Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Have a texel here with a bit of prolapse, himself gave in and bought a proper harness, (had a homemade jobby till now) they are a great job! Just wondering are texels more prone to prolapse? They seem to be mentioned more with regards to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Have 3 ewes prolapsed here all triplets. Home made job for two of them. The other put out the bag very closed up, eventually got the three out but all died. Very annoying, bit early but three nice sized lambs just never took a proper breath. The other two seem OK now. Was tempted to remove it from one who has it in two weeks but I'm going to leave well enough alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

I've three ewes that started prolapsing the other day luckily I caught them in time and put the harnesses on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Have 3 ewes prolapsed here all triplets. Home made job for two of them. The other put out the bag very closed up, eventually got the three out but all died. Very annoying, bit early but three nice sized lambs just never took a proper breath. The other two seem OK now. Was tempted to remove it from one who has it in two weeks but I'm going to leave well enough alone.

Dont take the harness off. I did that last week and came down to a dead ewe with half her insides on the shed floor.

arctictree wrote: »
    Dont take the harness off. I did that last week and came down to a dead ewe with half her insides on the shed floor.

It was reading your post that made me certain of leaving it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Does anyone use lambing cameras in there shed. Thinking of getting 4 cheap and cheerful stationary ip cameras. Two for inside the shed for lambing and two for outside security. As well as two stand alone move able ip cameras with 180 movement and zoom. Cost about 150-200 for the cameras and 20 a month for Internet for the shed. I'd set it up myself.

This is the one we use, we have teh reciever in the attic space of the house and the transmitter is transmitting through galvanise.
    Overall distance is 100mtrs
    Running four cameras

http://www.equicom.ie/sony-camera--transmitter-61-p.asp

Cheap and Cheerful

It was reading your post that made me certain of leaving it there.

Prolapses don't usually improve, there's a weakness there and the lambs are getting bigger in her all the time,causing more pressure on the ewe .....harnesses aren't expensive, it's a PITA to be making them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

wrangler wrote: »
    This is the one we use, we have teh reciever in the attic space of the house and the transmitter is transmitting through galvanise.
    Overall distance is 100mtrs
    Running four cameras

http://www.equicom.ie/sony-camera--transmitter-61-p.asp

Cheap and Cheerful

Cant see how theyre useful. In peak lambing youd always have a few lambing etc.

I'd agree, we only had the cameras in one shed that held 60 ewes and when we got under 60 left to lamb we'd put them all into that shed, You'd be tired at the end of lambing and you'd get fed up of walking out to check them and nothing going on, that's when the cameras are useful.
    We've the cameras transferred to the tunnel this year over the whole 80 ewes, so we'll only have to go to the shed when there's something going on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

See broken mouth scotch ewes for sale on donedeal, thet are scanned in lamb for €90 each, would you make money out of these type of sheep or would they just be hassle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

DJ98 wrote: »
    See broken mouth scotch ewes for sale on donedeal, thet are scanned in lamb for €90 each, would you make money out of these type of sheep or would they just be hassle?
    Can be bought €20/€30 cheaper in Marts,money can be made on them if they are well bred ewes producing a good store lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

IH784man wrote: »
    Can be bought €20/€30 cheaper in Marts,money can be made on them if they are well bred ewes producing a good store lamb

Would you know what good xbred ewes, in lamb but not scanned, 2nd and 3rd lambers are makin in the marts?

OH has been asked to do presentation at this tonight,
    be good to meet anyone in the area
    https://www.facebook.com/finbarrkiernanvet/photos/a.779584222154236.1073741829.776670922445566/1541819042597413/?type=3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Can’t make it tonight even though Finbar is my vet. Other half is working so unless I bring 4 wee ones il be staying home

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

There's a big discussion on the 'Farming and Forestry' homepage about the bad weather we're going to get this weekend: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057843354

Just with respect to sheep and new-born lambs in particular, are people making any special arrangements?

We're in the south-east of the country so hopefully we'll escape the worst of it (assuming it does come). The only sheep outside will be ones with week-old lambs and they'll have access to a grove of trees beside the field they're in.

So I'm inclined to see how it goes rather than stockpiling supplies and bringing all animals in again.

As they say in the off-farm job, does that sound reasonable?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

wrangler wrote: »
    OH has been asked to do presentation at this tonight,
    be good to meet anyone in the area
    https://www.facebook.com/finbarrkiernanvet/photos/a.779584222154236.1073741829.776670922445566/1541819042597413/?type=3
    Heading to a KT or would of gone myself
    Finbar is supposed to of had a good cattle one recently too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There's a big discussion on the 'Farming and Forestry' homepage about the bad weather we're going to get this weekend: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057843354

Just with respect to sheep and new-born lambs in particular, are people making any special arrangements?

We're in the south-east of the country so hopefully we'll escape the worst of it (assuming it does come). The only sheep outside will be ones with week-old lambs and they'll have access to a grove of trees beside the field they're in.

So I'm inclined to see how it goes rather than stockpiling supplies and bringing all animals in again.

As they say in the off-farm job, does that sound reasonable?
    My understanding was it's coming from the East so the East coast will be getting the worst of any weather coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

My understanding was it's coming from the East so the East coast will be getting the worst of any weather coming?

For once the lads in Wexford will be envious of the mild weather you lads in Kerry will have in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

To be fair Most of Dublin had snow for a solid month in November December 2010
    We were all drawing milk to the milk lorries at central points here in wicklow
    I suspect that's going to be happening again in the east at first ,next week and in a lot of other places before the week is out
    It is not too late to take whatever measures you need to

Guidance tonight has converged and the word for it is pretty severe
    Watch the tv forecasts closely

To put a start time on this, the first snow showers may be getting into the east by Monday evening,continuing Tuesday to Saturday and becoming more widespread
    By Wenesday Temperatures in a lot of areas will not get above zero in the daytime never mind the night
    This is not like the northwest snow we saw up to a few weeks ago,its very dry snow so every flake will settle in this cold
    It will also have a lower moisture content so will contain a lot more bulk
    Its looking Dire from a farming point of view
    For once the lads in Wexford will be envious of the mild weather you lads in Kerry will have in comparison.
    If George is right, we will be almost tropical in comparison:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

south east is going to get it. met eirrann playing it down, i think we could get a bad doing lads perhaps 1982 all over agin

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    south east is going to get it. met eirrann playing it down, i think we could get a bad doing lads perhaps 1982 all over agin

Fair enough - is it worth bringing in the week-old lambs then? Or will they be OK in the wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ashill5

Had a hoggot ewe lamb this morning, grand healthy lamb, up straight away and sucked but the ewe has the lamb tail nearly eaten off at this stage,

I have sprayed the tail with everything but ewe still at it.

Any suggestions on what would help to stop her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Just put a ring on it and it won't matter..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tom_k

Ashill5 wrote: »
    Had a hoggot ewe lamb this morning, grand healthy lamb, up straight away and sucked but the ewe has the lamb tail nearly eaten off at this stage,

I have sprayed the tail with everything but ewe still at it.

Any suggestions on what would help to stop her

Have you a docking ring on the tail yet? If not stick one on and at least then the tail wont be losing blood and carrying infection to the body (i think).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Fair enough - is it worth bringing in the week-old lambs then? Or will they be OK in the wood?

All depends how bad the snow is. I plan to move the flock I have outside to a sheltered paddock and keep them moving every few hours. The lambs will just have to stay in the shed until it passes over. It will be a big squash but what can you do.

arctictree wrote: »
    All depends how bad the snow is. I plan to move the flock I have outside to a sheltered paddock and keep them moving every few hours. The lambs will just have to stay in the shed until it passes over. It will be a big squash but what can you do.

Sound - thanks for the reply. We’ll see how it goes here. I’m on holidays from the day job at the moment to cover lambing so will be around to move them as need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Its going to be a pita. Least theres some good weather this week to make up for it

Would be useful for us because we aren't there all the time. We try be there at least every 3/4 hours. If I could look at the cameras on the phone for the 2am visit it would also save me a 20min trip or even getting out of bed :-) Even just check before the dinner, something lambing the dinner can wait, nothing happening eat in peace.

Last year there was about a two week gap in lambing when we got down to the last 6/7. 14 20 minute drives at 2am that could of been avoided. Even after the 2 weeks not one of them lambed at night. A few cameras could have saved me 4+ hours of driving, not to mention getting out of a warm bed into a cold car.

I do take your point though that at peak lambing you'd have something to do even if there wasn't a ewe lambing, feed lambs, water to ewes, ring tails etc. Try get ahead of yourself.

razor8 wrote: »
    Can’t make it tonight even though Finbar is my vet. Other half is working so unless I bring 4 wee ones il be staying home

You should've brought them along...very relaxed atmosphere
    Great night in Cavan last night, around ninety at it, great question and answer session, a lot of young farmers at it and of course put a face on a few names here.
    Heard there was huge crowd in Cootehill too for the SOS campaign meeting,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Wrangler , Started mealing ewes today as silage ran out this morning. Not lambing till 1st April onwards. Haven’t separated the singles /twins yet, but how much would you blanket feed them for the next week to start them off ? 4 weeks from lambing I’ll separate and vaccinate. Their on bare paddock getting the smallest pick of grass and will lamb outside. Trying to build up abit of grass before they start lambing.

Advertisement