenty of minerals and just enough silage to maintain condition.

Its hard to know with the ewes b maybe you were feeding too much nuts...we used to mix oats soya bean and nuts together one time but ever since we changed to just nuts lambs have been bigger and stronger and more even

• Advertisement

There'd be oats in most rations, no need to add oats.

Do you scan and divide the multiples from the singles,
    IF you don't you'll get big lambs if you feed the singles and triplets the same amount

Advertisement