Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Id say prices will remain firm until mid summer and there will be the usual drop, a lot of lambs will start coming fit from late june on, february lambs that are usually gone by then got knocked back a few weeks so will be coming in with the later lambs
    hopefully store prices are strong again this year as lads got on well with them last year, good store lamb trade always seems to keep the factories on their toes

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

Killing away at dry hoggets here that we would normally keep, 40 of them yesterday came in to 124 a piece, all they got was grass and hay during the snow

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Got a few hoggets here started to lamb and alot of them have a cough. Any ideas what it might be or what to give them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭kk.man

joe35 wrote: »
    Got a few hoggets here started to lamb and alot of them have a cough. Any ideas what it might be or what to give them
    Give them a fluke and worm dose in a week after lambing.
    Repeat if persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

joe35 wrote: »

Could be lung worm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Yea was thinking that. They'ŕe getting a bit dirty now too. Suppose i'll just have to leave dosing them till after the lamb. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Do ye let your sheep stand long before or after dosing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Do many off you guys regularly weigh the lambs? I'm sure purebred men do? Just asking as my lambs not doing as good as they should be according till my eye anyway... none were wormed dosed yet as none are dirty so in turn they didn't get cobalt dose which I usually give at same time... taking them in today till cobalt dose them would it be a waste till worm dose them when I have them in for cobalt dose? Think myself it's not gonna do them no harm but question is will it do them any Good?

We dosed all ours there. Cobalt and worm to ewes and lambs. Not sure if it's needed for the lambs yet but can't see any harm. Lambs are pretty much all over 5 weeks bar about 6 lambs. Don't see much point dosing all the ewes and not the lambs if the lambs could be carrying them.

We don't usually weigh until weaning. We divide them up based on weight then. Something like over 30 and under 30 depending on how they weigh. Have thought about weighing a few times before weaning but I'm not entirely sure what I'd do with the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

MeTheMan wrote: »
    We dosed all ours there. Cobalt and worm to ewes and lambs. Not sure if it's needed for the lambs yet but can't see any harm. Lambs are pretty much all over 5 weeks bar about 6 lambs. Don't see much point dosing all the ewes and not the lambs if the lambs could be carrying them.

We don't usually weigh until weaning. We divide them up based on weight then. Something like over 30 and under 30 depending on how they weigh. Have thought about weighing a few times before weaning but I'm not entirely sure what I'd do with the information.

We weigh at 6 weeks to pick the ewes that haven't enough milk

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    We weigh at 6 weeks to pick the ewes that haven't enough milk

Do you separate them and feed to ewes more, or creep the lambs? Will them ewes be culled?

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Do you separate them and feed to ewes more, or creep the lambs? Will them ewes be culled?

We make no change, it's just to identify them for culling.
    If the lambs are still here in September we'll give them meal.
    If ewes are grazing good grass between 4 and 8 cms there's nothing to be gained out of giving them meal, also ewes are drying up from six weeks on.

Well that's them dosed and heptavaced now anyway... hopefully the dose will do some good... Yea I know there's not much point in weighing them regular unless your gonna separate them and creep them... or as wrangler says till identify the poor milking ewes. When you say ewes are drying up at 6 weeks I take it your a man that will wean the lambs early wrangler?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

anybody dose lambs yet for Nemotadirous? heard it can set lambs back a lot so want to make sure and get them in time. at the same time i want to make sure that nemotadirus is present before i dose cause want to kill it. is this week right time for dose these these lambs are about 7-9 weeks old about 25 kg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Dickie10 wrote: »
    anybody dose lambs yet for Nemotadirous? heard it can set lambs back a lot so want to make sure and get them in time. at the same time i want to make sure that nemotadirus is present before i dose cause want to kill it. is this week right time for dose these these lambs are about 7-9 weeks old about 25 kg

Thread here on it and good advice from wrangler: https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057866278?fuid=0

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Take a look at the Nematodirus forecast thread I posted recently.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Lambman wrote: »
    Well that's them dosed and heptavaced now anyway... hopefully the dose will do some good... Yea I know there's not much point in weighing them regular unless your gonna separate them and creep them... or as wrangler says till identify the poor milking ewes. When you say ewes are drying up at 6 weeks I take it your a man that will wean the lambs early wrangler?

No, we wean at 10 -12 weeks, at that stage we're better off giving the lambs the best of the paddocks and letting ewes clean off what's left.

On nematodirus, we dosed three weeks ago and we tested yesterday and they need to be done again.....the dose only kills whats there on the day, even cydectin only kills what's there on the day, whereas on ordinary worms cydectin has a residual effect of a few weeks.
    That's the reason I recommend a cheap dose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

grand thanks

Just thinking since I dosed the ewes pre lambing with cydectin triclamax which is supposed till pass on the wormer through the milk till the lambs maybe that's why I've none dirty yet... anyway done them today as well with zerofen... Yea I'd be same as yourself wrangler 12 weeks roughly or as soon as the silage ground comes back till a nice cover for the lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Just thinking since I dosed the ewes pre lambing with cydectin triclamax which is supposed till pass on the wormer through the milk till the lambs maybe that's why I've none dirty yet... anyway done them today as well with zerofen... Yea I'd be same as yourself wrangler 12 weeks roughly or as soon as the silage ground comes back till a nice cover for the lambs.

Was it Zerofen 2.5 or Zerofen 10 that you used?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anybody dose lambs with products like grovite lamb, lamb thrive or sheep boost?

If so which product do you use and do you notice a difference in the lambs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

DJ98 wrote: »

Gave them cobalt about 3 weeks ago with worm. Ears were going flakey so was needed

Pays till look at the ingredients in alot off that stuff... paying for a fancy bottle and label most off the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

DJ98 wrote: »

about 10 time more expensive than it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Do many off you guys regularly weigh the lambs? I'm sure purebred men do? Just asking as my lambs not doing as good as they should be according till my eye anyway... none were wormed dosed yet as none are dirty so in turn they didn't get cobalt dose which I usually give at same time... taking them in today till cobalt dose them would it be a waste till worm dose them when I have them in for cobalt dose? Think myself it's not gonna do them no harm but question is will it do them any Good?

Dirty areses are not a accurate measure of worm burden. and with cococidia and nematadirus at this stage of the year you dont want waiting for dirty arses or high fec counts as the damage to the gut will be done.....If i were you i would be going with a white drench for nematadirus now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads, I've 2 Rams in an acre field that's starting to get away on me. Would it be OK to throw in a few Hoggets with them? Any chance of them going in lamb?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads, I've 2 Rams in an acre field that's starting to get away on me. Would it be OK to throw in a few Hoggets with them? Any chance of them going in lamb?!
    Slim chance. Be ok for at least a month

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

arctictree wrote: »
    In May!!!!!!! Hard enough to get them in lamb in the autumn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

What daily live weight gain are lads achieving with lambs?

Advertisement