Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

About 320/340 grams DLG I think. I’ve a few February born lambs fit to kill now 12-14 weeks old but they’re getting creep. Going to wait another week or two until I’ve a decent size batch to bring though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

About 320/340 grams DLG I think. I’ve a few February born lambs fit to kill now 12-14 weeks old but they’re getting creep. Going to wait another week or two until I’ve a decent size batch to bring though

What weight are they and what breed(s)?

Some are 35/40 kgs. They’re mainly charollais and Hampshire a few polly dorsets

• Registered Users Posts: 9 spudeater

Hi All
    anyone apply for fencing in TAMS. If sohow long does it take to get go ahead to start work. I've had mine in since before the lambing and have not heard anything back yet
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭arctictree

spudeater wrote: »
    Hi All
    anyone apply for fencing in TAMS. If sohow long does it take to get go ahead to start work. I've had mine in since before the lambing and have not heard anything back yet
    Thanks

They took a year to get back to me and I already had the fence built!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

arctictree wrote: »
    spudeater wrote: »
    Hi All
    Thanks

Thinking of applying here soon for work that’ll be done in 2019.

Is there any issue if you apply for say 500m and then do 400m, still going over the 2,000 Euro minimum spend? I mean, do you have to do everything that’s included on the application?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭arctictree

Thinking of applying here soon for work that’ll be done in 2019.

Is there any issue if you apply for say 500m and then do 400m, still going over the 2,000 Euro minimum spend? I mean, do you have to do everything that’s included on the application?

I'm not sure. My application was more speculative really. The existing fence was in bits and I just had to get on with it. You could always ask them and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 spudeater

looking like i'll be doing something similar here

I'm not sure. My application was more speculative really. The existing fence was in bits and I just had to get on with it. You could always ask them and see what they say.

Thanks. I'll give them a shout. I'd be guessing you'd be OK once you go over the 2,000 Euro spend but who knows what logic is behind such schemes.

Tis some reflection on the Dept when there's essentially free money and people don't bother with it coz it's too much hassle and takes too long. Obviously there has to be checks and this can't happen overnight, but shouldn't take *that* long either!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Anyone going to the IGA Sheep Conference, Host farmer, John Large reads well on the Indo, I'm looking forward to seeing hs place anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

wrangler wrote: »
    Anyone going to the IGA Sheep Conference, Host farmer, John Large reads well on the Indo, I'm looking forward to seeing hs place anyway.

When is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

sea12 wrote: »
    When is it ?
    The Irish Grassland Association (IGA) will host its annual sheep conference in the Horse and Jockey Hotel, Thurles, Co. Tipperary, on May 22.

This year’s conference – sponsored by MSD Animal Health and Mullinahone Co-op – will focus on making the most of the available resources on sheep farms, while an afternoon visit to well-known sheep farmer, John Large, will conclude the event.

The Conference
    A host of industry speakers will take to the stage as part of the conference.

Kevin McDermott and Eamon Wall – both of Sheep Ireland – will discuss the main milestones that have been achieved over the past 10 years of the Sheep Ireland programme. They’ll also reveal what the future may hold for sheep breeding in Ireland.

In addition, Mathew Blyth – flock manager of Didling Farms, West Sussex – will give an overview of the system, which carries 1,000 ewes and incorporates a combination of grassland, plantain, chicory and red clover leys.

Mathew has adopted the mantra that ‘you can manage what you can measure’. Through embracing technology, particularly the use of EID (electronic identification), he’s sought to improve efficiency in the flock
    Farm Visit
    The event will conclude with a visit to John Large’s farm, which is home to a flock of 630 mature ewes, 160 ewe lambs and a suckler enterprise of 35 autumn-calving cows.

Farming 80ha, John has always adopted a progressive approach to new initiatives helping drive the sheep industry forward. He’s one of the Central Progeny Test (CPT) flocks working with Sheep Ireland and was one of the original participants in the programme since it began in 2010.

The sheep system makes up the main part of the farming enterprise, with all progeny – excluding replacements – taken to finish under a high-output system.
    A challenge posed by having such large numbers lambing at one time is the need for sufficient amounts of grass at turnout. John has focused efforts to ensure sufficient ground is rested from October on to have reserves built up for spring.

Increasing the amount of divisions on the farm and investments in fencing infrastructure have aided in this process. Achieving high levels of performance from grass is key for this flock; with the high-stocking rate, good levels of performance are needed to meet drafting targets.

Pre-Booking Essential
    This year’s IGA sheep conference and farm walk will take place on May 22 at the Horse and Jockey Hotel, Thurles, Co. Tipperary, from 9:30am to 5:00pm.

Pre-booking is essential as places are limited. For further information and to book your place, visit the Irish Grassland Association website

Interesting that more fencing and paddocks are mentioned for John Large’s farm walk.

We tried to use electric fencing here (netting and white tape) to make divisions but it hasn’t worked.

It looks like investing in proper wire fencing @ 250 Euro per 100m will be the difference between Go or No-Go for sheep here.

Can I please ask if others on here would call proper sheep wire and paddocks a prerequisite? Are we only wasting our time (lots of it!) without it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

Interesting that more fencing and paddocks are mentioned for John Large’s farm walk.

We tried to use electric fencing here (netting and white tape) to make divisions but it hasn’t worked.

It looks like investing in proper wire fencing @ 250 Euro per 100m will be the difference between Go or No-Go for sheep here.

Can I please ask if others on here would call proper sheep wire and paddocks a prerequisite? Are we only wasting our time (lots of it!) without it?

If want to use electric fencing for sheep needs to be part of proper sheep fencing approach, not boundary etc. also earths & reels are essential to get it working right & tight for sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

3 strands polywire dividing paddocks here. Working the finest so far.

It depends on your stocking rate as to whether paddock grazing is economical.
    There is no doubt that lambs thrive best if grass is kept between 4 and 8 cms, it;s not easy to do that if you are set stocking.
    You won't do all the fencing over night, priorities should be boundaries and after that make every field stock proof.
    Trying to stockproof and paddock 50 acres for fifty ewes definitely won't pay, but stockproofing and paddocking 12 acres for those 50 ewes and renting out the rest would be worthwhile. Then gradually take back and stock and develop the rest.
    If you are parttime farmer and have a salary, sheep are not hard to get into and finance with quick return if you really want to do it.......depends on your priorities, I suppose

3 strands polywire dividing paddocks here. Working the finest so far.

Anyone that was at last years IGA Sheep conference saw the three strands working 100%, a bit iffy with baby lambs but after a couple weeks lambs won't cross it anyway, I've a neighbour fencing typhon with 3 strands and it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

If 3 strand(poly or normal wire) isn’t keeping them in they’re not being moved enough.

ganmo wrote: »
    If 3 strand(poly or normal wire) isn’t keeping them in they’re not being moved enough.

Made that mistake before too but not that this time. One field’s division is grand but they’re used to going thru the white tape in a bigger field now. Probably not the most sturdy to begin with so I just took it down earlier rather than getting frustrated trying to keep it up.

We’re kinda at a crossroads at the moment. Stock, handling facilities, and housing is fairly good and we know the type of animals that suit the system. But fencing and soil need investment now. Without that we’ll continue to struggle, but spending a few thousand Euro on wire and reseeding is a big step for small part-timers who have no single farm payments and no sign of new GLAS or equivalent scheme for another 2-3 years.

Thanks a million as ever for the replies (and listening ears!)

Gonna give it some thought and chat with family over the next few days

Going to do some fencing here in the coming weeks, no grant involved, just wondering if anybody would be able to give me an approximate price for what I'm going to do, cost of labour isn't necessary but if I could get some prices for the following it would be much appreciated : 400m of high tensile sheep wire, 2 gate posts, 3 strainer posts and 80 heavyweight 5ft steaks. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

DJ98 wrote: »
    Going to do some fencing here in the coming weeks, no grant involved, just wondering if anybody would be able to give me an approximate price for what I'm going to do, cost of labour isn't necessary but if I could get some prices for the following it would be much appreciated : 400m of high tensile sheep wire, 2 gate posts, 3 strainer posts and 80 heavyweight 5ft steaks. Thanks for your help.

Pricing it here too so have a rough idea:

100m wire - 120-130 Euro
    Gate posts - 8-10 Euro
    Strainers - 6-8 Euro
    Stakes - 4-5 Euro

All approx figures quoted in and around south-east: Farm Relief Services, Glanbia, and another private farm supplies place.

It adds up fairly fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Pricing it here too so have a rough idea:

100m wire - 120-130 Euro
    Gate posts - 8-10 Euro
    Strainers - 6-8 Euro
    Stakes - 4-5 Euro

All approx figures quoted in and around south-east: Farm Relief Services, Glanbia, and another private farm supplies place.

It adds up fairly fast!

I got 400m of high tensile wire and 100 Clipex eco posts to divide up a field here in the spring, was straight runs so the eco posts are fine was €1100 iirc and I would definitely buy from them again very easy to put up and could be taken down again easily if you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

I got 400m of high tensile wire and 100 Clipex eco posts to divide up a field here in the spring, was straight runs so the eco posts are fine was €1100 iirc and I would definitely buy from them again very easy to put up and could be taken down again easily if you wanted.

Where did you source those. How many clips do the eco posts have. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

foxirl wrote: »
    Where did you source those. How many clips do the eco posts have. Thanks

I rang the ad on done deal, think they're based in Clare, delivery was here the next day. They have 11 clips in them I think, sheep wire and two rows above. If you are going that route I would get wire and all from them as it will line up 100% I put a few posts into existing wire and the clips didn't line up just perfect, but still worked well.

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Tinsley-Mild-Steel-Coil-Wire/9019033

Can anyone tell me what the difference is in the size of this wire(look at the options) , and why the smaller option is the dearest? Not really suitable for this thread but didn't want to start a new one just for this

DJ98 wrote: »
    https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Tinsley-Mild-Steel-Coil-Wire/9019033

Can anyone tell me what the difference is in the size of this wire(look at the options) , and why the smaller option is the dearest? Not really suitable for this thread but didn't want to start a new one just for this
    Because that stuff is mild steel!! Dirt!! Not worth bringing home. You could strain this stuff all day and it would be loose in 6 months. Get the good high tensile wire and do the job right the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

If it's electrified the tightness makes little difference.. I hate the high tensile stuff with a vengeance.

Because that stuff is mild steel!! Dirt!! Not worth bringing home. You could strain this stuff all day and it would be loose in 6 months. Get the good high tensile wire and do the job right the first time.

Might I add it will be only used to bring a shock around the farm so fields can be divided into two for sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

I also hate the high tensile stuff the barb wire is hard till pull because the barbs are only wrapped over the wire not through the 2 strands like the mild steel Sony end up pulling the barbs if it slips.... it's also harder till join the mesh as the wire isn't as flexible.

• Advertisement

Willfarman wrote: »
    If it's electrified the tightness makes little difference.. I hate the high tensile stuff with a vengeance.
    Its harder to work with but will last longer and stay tight. If you give yourself a bit extra when tying off I find it ok.

Advertisement