Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

is he making any attempt to suck?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭arctictree

ganmo wrote: »
    is he making any attempt to suck?

He'll suck my finger a bit but makes no attempt at the ewe. If I don't feed him for a while he just seems to get thinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have a lamb (20-25kg), took lame on hind foot on Wednesday, Friday & yesterday appears to be more spine (just above hips), today he has no balance & swinging head like meningitis
    Is it meningitis & what would of caused it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

arctictree wrote: »
    He'll suck my finger a bit but makes no attempt at the ewe. If I don't feed him for a while he just seems to get thinner.

If he sucks your finger why don't you give him a bottle, there's no need to tube him if he sucks, he's obviously not getting anything from the ewe.
    If as you say he won't suck the ewe, of course he is going to get thinner and die of the hunger if you don't feed him....i can't see what the problem is.
    Why do you not want to feed him

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Any word on what the weather has in store next weekend?!
    Fabulous day today, hard to believe all the ****e talk about "beast form the east 3"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Any word on what the weather has in store next weekend?!
    Fabulous day today, hard to believe all the ****e talk about "beast form the east 3"!

Lower temperatures ,some rain tomorrow and tuesday

wrangler wrote: »
    If he sucks your finger why don't you give him a bottle, there's no need to tube him if he sucks, he's obviously not getting anything from the ewe.
    If as you say he won't suck the ewe, of course he is going to get thinner and die of the hunger if you don't feed him....i can't see what the problem is.
    Why do you not want to feed him

He seems to be happy enough with the bottle. Why would a lamb suck a bottle and not the ewe he is penned with?

Does anyone know the cost of cormac 20ft race, cormac 8ft hurdles and 5ft hurdles.
    A neighbour wants to buy some of my equipment

Does anyone know the cost of cormac 20ft race, cormac 8ft hurdles and 5ft hurdles.

Would you not ring them?
    5ft hurdles are 30/35euro

Would you not ring them?
    5ft hurdles are 30/35euro

probably will, just handy here if someone had the prices

• Advertisement

Bought 8ft hurdles from FRS 2 years ago for €40 each. Good solid ones, think they could be Gibney

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Cormac sheep race is €1,175 new, used to less then €900 about 3 years ago. They also put the prices of their hurdles up €5 recently. They also quoted €40 for a 5ft hurdle or €45 for 6 ft. Make up your own mind on if there’s better value out there.

Cormac sheep race is €1,175 new, used to less then €900 about 3 years ago. They also put the prices of their hurdles up €5 recently. They also quoted €40 for a 5ft hurdle or €45 for 6 ft. Make up your own mind on if there’s better value out there.
    Have around 50 5ft cormac lambing pens here and a lot of the gates had to be rewelded as the bottom bars broke on them, pure ****e, gibneys are far better value

Have around 50 5ft cormac lambing pens here and a lot of the gates had to be rewelded as the bottom bars broke on them, pure ****e, gibneys are far better value

Have to agree. Exact same thing happened here. I rang after most of my gates cracked at the welds and asked them if they ever heard that complaint before, claimed they never heard that. I’ve more gates to buy now, but won’t be buying cormac.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

i have a two week old lamb with meningitis, holding head back not able to stand, whats the best treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

i have a two week old lamb with meningitis, holding head back not able to stand, whats the best treatment?

Wouldn’t be to hopeful but if you have alamycin to hand give him that. Vet should give you something specific for it like nuflor or something powerful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Would farmers prefer mule ewe lambs with or without tails? Bought aged horned ewes this year till breed my own replacements from and so far it's looking like I'll have way more ewe lambs than I'll need... have been doing all the ewe lambs from the doubles that I'll be keeping anyway so it's not a problem till do them all oldest lambs are 4 days so will need till make decision soon... the aul fella put the idea in my head that a man buying them till run on hilly ground would prefer the tails on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Lambman wrote: »
    Would farmers prefer mule ewe lambs with or without tails? Bought aged horned ewes this year till breed my own replacements from and so far it's looking like I'll have way more ewe lambs than I'll need... have been doing all the ewe lambs from the doubles that I'll be keeping anyway so it's not a problem till do them all oldest lambs are 4 days so will need till make decision soon... the aul fella put the idea in my head that a man buying them till run on hilly ground would prefer the tails on them?

Lowland man more likely to buy the mule. So i would be takin the tail of them. Mule on heather for too long wouldn't do imo.

Lads, have a week old pet lamb with a redish runny discharge coming out its rear end. Any idea what this is? He seems healthy enough and is sucking away.

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Lowland man more likely to buy the mule. So i would be takin the tail of them. Mule on heather for too long wouldn't do imo.

Definitely tail gone

• Advertisement

Any sheep events around the country this year where all the manufacturers will be displaying the handling equipment, Gates etc ? Other then the ploughing ? Athenry doing anything this year ?

Any sheep events around the country this year where all the manufacturers will be displaying the handling equipment, Gates etc ? Other then the ploughing ? Athenry doing anything this year ?

Sheep show and trade fair in Cillin hill Kilkenny 9th june

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

had a hogget last night that was banging her haead against the pen gate, she had a lamb on sunday night. she was dead as a doornail this morning. blood ran out of her nose later. anyone any ideas? i was thinking maybe a brain hemmorrage or a form of CJD

Last ewe lambed, Thought she was going to drag it out to the last day, (9th april)
    Measured grass today, if I give them a kg of cubes/day they have enough grass for 10 days so well in the clear now, grass should be growing faster now.
    Using Corby rock cubes, not much soya in them so need the grass for protein, but lambs are flying

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Runswithfeet

Lambing ewes outside this year,intend on using tail rings on the lambs...am spraying ‘Stockholm Tar’ on the baby lambs tails to keep the fox away.
    Don’t always have tail rings with me....is it ok to put tail rings on where the Stockholm spray was put on the tail do people think?....is it preferable to get tail rings onto lambs before they are a week of age?

Thanks for any advice.

Wasn’t stocktar one of the earliest healing antiseptic ‘s before everything else was invented .

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Yeah if anything has an open wound I’d always stick a bit of Stockholm tar on it especially in summer. I find it keeps the flies away and helps it heal. 11 ewes left to lamb then on to the ewe lambs. Grass very tight here for the first time in years I’m feeding ewes meal at grass. Not happy about it but lambs are doing really well.

[quote="stantheman1979;106574741. Grass very tight here for the first time in years I’m feeding ewes meal at grass. Not happy about it but lambs are doing really well.[/quote]

Grass tight here as well. It looks like if we were just able to get a few days of mild weather together it would explode into life. Great growth today, but hear it’s forecast to get cold again, very frustrating. Thing Nothing lambed yet. Due to kick of Sunday.

Keeping grass in front of ewes in dront of the ewes atm. Saving grace is half the stocking rate is cows so we wouldnt be half as bad as sheep only

• Advertisement

Half way through lambing here after a week and a half, mqnagi g ok with grass at the minute but will be in serious pressure by nxt week with the numbers lambing very quick

Advertisement