Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Any sheep events around the country this year where all the manufacturers will be displaying the handling equipment, Gates etc ? Other then the ploughing ? Athenry doing anything this year ?

Big sheep event in athenry this year on the 7th july

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Lambing slow till take off here despite a large number off ewes covered in the first week and raddle changed after 9 days there was that many covered... hopefully pick up soon tonight's the busiest so far... noticing a lot off rams being born especially twins with 20 sets off twins on the ground 16 is 2rams and the other 4 one off each.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lambman wrote: »
    Lambing slow till take off here despite a large number off ewes covered in the first week and raddle changed after 9 days there was that many covered... hopefully pick up soon tonight's the busiest so far... noticing a lot off rams being born especially twins with 20 sets off twins on the ground 16 is 2rams and the other 4 one off each.

Well I have about 60 ram lambs and 30 ewe lambs. Not sure why. I've nearly run out of blue management tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Lambman wrote: »

Not lambing that many here,had 3 scanned for triplets.First two sets of triplets born in last few days......6 ram lambs!....you would get fair odds on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Don't mind the ram lambs here as there all for the factory hope the old horneys keep throwing ewe lambs for replacements all the same.

• Advertisement

arctictree wrote: »
    Well I have about 60 ram lambs and 30 ewe lambs. Not sure why. I've nearly run out of blue management tags.

Very same here I mark rams and ewe lamb differently and so far I have 125 rams out of 163 lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Have a ewe not lambed yet with hard bag. treated with antibiotics and got swelling under control. She has several lumps left behind. What’s the chance she’ll milk now ? Cannt remember any issues with her last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Lambing outside in fields near yard...was tempted to get settled and watch MOTD but on last check in daylight I thought one ewe looked a bit on edge.
    Out on the quad for a quick check and same lady had water bag out...got her caught and took two nice lambs from her...both coming backwards ....so glad I missed half of MOTD:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Lambing outside in fields near yard...was tempted to get settled and watch MOTD but on last check in daylight I thought one ewe looked a bit on edge.
    Out on the quad for a quick check and same lady had water bag out...got her caught and took two nice lambs from her...both coming backwards ....so glad I missed half of MOTD:)

You have to live with them at lambing....then you have no regrets

Happy sheep.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

wrangler wrote: »
    You have to live with them at lambing....then you have no regrets

Happy sheep.jpg

That ewe squeezing out a fart?

Well jealous of that grass.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

MeTheMan wrote: »
    That ewe squeezing out a fart?

Well jealous of that grass.!

First round grazing, it's definitely not coming back after grazing off:.
    Have about a week more like that and then.......:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭kk.man

I've a lot of triplets here...in fact very few singles.
    What's the best advice (leave them on the ewes or sell them as pets) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

kk.man wrote: »
    I've a lot of triplets here...in fact very few singles.
    What's the best advice (leave them on the ewes or sell them as pets) ?

Sell as pets of you can at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

wrangler wrote: »
    First round grazing, it's definitely not coming back after grazing off:.
    Have about a week more like that and then.......:eek:
    Never measured grass cover. Must try some day. What do ya do when your field isn't 100% grass and there is some nice rushy patches? What the calculation to find out the days. Doing the green cert but haven't got as far as grass land management yet.

We were looking good here about 3 weeks ago but could really do with some growth now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

What is the genetic make up of a Suffolk mule ewe? Is it a Suffolk ram on a mule ewe or Suffolk ram on a mountain ewe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

It’s a mule ewe bred from a horned ewe and BFL ram and then a Suffolk ram crosssed on that mule

I have 95% of the ewes lambed in two weeks with 7% losses since scanning so im happy with that!

What im not happy with is the number of ewes i have with 1 tit !

I tag everything that gives trouble at lambing so nothing would have been kept since last year and I check the bags of ewes at weaning and again pre mating so nothing went to the ram that was dodge.

The ewe lambs with a big bag of milk but the teat wont work, some have a thread or a pea in them others have a hard udder.

I would have approx 8% of my ewes gone to grass with 1 lamb because of it.

What is it, whats causing it and what can I do to prevent it happening, also its a young flock as ewes are sold that are old.

roosky wrote: »
    I have 95% of the ewes lambed in two weeks with 7% losses since scanning so im happy with that!

What im not happy with is the number of ewes i have with 1 tit !

I tag everything that gives trouble at lambing so nothing would have been kept since last year and I check the bags of ewes at weaning and again pre mating so nothing went to the ram that was dodge.

The ewe lambs with a big bag of milk but the teat wont work, some have a thread or a pea in them others have a hard udder.

I would have approx 8% of my ewes gone to grass with 1 lamb because of it.

What is it, whats causing it and what can I do to prevent it happening, also its a young flock as ewes are sold that are old.

What breed?.

What breed?.

Texels, crossbred but mostly texel.

IS it mastitis between mating and lambing that healed up or is it some other condition, I even had it in first time lambers last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

IS it mastitis between mating and lambing that healed up or is it some other condition, I even had it in first time lambers last year!

Are they on straw or slats

• Advertisement

If its that thread in the teat, its very hard to feel it when checking for mastitis. They probably got it at weaning. Texels are more prone to mastitis too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Texels are more prone to mastitis too

Really?

sea12 wrote: »
    Are they on straw or slats

Straw but only in for 3 weeks pre lambing and straw is kept topped up

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

Really?

yes ,and if you knew how many texel ewes with mastitis are flushed each year it doesn't take a genius to work out why.most texel breeders are not just paying no heed to maternal traits they are actually breeding faults into their sheep with no sense of responsability whatsoever:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

The few sheep farmers left here in the macamores in Wexford are sheep sick at the minute. Pure bloody drudgery.

Went in to buy sheep nuts in limerick this morning. They put up price €15 a tonne over the weekend. I asked why and they said supply and demand. Said they cannt keep it made. Teagasc from athenry were there. Had to travel down this distance to get nuts as none to be bought in Galway. Left me with a right bad taste in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Went in to buy sheep nuts in limerick this morning. They put up price €15 a tonne over the weekend. I asked why and they said supply and demand. Said they cannt keep it made. Teagasc from athenry were there. Had to travel down this distance to get nuts as none to be bought in Galway. Left me with a right bad taste in my mouth.
    No problems with nuts in my part of Galway and I’m not far from Athenry.

No problems with nuts in my part of Galway and I’m not far from Athenry.

All I can tell you is they travelled down and that’s what the teagasc man told me when I chatted to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

All I can tell you is they travelled down and that’s what the teagasc man told me when I chatted to him.

I bought ewe and lamb ration in Galway aswell today . In fairness I'd say mills must be up the walls now
    Do we import grain for feed stuffs usually or are we self sufficient ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Bullocks wrote: »
    I bought ewe and lamb ration in Galway aswell today . In fairness I'd say mills must be up the walls now
    Do we import grain for feed stuffs usually or are we self sufficient ?

Kerry buy roughly half their feed requirements from local cereal growers. Don't know about the rest.

Advertisement