Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lovely fine lamb this morning, feckin dead in the water trough. Just my luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

About half that have lambed so far have one side gone to mastitis. Never seen so many cases here before. we're still lambing small numbers (less than 40 lambing this year). Vet said to give a shot of long acting antibiotic and if there's nothing coming out at all to tube them.. Anyone else still suffering with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

mcgiggles wrote: »
    About half that have lambed so far have one side gone to mastitis. Never seen so many cases here before. we're still lambing small numbers (less than 40 lambing this year). Vet said to give a shot of long acting antibiotic and if there's nothing coming out at all to tube them.. Anyone else still suffering with it?

Was the shed powerwashed and disinfected, before hand.
    We find that Sorgene 5 is a great disinfectant for farm use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Definitely an underlying problem that would cause that. Have no answers but the vet should take a sample of the mastitis and get it diagnosed

Had a ram here took an abscess in his jaw and were afraid it was CLA but it came back as trueperella pyogenes which is just a common bacteria that can be treated with antibiotics

wrangler wrote:
    Was the shed powerwashed and disinfected, before hand. We find that Sorgene 5 is a great disinfectant for farm use.

Yeah it was completely cleaned out and disinfected. And they aren't on straw, so no obvious answers for it..
    razor8 wrote:
    Definitely an underlying problem that would cause that. Have no answers but the vet should take a sample of the mastitis and get it diagnosed

Yeah at this stage its ridiculous will tell him to get vet again. Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Yeah it was completely cleaned out and disinfected. And they aren't on straw, so no obvious answers for it..

Yeah at this stage its ridiculous will tell him to get vet again. Thanks guys

What bedding are they if not on straw? Are they on Slats?

eorna wrote:
    What bedding are they if not on straw? Are they on Slats?

Yep slats, and disinfected every week or so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Yep slats, and disinfected every week or so..

I'd say that could be your problem. If they are lying down its very easy for dirt to get into the teat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Slats are also draughty, that coupled with the cold weather over the past 2 weeks would not help.
    Could you get the vet to test a sample of milk from a couple of them ewes to identify what strain of mastitis it is ? That may give more info on the likely cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Vet said he challenged him about putting the cow down and they wouldn't let him out of the shed and got a bit aggressive towards him for questioning them. So now he does as they say. He must be a mad bastard.

Any man who would willingly take the loss of a cow when the vet would be advising not putting her down would have to be mad.

Whatever about the value of a ewe the value of a cow is into the hundreds.

Most farmers spend a lot of money trying to keep them alive and putting down is a last resort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭kk.man

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Vet said he challenged him about putting the cow down and they wouldn't let him out of the shed and got a bit aggressive towards him for questioning them. So now he does as they say. He must be a mad bastard.

Any man who would willingly take the loss of a cow when the vet would be advising not putting her down would have to be mad.

Whatever about the value of a ewe the value of a cow is into the hundreds.

Most farmers spend a lot of money trying to keep them alive and putting down is a last resort.
    Speaking to the Vet today about this topic. I was asking from an ethical point.
    He didn't think ethics had a part in it...I thought was strange even if more than 50% chance of survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

We had to put one ewe down last year with very bad mastitis. Most her belly was purple and she couldn't get up. Tried the usual first but no improvement, it's cases like that I'd only ever put the animal down.

On a different note, have a triplet being rejected here. Have three singles left to lamb but they aren't coming soon. How old is too old to try and adopt it onto a single? He's 5 days at the moment but will be closer to 2 weeks by the time these ewes lamb I'd say.

I've a rake of pet lambs here and lots of one year old ewes about to lamb. Any point in fostering a pet lamb onto one of these or am I just looking for trouble?

arctictree wrote: »
    I've a rake of pet lambs here and lots of one year old ewes about to lamb. Any point in fostering a pet lamb onto one of these or am I just looking for trouble?
    If you keep an eye for the quite one or some might loose a lamb.
    It's no harm having a strong lamb for young lively ewes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anybody any idea what lamb creep is costing for a half tonne this year?

Would oats, grass and silage be enough to keep ewes with month old lambs going or would they need nuts?

DJ98 wrote: »
    Would oats, grass and silage be enough to keep ewes with month old lambs going or would they need nuts?

Currently giving them nuts

Lads, I have a lamb born yesterday that just stands for hours staring at the wall. I gave him some colostrum last night but he's looking very thin now. His twin is doing fine. Any ideas?

Currently giving them nuts
    What happens when they go out on grass and no mag protection or soya for milk?

kk.man wrote: »
    What happens when they go out on grass and no mag protection?

They also have mineral buckets, are currently at grass but getting nuts

• Advertisement

Lads, I have a lamb born yesterday that just stands for hours staring at the wall. I gave him some colostrum last night but he's looking very thin now. His twin is doing fine. Any ideas?

Might ave been starved of oxygen during lambing, anyway if he's not sucking he'll need feeding, 50 -100ml every three hours.
    Lambs can be stupid when they're born and come right after, we had one yesterday morning would't suck, he sucked a bottle this morning but we had to tube him all day yesterday

wrangler wrote: »

Might ave been starved of oxygen during lambing, anyway if he's not sucking he'll need feeding, 50 -100ml every three hours.
    Lambs can be stupid when they're born and come right after, we had one yesterday morning would't suck, he sucked a bottle this morning but we had to tube him all day yesterday
    Wrangler I had a ewe with three lambs yesterday. 1st not fully developed, 2nd v weak now and 3rd no isuue.
    Q. The one very weak excreted brackish treacle like stuff bout 6 hours after being born. What is the cause of this given it didn't get enough to excrete?

Thanks. This one is probably worth putting the effort in. He's a fine twin and his mother has lots of milk and is just waiting for him to suck.

Wrangler I had a ewe with three lambs yesterday. 1st not fully developed, 2nd v weak now and 3rd no isuue.
    Q. The one very weak excreted brackish treacle like stuff bout 6 hours after being born. What is the cause of this given it didn't get enough to excrete?

That's called meconium, every lamb passes that shortly after being born. it's just waste stuff from their time in the uterus, They pass it very quick when they get colostrum

That's called meconium, every lamb passes that shortly after being born. it's just waste stuff from their time in the uterus, They pass it very quick when they get colostrum
    I know that bit but this smelt terrible and scour like. In any event it died this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Any of ye use the black bucket with the six teats for feeding bob lambs? I have six going good enough but the amount of milk that comes out the teat is tiny. It’s not dirty or clogged either as I put in a brand new teat and suction washer thing. Tempted to put a bigger hole in them tomorrow

Any of ye use the black bucket with the six teats for feeding bob lambs? I have six going good enough but the amount of milk that comes out the teat is tiny. It’s not dirty or clogged either as I put in a brand new teat and suction washer thing. Tempted to put a bigger hole in them tomorrow

You need to put bigger holes in them. I had the same problem a couple of years ago and my lambs nearly died as they couldn't suck enough milk out. I used a scissors and cut a cross at the end of each teat. 6 lambs would then empty 3 litres in a few minutes with the big holes but make sure some aren't getting too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

You need to put bigger holes in them. I had the same problem a couple of years ago and my lambs nearly died as they couldn't suck enough milk out. I used a scissors and cut a cross at the end of each teat. 6 lambs would then empty 3 litres in a few minutes with the big holes but make sure some aren't getting too much.
    Sound job. Wonder why they don’t make them bigger. Lambs are sucking like crazy now, probably using more Energy trying to get milk that what they are taking in from the milk!

I know that bit but this smelt terrible and scour like. In any event it died this evening.

Well meconium is brackish treacle like.....as i keep saying pointless to be diagnosing from here.

• Advertisement

Been tubing this lamb now for 2 days and he's still the same. His twin is flying and the mother is dying to be let out. A lost cause?

Advertisement