Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

IH784man wrote: »
    Seem to only be sucking from one side,can milk her but it's sore on her,and me.What will I do with her as I dont want to be milking her every evening,will put her in a bare field with no meal for a while?

Take the two lambs away for a while...make sure their hungry and then out one of them sucking that side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Take the two lambs away for a while...make sure their hungry and then out one of them sucking that side

Yeah - you need to get them sucking that side. They're old enough to manage it now, is just a matter of getting them used to it...

I think you'll just have to stick with it for a while am afraid... those ewes always take time, but if she's a good ewe twould be pity for her to get mastitis. Wen you say sore, do you mean just from you at her? She doesn't have mastitis already does she?

You'd have to question whether she's worth keeping for next year tho...

Best o luck...

Edit : bare field with no meal will just give you poor hungry lambs. You need to get the lambs sucking that side :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Yeah - you need to get them sucking that side. They're old enough to manage it now, is just a matter of getting them used to it...

I think you'll just have to stick with it for a while am afraid... those ewes always take time, but if she's a good ewe twould be pity for her to get mastitis. Wen you say sore, do you mean just from you at her? She doesn't have mastitis already does she?

You'd have to question whether she's worth keeping for next year tho...

Best o luck...

Edit : bare field with no meal will just give you poor hungry lambs. You need to get the lambs sucking that side :(
    Okay I'll get her sorted tommorow,I'll take her into the shed and put lambs in another pen away from her.Shes a great ewe and a good team no point neglecting them because of laziness.Yes she doesn't like it when I milk her and when I milked today she has blood on her,couldn't see was it the teat cause I was holding her at the same time.
    As regards to keeping her,depending how this goes she could just as easy be sold next week,there's plenty other ewes and lambs that won't cause as much hassle in the marts
    Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

I think everything is genetic :)

I'm not sure it's age, have seen hoggets have em...

definitly highly hereditary,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

IH784man wrote: »
    Okay I'll get her sorted tommorow,I'll take her into the shed and put lambs in another pen away from her.Shes a great ewe and a good team no point neglecting them because of laziness.Yes she doesn't like it when I milk her and when I milked today she has blood on her,couldn't see was it the teat cause I was holding her at the same time.
    As regards to keeping her,depending how this goes she could just as easy be sold next week,there's plenty other ewes and lambs that won't cause as much hassle in the marts
    Thanks everyone

Blood?

Did you draw milk from that side before? Was the pap blocked maybe, and you burst it? Happened to me last year...

• Advertisement

Blood?

Did you draw milk from that side before? Was the pap blocked maybe, and you burst it? Happened to me last year...

Wasn't blood in the milk,must have been a cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

razor8 wrote: »
    You have no choice but too if you want rid of it unless you contract someone in
    Is there any particular brand? Will probably get from Agri direct.
    Is there any drawbacks to injecting the inlamb Ewe lambs ( due early April)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

serfspup wrote: »
    definitly highly hereditary,

+1
    I had a ram that threw a rake of them about 10 years ago. Never had it before then. I have found that very often they are heavy milking ewes for the first few years before this happens.

RE milking her, it shouldn't be hurting her Id have thought.. But if she has a cut or something that might explain it. Could she be stopping them on that side herself?

Have you any strongish pet that would do the milking for you for a few days?

The final option would be to foster one of them off her and keep her away from meal etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Farrell wrote: »
    Is there any particular brand? Will probably get from Agri direct.
    Is there any drawbacks to injecting the inlamb Ewe lambs ( due early April)

Not that well up on them but I think hygeia is good

Put her in the shed in her own pen and her two lambs in a pen besides her for about 4 hours,the big side it seems to have gone down to the same size as the other side and them lambs are sucking both sides I'm nearly sure.No meal might be the answer I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Last year I sold lambs to the ramadam festival in August, they were shipped to france.

At the time there was a premium for rams with tails and i was told that next year (2017) only lambs with tails would be shipped.

Is it a good or bad idea to leave the tails on all my ram lambs for this purpose,

TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

roosky wrote: »
    Last year I sold lambs to the ramadam festival in August, they were shipped to france.

At the time there was a premium for rams with tails and i was told that next year (2017) only lambs with tails would be shipped.

Is it a good or bad idea to leave the tails on all my ram lambs for this purpose,

TIA

This year it's in June. I'd speak to whoever bought them last year to see if they'll be in the market again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Any of ye ear notch ewes for culling after lambing? I tried a few different places on the ear but they bleed a lot after I notch them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Any of ye ear notch ewes for culling after lambing? I tried a few different places on the ear but they bleed a lot after I notch them
    Could you record tag numbers?

Out a big red X on them

If I record numbers I'd be afraid one would slip through unknown to me. I used to put a big red mark on them alright, probably go back to that. You have to be on the ball at shearing time though to make sure you mark her as she's been shorn. So is the ear notch only really for baby lambs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Don't worry about a bit of blood! They're not gonna bleed out on you. I've seen lads cut the ends off the ear so a notch isn't gonna kill them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

always notch prolapse & mastitis culls I do it as they are being turned out there can be a bit of bleeding but there is no way they can lose the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

As a matter of interest is there a notch thing you buy?.if so how much approximately?

serfspup wrote: »
    always notch prolapse & mastitis culls I do it as they are being turned out there can be a bit of bleeding but there is no way they can lose the mark.

They'll never lose the mastitis either. Just a matter of feeling the bag

• Advertisement

kk.man wrote: »
    As a matter of interest is there a notch thing you buy?.if so how much approximately?

https://www.fanevalleystores.com/category/351/ear-notchers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Going to see if I can get management eartags next time I order tags. Like a blank tag but a different colour, ( like red ). Just stick the tag in ear and easily spotted later. Currently Spray paint culls, but sometimes can fade by time their culled, after weaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Farrell wrote: »
    Could you record tag numbers?

I want to try them plastic circles that go around the tag. Anyone use them?

I use them when tagging replacement ewe lambs. Find it great-you know with a glance the age etc of the ewe.
    Think I paid 25-30e for ear notch.
    Management are good too but I'd be afraid they could get snagged and fall out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

You know the flexi tags / slaughter tags for get 0.20cent , could you get blank ones in the different colour ? Just stick the tag in with a flexi tag applicator ? I don't know, can you ?

I'm almost certain Cormac do them alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Lads not sure if it was this thread or not but I remember in the last week someone had up about a lamb or lambs bad on there feet after lambing and the vet thinking it might be joint I'll? Well I'd 1 today great big lamb mad for sucking but lies even when it sucks on closer inspection it's 2 front hoof joints look swollen and bent back under him any ideas Wat it is or how till sort it?

Sometimes they are born with the hooves bent under them. So if you imagine your arm being the lambs leg, your hand would be bend back under and you would be walking on you wrist so to speak. It usually comes right on it's own but we never had it very bad. Is he old?

Lambman wrote: »
    Lads not sure if it was this thread or not but I remember in the last week someone had up about a lamb or lambs bad on there feet after lambing and the vet thinking it might be joint I'll? Well I'd 1 today great big lamb mad for sucking but lies even when it sucks on closer inspection it's 2 front hoof joints look swollen and bent back under him any ideas Wat it is or how till sort it?

Sounds like joint ill, noroclav asap usually works but you need to nail it straight away if it gets a grip you won't cure it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Not even 24 hours old yet... sorry lads was in lambing shed there gonna be a busy 1 thank god there inside... can lambs be born with joint illl?

Advertisement