Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ard_MC wrote: »
    I cant see there ever being just sheep ireland sales in the country. Thats only run for promotion of the stars really. Flock books arent really worth much if the data in them turns out to be wrong..its main purpose is parentage recording.

I came across this on Twitter. It's an article on managing triplet bearing ewes and how housing them had knock on benefits for the rest of the ewes.

https://beeflambnz.com/news-views/benefits-indoor-lambing-system-far-reaching

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

I came across this on Twitter. It's an article on managing triplet bearing ewes and how housing them had knock on benefits for the rest of the ewes.

https://beeflambnz.com/news-views/benefits-indoor-lambing-system-far-reaching

The science and research behind it all is working but my fear is Irelands flock sizes are too small to benefit really from it. Like average flock size off 110 ewes aint going to be ground breakin profit difference in a 1star v 5 star at present. And ill admit i dont have any rams with stars at present as its all mountain rams this yr on the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The science and research behind it all is working but my fear is Irelands flock sizes are too small to benefit really from it. Like average flock size off 110 ewes aint going to be ground breakin profit difference in a 1star v 5 star at present. And ill admit i dont have any rams with stars at present as its all mountain rams this yr on the farm.

Its nothing to do with stars.

I like the way they do farmer led research in nz taking ideas from farmers and scrutinizing them. Here its the reverse, the researchers present their work to farmers and we scrutinize it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

It’s worse than that the average flock size is 107 sheep including replacements and rams etc, the average flock of breeding ewes is 77 !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

ganmo wrote: »
    Its nothing to do with stars.

I like the way they do farmer led research in nz taking ideas from farmers and scrutinizing them. Here its the reverse, the researchers present their work to farmers and we scrutinize it

like knowledge transfer?
    but surely you couldn't be showing up the planers with that kind of attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Anyone going to Scotsheep 2018 at the end of the month...seems to be a good few Irish going
    Only half an hour from the ferry

https://www.nationalsheep.org.uk/nsa-scotland/scotsheep/host-farm/

International visitors get in free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Serious looking outfit there wouldn't mind run over...

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

wrangler wrote: »
    Anyone going to Scotsheep 2018 at the end of the month...seems to be a good few Irish going

Not sure will i go here or to the highland show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

The way I feel about sheep today that's about as appealing as a trip to a morgue. Jesus a a week in the sun a hape of beer good food entertainment and the only ****in bastardised sheep I see on be fried on a plate is what's needed

Not sure will i go here or to the highland show.

I'm looking forward to it anyway, a very scenic part of scotland

• Advertisement

Willfarman wrote: »
    The way I feel about sheep today that's about as appealing as a trip to a morgue. Jesus a a week in the sun a hape of beer good food entertainment and the only ****in bastardised sheep I see on be fried on a plate is what's needed

I intend to do both this year, because as you can imagine there'll be no good food eaten and definitely no beer drank in Scotland by the Irish...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Willfarman wrote: »

so i take it you've had a lovely relaxing day then courtesy of your wooly mates

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

ganmo wrote: »
    so i take it you've had a lovely relaxing day then courtesy of your wooly mates

Had a few days like that. Was moving sheep friday evening and there was a shewp a small bit down. Was in a rush to a match so gave her injection following morming from vet and was dead by dinner. A ewe lamb sick with mastitis followed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Had a few days like that. Was moving sheep friday evening and there was a shewp a small bit down. Was in a rush to a match so gave her injection following morming from vet and was dead by dinner. A ewe lamb sick with mastitis followed.

Went out here yesterday and found one floating in a drain - she must have tried to cross it and realised too late it was deeper than it looked, or just jumped in for a swim. Jebus wept :confused:

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Just seen my rams star ratings are gone till **** although bought as 5* rams... they were registered with the society and sheep Ireland when I bought them but I don't know how till do the paperwork or were till get the paperwork for sending the lambs born till each ram and days till killing and killout % etc.... I take it this is why there losing stars so how do I sort it TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Yeah, there’s a fair few of us from round here going, couple of coach loads anyway. Tis only next door, except for the water in the middle. Looks like a good set up, but I imagine the rest will be standard NSA trade stands the same the world over?

Lambman wrote: »
    Just seen my rams star ratings are gone till **** although bought as 5* rams... they were registered with the society and sheep Ireland when I bought them but I don't know how till do the paperwork or were till get the paperwork for sending the lambs born till each ram and days till killing and killout % etc.... I take it this is why there losing stars so how do I sort it TIA

Are you a pedigree breeder,in the CPT or a better farmer. If you're not you won't be sending in figures. Figures are taken from how your rams relations are doing on these farms.
    Basing your ram purchases on stars is a road to nowhere now, I saw a ram coming in from England with very poor figures in england and awarded 5 stars here and great figures on rams coming from france and they awarded two stars here.
    You couldn't make it up.

Looking for coselcure bolus does anyone know where I could find who stocks them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

roosky wrote: »
    Looking for coselcure bolus does anyone know where I could find who stocks them?

Hello Roosky,

Do you find the Cosecure ones good? Have you used them before?

I was looking at the Agrimin 24/7 bolus. (Cant add in URL as it wont let me) Has anyone used these?

I have used the AllSure ones in the past - but I wouldn't mind trying another product.

Thanks.

D

No wrangler not in any off those so that explains it... i bought 8 ram lambs off a local breeder who only keeps a handful off purebreds so them 8 were the only rams he registered last year as he killed the rest off the ram lambs.... Maybe my figures dropped because off this fact?

• Advertisement

No wrangler not in any off those so that explains it... i bought 8 ram lambs off a local breeder who only keeps a handful off purebreds so them 8 were the only rams he registered last year as he killed the rest off the ram lambs.... Maybe my figures dropped because off this fact?

The only thing that would downgrade your rams is if Sheep Ireland are getting poor performance results from recorded sheep that are related to your rams.
    How did you get your rams star ratings for this year, I thought only pedigree breeders could source those figures now

Electronic tagging compulsory from 1st Oct on all sheep......That's all we need

Hello Roosky,

Do you find the Cosecure ones good? Have you used them before?

I was looking at the Agrimin 24/7 bolus. (Cant add in URL as it wont let me) Has anyone used these?

I have used the AllSure ones in the past - but I wouldn't mind trying another product.

Thanks.

D

Was at a discussion group meeting last night and a few lads in the group sware by them and found other boluses to be no good.

Its the coselcure bolus and not the cosecure bolus they are recomending

They are lambs I bought last year roosky.... Yea I gathered that but they wouldn't have any records off any ram lambs from that whole flock for last year as I bought them all so must be that flocks ewe lambs that there basing it On? I know on the pedigree certs all the lambs were doubles and 2 were triplets so if they had a ewe sibling then maybe that's what there going off? That and the lambs that were killed if They were a sibling? They didn't all change so maybe there the ones that only had ram siblings?

Electronic tagging compulsory from 1st Oct on all sheep......That's all we need

That's been flagged for a while now.

They are lambs I bought last year roosky.... Yea I gathered that but they wouldn't have any records off any ram lambs from that whole flock for last year as I bought them all so must be that flocks ewe lambs that there basing it On? I know on the pedigree certs all the lambs were doubles and 2 were triplets so if they had a ewe sibling then maybe that's what there going off? That and the lambs that were killed if They were a sibling? They didn't all change so maybe there the ones that only had ram siblings?

Even the performance of the siblings of your rams sires and grandsires will affect the stars of your rams,
    We had it here in our pedigree flock, we used two 5 star rams here for five years and when we had everything bred by them, sheep Ireland decided they were only 2 star and downgraded our whole flock.
    They haven't a clue, most sheep farmers wouldn't contribute to them if they had a choice.....you'll breed better sheep if you buy your rams by eye.
    We used to give a couple of rams for performance recording and invariably they'd come back as rated hard lambing, Sheep Ireland would take them for October so they'd miss mating the adult sheep, so ironically these ''hard laming'' rams would be put with our ewe lambs here and there wouldn't be a bother.....you couldn't make it up

Ah ok I'm with you now... I'm only bothered about them now as I'll be selling some this year and I thought it might be something farmers would look for but as you say it's only the purebred men that'll be into the stars and none a these boys will be good enough for a stock ram for a breeder.

Ah ok I'm with you now... I'm only bothered about them now as I'll be selling some this year and I thought it might be something farmers would look for but as you say it's only the purebred men that'll be into the stars and none a these boys will be good enough for a stock ram for a breeder.

If you're selling them and their stars have dropped, plead ignorance or show them last years star rating...... ''well they were 5 star when I bought them, :D''

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

That's been flagged for a while now.

Apart for “playing their part”, “pulling on the green jersey”, and other meaningless rubbish, will farmers gain anything from EID?

From what I gather, it’s useful for lads with large numbers and helps with general management. But for others who manage well enough without them, will there be any benefits from having it forced on us?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

Apart for “playing their part”, “pulling on the green jersey”, and other meaningless rubbish, will farmers gain anything from EID?

From what I gather, it’s useful for lads with large numbers and helps with general management. But for others who manage well enough without them, will there be any benefits from having it forced on us?

Nope, not a thing. Just added cost for farmers and easy money for others.

But it's the next step for compulsory e tagging for all farm animals.

Advertisement