Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Wrangler , Started mealing ewes today as silage ran out this morning. Not lambing till 1st April onwards. Haven’t separated the singles /twins yet, but how much would you blanket feed them for the next week to start them off ? 4 weeks from lambing I’ll separate and vaccinate. Their on bare paddock getting the smallest pick of grass and will lamb outside. Trying to build up abit of grass before they start lambing.

Start them off with a pound, because this weather coming will knock the doubles with Twin Lamb Disease. If it was me I'd split it in too feeds in case of sickening them. If we get snow and they're eating well increase it because this is hungry weather, extra meal won't do the singles any harm for a week or so at this stage
    Again because of the weather, the doubles would need to be getting a pound twice a day from four weeks out. Again always be increasing gradually and make sure they're eating everything in five mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Wrangler, my ladies are due in about 10 days. I'm giving the doubles 3 pounds over 3 feeds but they're not finishing it. Would it be foolish to cut back to 2 feeds? It's just like they don't have the space for it inside. They're always lying content when I arrive. Drinking plenty and straw ad lib.

Wrangler, my ladies are due in about 10 days. I'm giving the doubles 3 pounds over 3 feeds but they're not finishing it. Would it be foolish to cut back to 2 feeds? It's just like they don't have the space for it inside. They're always lying content when I arrive. Drinking plenty and straw ad lib.

2lbs/day isn't enough, try maybe 2.5lbs/day divided in three feeds, It's better not to sicken them and like you say lambs'll be taking up more and more room.
    If they still can't eat it you may go back to 2lbs, don't sicken them anyway.
    Take away any thing the don't eat in five mins
    We've the triplets and doubles together and they eating 3.1lb/day average

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

wrangler wrote: »
    You should've brought them along...very relaxed atmosphere
    Great night in Cavan last night, around ninety at it, great question and answer session, a lot of young farmers at it and of course put a face on a few names here.
    Heard there was huge crowd in Cootehill too for the SOS campaign meeting,

Like yourself Finbar tells it as it is. Father said he was chatting you. He complimented Yvonne who spoke really well for someone who hadn’t done it before

razor8 wrote: »
    Like yourself Finbar tells it as it is. Father said he was chatting you. He complimented Yvonne who spoke really well for someone who hadn’t done it before

Yea it was a good night, Yvonne was really nervous,she made sure everything was on the power point presentation to prompt her.... really nice crowd of people

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Have 3 ewes prolapsed here all triplets. Home made job for two of them. The other put out the bag very closed up, eventually got the three out but all died. Very annoying, bit early but three nice sized lambs just never took a proper breath. The other two seem OK now. Was tempted to remove it from one who has it in two weeks but I'm going to leave well enough alone.

Once you deal with the prolapse give them a course of antibiotics. Exposure to air liquifies the cervical mucus plug and allows in bacteria to kill or weaken the lambs.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

greysides wrote: »
    Once you deal with the prolapse give them a course of antibiotics. Exposure to air liquifies the cervical mucus plug and allows in bacteria to kill or weaken the lambs.
    On all prolapses? Even a small one? Pen and strep or alamycin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

after a terrible start to lambing with abortions in 3 doubles things have improved well. now have 81 lambs from 32 ewes. think i have 10 triplets lost 1 and lost 1 from a quad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

"the lord giveth and he taketh away" - Dickie 3:65

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

On all prolapses? Even a small one? Pen and strep or alamycin?

Yes. Either. 3 to 5 days.

Early treatment is essential.

IME, prolapses often lead to dead lambs, ringwomb, retained placenta, sick sheep and knackery. In that order unless treatment is at first sign and antibiotics given. A pessary on correction is good too.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

Two viable lambs today, 140 days since ram turnout, 3kgs and 4 kgs but viable...... that's the start

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭kk.man

Two viable lambs today, 140 days since ram turnout, 3kgs and 4 kgs but viable...... that's the start
    When are the due to lamb?

kk.man wrote: »
    When are the due to lamb?

We usually go by 145 -150 days, so next thursday would be 145 from ram turnout

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Alive is the main thing!

Had one lamb at 3kg here so far and he’s doing grand now. His twin was 6kg and still-born.

You’ve much more experience than me-self but I’d have thought 4kg is low-ish but fairly OK at the same time?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Alive is the main thing!

Had one lamb at 3kg here so far and he’s doing grand now. His twin was 6kg and still-born.

You’ve much more experience than me-self but I’d have thought 4kg is low-ish but fairly OK at the same time?
    4kg is grand. A great lamb is 6 kilos.

Alive is the main thing!

I'd agree, 4 is low, I say viable when they can get up and maintain their body temperature, the 3kg is a bit shook but taking 100 mls from a bottle every 2 or three hrs, the bigger one is sucking away.
    But something was wrong when she threw them out at 140 days
    As I say the sh...e comes at the start

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Well 3 dead Ewes and 2 abortions here so far. Nothing alive yet. Due to start today. Things can only improve....

Keep the the chin up guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

First 2 live this morning. Off we go!

arctictree wrote: »
    Well 3 dead Ewes and 2 abortions here so far. Nothing alive yet. Due to start today. Things can only improve....

Started this day last week: 2 dead lambs, 1 ewe no milk, 2 ewes rejected their lambs, 1 ewe with milk fever

Was ready to flog the whole lot (again!)

But no trouble since, apart from a hogget prolapsing.

Is there a scientific or biological reason we get tough cases at the start?

• Advertisement

Started this day last week: 2 dead lambs, 1 ewe no milk, 2 ewes rejected their lambs, 1 ewe with milk fever

Was ready to flog the whole lot (again!)

But no trouble since, apart from a hogget prolapsing.

Is there a scientific or biological reason we get tough cases at the start?
    Id say they lamb kind of earlier becayse they are under a bit if stress with dead lambs or milk fever.
    Had a ewe last wekend with ringwomb got the 2 lambs out eventually alive , put a stitch in her befire she put out her insides. Shes kept forcing and has dried up and one of the lambs died.
    Had 2 cases of mastitis in couples during week and one of them seems to be drying up. Had a single with mastitis yesterday too. All ewes were checked when rams went out.
    ewe threw 2 lambs yesterday evening also.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone could offer me a bit of advice on feeding store lambs.

I bought 20 last oct and had planned to kill them around now but they are not ready to yet. Avg. wt of 43kg. I was told I would need to get them near 50.

I moved them to fresh grass this morn but I want to give them some meal. I never had lambs before so not sure what meal is best to give.

Anyone any recommendations on what to feed and how much per head

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Hi all,

I bought 20 last oct and had planned to kill them around now but they are not ready to yet. Avg. wt of 43kg. I was told I would need to get them near 50.

I moved them to fresh grass this morn but I want to give them some meal. I never had lambs before so not sure what meal is best to give.

Intensive lamb pellet. Start them off gradually. 200 grams up until ad lib i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Intensive lamb pellet. Start them off gradually. 200 grams up until ad lib i suppose

Cheers. How long would you think they will take to reach 50kg? 2 months?

Not a specified weight just until theyre fat enough. Putting on too much fat is uneconomical

Good grass and meal would probably mean daily weight gain of 200g (depending on breed) so work from there as to how soon they’ll be 50kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Our texel with the prolapse threw the 2 lambs the other day. Perfect little lambs just early. Its nearly harder when they come out perfect. She's for the chop for sure. 3rd year lambing, never starts well but seems to improve (most of the time) as we get going. Ours are starting due 13 March. Will be moving back into the home house soon enough for the few weeks. Building there this year can't wait to be back on the land close to everything.

mcgiggles wrote: »
    Our texel with the prolapse threw the 2 lambs the other day. Perfect little lambs just early. Its nearly harder when they come out perfect. She's for the chop for sure. 3rd year lambing, never starts well but seems to improve (most of the time) as we get going. Ours are starting due 13 March. Will be moving back into the home house soon enough for the few weeks. Building there this year can't wait to be back on the land close to everything.

We built a bungalow and moved home last April - couldn’t manage sheep without being so close now. Tis a different life altogether - enjoy!

Had a ewe last wekend with ringwomb got the 2 lambs out eventually alive , put a stitch in her befire she put out her insides. Shes kept forcing and has dried up and one of the lambs died.

Aspirin is a good pain killer in sheep although there's no products available in this country licenced for cattle/sheep.

Dosage rate can be found online.

If you are stitching ewes don't go through the lips, avoid the shiny inner layer as urine can irritate the stitched area and cause straining. Buttons at either side included in the stitch will help spread the pressure. As will a length of rubber tube at either side shared between several stitches.

I use a circumferential subcutaneous cotton tape put in with a special needle. Works well. Of course, the epidural I give first helps with taking away pain and allowing the area to settle down before it wears off.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

Hi all,

You should have left them in the field before changing them to fresh grass. It might be a tad harder for them to get use to meal. Give them a really patable sweat crunch 1st and then switch to the pellets. A bag of it is all I'd buy and at the rate of 200g each to start per day.
    They would take to it faster if they had less grass but with snow otw it's a good week to start!

Advertisement