Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    like me you have a few lambing seasons notched up:D....was prolapse more or less common thirty plus years ago..

Every year i have 1 case..they all get the rd the yr it happens..but another always takes her place...luck i think more than anythin else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tom_k

wrangler wrote: »
    I don't know where the national average of 1.3 lambs/ewe comes from

Tim Keady states in this 2012 presentation that the average weaning rate for lowland mature ewes in Ireland is 1.2 (page 2 under Reproductive performance).

I suppose these figures take into account the multitudes of missed ewes. The figure seems very low to me.
    https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2012/Breeding_from_ewe_lambs_2_flock_performance.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭kk.man

I my first lambs this morning (twins)..they were fairly weak and I got them sucking. One of them never got up. It was about 6am when born.
    I had to go to work (off work from today for 2.5 weeks). Found it hard to leave them fend for themselves. When I came home both were still alive, warm etc.
    But the big fella hadn't got up. I got him to drink no problem. It's a hogget ewe.

How did he survive ? !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

kk.man wrote: »
    I my first lambs this morning (twins)..they were fairly weak and I got them sucking. One of them never got up. It was about 6am when born.
    I had to go to work (off work from today for 2.5 weeks). Found it hard to leave them fend for themselves. When I came home both were still alive, warm etc.
    But the big fella hadn't got up. I got him to drink no problem. It's a hogget ewe.

How did he survive ? !

If he got colostrum he was grand sure?were tjey inside or out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭kk.man

kk.man wrote: »

How did he survive ? !

If he got colostrum he was grand sure?were tjey inside or out
    Inside and I put them in a single pen but it was a good 8 hours while I was away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

tom_k wrote: »
    Tim Keady states in this 2012 presentation that the average weaning rate for lowland mature ewes in Ireland is 1.2 (page 2 under Reproductive performance).

I suppose these figures take into account the multitudes of missed ewes. The figure seems very low to me.
    https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2012/Breeding_from_ewe_lambs_2_flock_performance.pdf

Our numbers this year are scanned at 1.9 and had 1.5 live lambs. Lost a few in the snow but a little disappointed overall.

Hopefully we'll sell no less than 1.4, and will improve next year.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Does people find a variation in gestation over different breeds off rams? Asking as I seem till be getting a lot off lambs from 1 ram and very few yet from the other both turned out same date with roughly the same amount off ewes same field different paddock. Charrlois and texel... mostly texel lambs so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Lambman wrote: »
    Does people find a variation in gestation over different breeds off rams? Asking as I seem till be getting a lot off lambs from 1 ram and very few yet from the other both turned out same date with roughly the same amount off ewes same field different paddock. Charrlois and texel... mostly texel lambs so far.
    I think someone said here recently a t charollais tend to be slightly longer than other breeds

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

DJ98 wrote: »
    I think someone said here recently a t charollais tend to be slightly longer than other breeds

Could be just a dominant texel ram

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Lambman wrote: »
    We have both them rams and sheep were split up into different groups for mating. We had all charlois lambs for the first few days, texel were quite obviously slower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just had a ewe lamb there and it looked like she was prolapsing so I decided to intervene. The vet had to come and took the first lamb dead from her and a live second one. I'm nearly sure the first lamb was live when I was trying. Would ye lads have interfered in this case or would she have lambed herself? The vet said that the first lamb had the head turned back.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Do you have a lambing aid. They’re meant to be handy for head turned. Did u need to interfere with her?? The worst thing you can do is go in too early!! You’re putting undue stress on the ewe and making a simple job hard for yourself. If it was me I would’ve left her a while to see if she is making progress. If not I’d whip the pair of them out to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

arctictree wrote: »
    Just had a ewe lamb there and it looked like she was prolapsing so I decided to intervene. The vet had to come and took the first lamb dead from her and a live second one. I'm nearly sure the first lamb was live when I was trying. Would ye lads have interfered in this case or would she have lambed herself? The vet said that the first lamb had the head turned back.

She wouldn't have lambed on her own, you'd have to intervene.
    The head would have to be straightened, you should be able to lamb those without a vet.
    Had a ewe with a rotten lamb this morning, he was coming with his forehead first and no legs, she wouldn't break down properly either, she was a ewe lamb and the lamb was swollen huge, it was some job to get him out

Was she lambing or prolapsing? If you can get your hand in you should be able to get them out easy enough. A head back shouldn’t need a vet. That’s not an insult btw

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Runswithfeet

Makes me wonder about the wisdom of keeping any from this line in future but maybe it's just a random occurrence.

I Suppose the good news is all the trouble things like prolapse show up before lambing begins. It like getting the bad news out of the way first. Stick a cull tag in her and make sure she ain’t around next year. The others might be fine. If they were prone to prolapse you would have seen it in them by now. Funny I never really find much trouble from their genes. They usually die out early to have much blood left in the flock

Only lambing 40 ewes here this year,changed to dry hoggetts for less workload....kept all young strong ewes,not starting lambing for another week.Had a two year old prolapsed today:(
    She lambert fine as a hoggett last year.Working full time so only feed nuts in evening,she’s carrying twins and they are getting about a pound and a half each once a day.Could the once a day feed have caused the Prolapse?
    Ewes in good shape so may reduce them a bit in nuts feed.

[quote=wrangler;.[/QUOTE]

The head would have to be straightened, you should be able to lamb those without a vet.
    Had a ewe with a rotten lamb this morning, he was coming with his forehead first and no legs, she wouldn't break down properly
    either, she was a ewe lamb and the lamb was swollen huge, it was some job to get him out[/quote]
    I’ve had two ewes with rotten lambs in them this week!! Like u said belly’s enlarged. Limbs falling off the lambs no matter how much lube I used. Didn’t end well what with me vomiting with the smell and both ewes died on me anyway!! Such is life!!

Makes me wonder about the wisdom of keeping any from this line in future but maybe it's just a random occurrence.

I Suppose the good news is all the trouble things like prolapse show up before lambing begins. It like getting the bad news out of the way first. Stick a cull tag in her and make sure she ain’t around next year. The others might be fine. If they were prone to prolapse you would have seen it in them by now. Funny I never really find much trouble from their genes. They usually die out early to have much blood left in the flock

Only lambing 40 ewes here this year,changed to dry hoggetts for less workload....kept all young strong ewes,not starting lambing for another week.Had a two year old prolapsed today:(
    She lambed fine as a hoggett last year.Working full time so only feed nuts in evening,she’s carrying twins and they are getting about a pound and a half each once a day.Could the once a day feed have caused the Prolapse?
    Ewes in good shape so may reduce them a bit in nuts feed.

Singles on about 3/4 pound once a day and twins on pound and a half....might reduce the twins to a pound a day.

[quote=wrangler;.

Had a ewe with a rotten lamb this morning, he was coming with his forehead first and no legs, she wouldn't break down properly
    either, she was a ewe lamb and the lamb was swollen huge, it was some job to get him out[/quote]
    I’ve had two ewes with rotten lambs in them this week!! Like u said belly’s enlarged. Limbs falling off the lambs no matter how much lube I used. Didn’t end well what with me vomiting with the smell and both ewes died on me anyway!! Such is life!![/quote]

Tough work taking out the ones dead a while.....had to do it with a mad ewe last year who was trying her best to get away from me (outdoors)......hard enough doing it at best of times than when the bitch of a ewe is jumping around!

Singles on about 3/4 pound once a day and twins on pound and a half....might reduce the twins to a pound a day.

I presume that's with silage, they'd need to be getting that much meal, maybe more depending on the quality of your silage.They;re due in a week but some might be a long way off. wouldn't be great to cut the meal if they have 3 or 4 weeks to go
    Any how if that was the problem there would be more of your sheep prolapsing.
    stick a harness on her and forget about her.

either, she was a ewe lamb and the lamb was swollen huge, it was some job to get him out
    I’ve had two ewes with rotten lambs in them this week!! Like u said belly’s enlarged. Limbs falling off the lambs no matter how much lube I used. Didn’t end well what with me vomiting with the smell and both ewes died on me anyway!! Such is life!![/QUOTE]

Yea, and the smell stays on you for a good while too whatever it is about it,
    years ago I spent a couple of hours pulling a rotten calf, vet set it up to pull the head only which I thought was strange, but he said we'd only pull the legs off and you wouldn't break the neck, often done it since even with rotten lambs.
    I'd get the smell every time I'd shower for days after.
    The ewe from this morning is up and eating, so some try to live

• Advertisement

I presume that's with silage, they'd need to be getting that much meal, maybe more depending on the quality of your silage.They;re due in a week but some might be a long way off. wouldn't be great to cut the meal if they have 3 or 4 weeks to go
    Any how if that was the problem there would be more of your sheep prolapsing.
    stick a harness on her and forget about her.
    They are outside on fresh picking.

I’d be upping the meal not reducing it his close. It will be the sorriest mistake you’ll make believe me. I did it myself. Twins want 2 lbs and singles a pound no matter how much grass they have. A lot of lads myself included have been deceived by the condition of ewes close to lambing.

I’d be upping the meal not reducing it his close. It will be the sorriest mistake you’ll make believe me. I did it myself. Twins want 2 lbs and singles a pound no matter how much grass they have. A lot of lads myself included have been deceived by the condition of ewes close to lambing.

Gave .6 kg/day to couples last 2 weeks but reduced it to .5kg for later ones as lambs were coming too big.

Fair enough. You must’ve very good silage.

Fair enough. You must’ve very good silage.

Unless you have 100kg ewes, I don't think they're able to eat enough silage when they have two lambs taking up room in them. Like you I'd rather be increasing, my opinion is you can't overfeed a double and we use Texel here.
    If you're in the habit of buying Hard lambing suffolk rams it might be different.
    Then there's the question are they getting enough protein, there's only 90gms of protein in .5kg ration and they require 200gms/day.
    As I've said before you need to get your ducks in a row for lambing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just put all my lambs in because of the weather forecast. It's now mayhem in the shed but better than being outside I suppose. I don't know how they all find their mothers in the squeeze but I suppose they just get on with it. Also found a lamb left outside that was half comatose and managed to revive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Yea, and the smell stays on you for a good while too whatever it is about it,
    years ago I spent a couple of hours pulling a rotten calf, vet set it up to pull the head only which I thought was strange, but he said we'd only pull the legs off and you wouldn't break the neck, often done it since even with rotten lambs.
    I'd get the smell every time I'd shower for days after.
    The ewe from this morning is up and eating, so some try to live

If they are rotten enough even the head pulls off even on a calf. Horrible job but very rewarding if it saves the cow/ewe

Posts and quotes all mixed up it seems, it's not important anyway, how does that happen
    Just ignore my previous two or three posts

Unless you have 100kg ewes, I don't think they're able to eat enough silage when they have two lambs taking up room in them. Like you I'd rather be increasing, my opinion is you can't overfeed a double and we use Texel here.
    If you're in the habit of buying Hard lambing suffolk rams it might be different.
    Then there's the question are they getting enough protein, there's only 90gms of protein in .5kg ration and they require 200gms/day.
    As I've said before you need to get your ducks in a row for lambing

Protein in silage too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Posts and quotes all mixed up it seems, it's not important anyway, how does that happen
    Just ignore my previous two or three posts

How does the head pull off? If a calf is rotten enough and the legs have come off/been removed with wire to make chest narrower and only left to pull with head. Not a nice one.

Advertisement