Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads, have a couple of lambs here that got joint ill about a month ago in one leg only. So I couldn't catch them in the field to inject them. I have them in now and have been giving them an injection for 5 days with no improvement. Am I wasting my time and they are permanently damaged?

I wouldn't be holding my breath....

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

roosky wrote: »
    Same issue here, they got 7 days of noroclav and after three days they were back to square 1, might put two of them down, horrible to see them in pain

Try a different injection. May get a shot of long acting anti-inflammatory to give with the first one. If that fails, back to plan A.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Lads that keep both cattle and sheep, do you have separate handling facilities or does the cattle crush work as a sheep race also?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

DJ98 wrote: »
    Lads that keep both cattle and sheep, do you have separate handling facilities or does the cattle crush work as a sheep race also?

Have a sheep race. Know of lads that put in bits of pallets into cattle race to make it narrower

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

have a mobile race/penning unit for sheep which we use all the time, even on the home farm

there's a fellow on twitter, (maybe he's a member here ) that has mesh panels that hook on to the cattle crush when using for sheep, very neat and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Is there any point in doing lambs with scabivax If lambs in the field already have orf?
    How long does it take for the sores to heal?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Is there any point in doing lambs with scabivax If lambs in the field already have orf?
    How long does it take for the sores to heal?

The firm that makes scabivax claim that it's good to use in the face of an outbreak, I never did it here though.
    In a clean field lambs will put it over them in a couple of weeks but if they're short of grass and have to graze into thistles and briars where the burst their
    sores it wil last a long time.
    We'd usually get them in maybe twice a week while it's going on and treat the burst ones with antibiotic spray but our fields are clean and we'd maybe only have to treat 5% of them.
    We're scabivaxing at a day old for the last three years because the outbreaks got so severe every year, It effects their thrive for weeks though, like any virus they must be in bad form before and after too

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Ewe sick here. Walking like she had mastitis. Put her in and no sign of anything wrong. She lies out in the field kinda going over on her side with her back legs out. Then up again. Not eating. Going to try some calci-jet and see what it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Ewe sick here. Walking like she had mastitis. Put her in and no sign of anything wrong. She lies out in the field kinda going over on her side with her back legs out. Then up again. Not eating. Going to try some calci-jet and see what it does.
    Hope she comes around.....was dosing ewes and hoggetts today,about half an hour after doing one batch was walking them out to fresh field....one of hoggetts seemed to be finding it hard to breathe and lay down and started to froth a bit from the mouth...left her where she was to give her time to recover a bit....went back an hour later and she was dead....maybe dose went down wrong way for her.Was a nice Suffolk x hoggett too....never the bad ones that die.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Had them in dosing as well. She was off the day before. Went down hill yesterday. Tried a shot of calcium and magnesium went to check her 2 hours later and she was dead. She was a older ewe. Around 7/8 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Willfarman wrote: »
    When you think they are cured keep injecting for another week.

My lad with joint ill is worse than ever running on 3 legs but isnt thin or pining, would it be worth going with another 7 days of noroclav or do you go longer or what do ye think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

roosky wrote: »
    When you think they are cured keep injecting for another week.

My lad with joint ill is worse than ever running on 3 legs but isnt thin or pining, would it be worth going with another 7 days of noroclav or do you go longer or what do ye think
    I go two weeks. when you can't catch him count another 10 days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

When's the best time to weigh mature ewes?

We've various breeds and crosses in the flock and I want to try get a sense of how big (or small) the ewes are.

Would it be just before they go to the ram?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

In NZ it’s after lambing and before tipping

razor8 wrote: »
    In NZ it’s after lambing and before tipping

Thanks. Will probably just go with before tipping here.

Might try work out "efficiency" then when the lambs are weaned next year. I think that's what Teagasc are proposing: same as sucklers system, compare weight of calf at weaning to cow weight.

Anyone else on here try this measurement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Thanks. Will probably just go with before tipping here.

Might try work out "efficiency" then when the lambs are weaned next year. I think that's what Teagasc are proposing: same as sucklers system, compare weight of calf at weaning to cow weight.

Anyone else on here try this measurement?

have to buy a new scales, one i bought under TAMS wont fit ewes or rams. got it off cormacs, something to watch out for if anyone buying

razor8 wrote: »
    have to buy a new scales, one i bought under TAMS wont fit ewes or rams. got it off cormacs, something to watch out for if anyone buying

Better check the one at home so!

Don't want to be squashing them into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭arctictree

I go two weeks. when you can't catch him count another 10 days.

Well I'm on day 10 with this one and it's just starting to take effect. Although he had it for a good few weeks before i caught him. I'll go another 5 and see where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Have a ewe that lambs yesterday evening. Hadn't cleaned by this morning. Should I intervene?

Have a ewe that lambs yesterday evening. Hadn't cleaned by this morning. Should I intervene?

I never do anyway, you can cause a bleed if you pull it manually....they usually lose it in a few days.
    Sometimes they can be sick after and we give an antibiotic if they have a raised temperature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

wrangler wrote: »

I never do anyway, you can cause a bleed if you pull it manually....they usually lose it in a few days.
    Sometimes they can be sick after and we give an antibiotic if they have a raised temperature.
    Thanks Wrangler, myself and the father had differing opinions on it. Well leave her be for now.

Paid the vet bill today, ceasasrean at 4am cost €85 plus €12 for penicillen
    Can't complain about that

Agree. The vets bills are not too high around here either. Good service and plenty advice whenever I go into the office for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Couldn't argue with him on that , do you have to bring the ewe to the vet or do they call out

Bullocks wrote: »
    Couldn't argue with him on that , do you have to bring the ewe to the vet or do they call out

Call out, I gave them the choice so she might have been close.....they were very busy that night.
    No cleaning up for them when they do it on farm I suppose,

Would you not have let her go till the morning?

Was looking after our groups lambs in the factory today, Best batch made €149.90 minus €3 exps, great prices

Was looking after our groups lambs in the factory today, Best batch made €149.90 minus €3 exps, great prices

Well deserved too..

Well deserved too..

As an uncle here says, “Sure you’d want that for them. And more if you could get it.”

Hopefully prices will be slow to fall for the rest of the year now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I’m Hoping for strong prices through out the season. A lot of farms both here and the uk (where factories ship a lot of numbers in from) Have got hammered with high weather related losses this spring. They’ll have to be scarce in the ground as the year continues.

Advertisement