Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭arctictree

Weighed the Feb born lambs today. The odd heavy one but a lot of runts, mostly triplet lambs. You live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

arctictree wrote: »
    Weighed the Feb born lambs today. The odd heavy one but a lot of runts, mostly triplet lambs. You live and learn.

Did you leave the ewes with the three,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭arctictree

wrangler wrote: »
    Did you leave the ewes with the three,

The odd one with good milk I did. Mainly because I didn't have an automatic feeder this year. Will be getting one for next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I was at a meeting last night and a man made a point that once the UK leaves the EU, the 70% of NZ lamb imports into the EU that currently go into Britain will now be looking for a new home elsewhere in the EU.

Maybe a point to keep in mind if thinking of expansion or investment as that can only lead to a price drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I was at a meeting last night and a man made a point that once the UK leaves the EU, the 70% of NZ lamb imports into the EU that currently go into Britain will now be looking for a new home elsewhere in the EU.

Maybe a point to keep in mind if thinking of expansion or investment as that can only lead to a price drop?

The other positive way of looking at it, is there have been numerous reports here over the last year or two of factories having up to 30-50% of their winter daily kill coming on lorries off the ferry. They won’t be able to do that after brexit. Cannt ship the NZ ones in alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Kato74

Hmmm a Sheep thread.
    Someone tell me why it is almost impossible to get lamb this year??
    Can find full legs in supermarkets OK but trying to get a shanks or a rack was like looking for hens teeth this year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The other positive way of looking at it, is there have been numerous reports here over the last year or two of factories having up to 30-50% of their winter daily kill coming on lorries off the ferry. They won’t be able to do that after brexit. Cannt ship the NZ ones in alive.

Some of the NZ lamb will also still go to the UK since I'm guessing there'll be a NZ-UK trade agreement?

Or will the UK look elsewhere for its lamb imports?

I'd love to be optimistic about the above. But tis hard to be optimistic with the factories pulling the price from 7.00 to 5.40 within a fortnight.

As I saw on Twitter, imagine the uproar if processors cut milk prices by 20% in a fortnight?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Kato74 wrote: »
    Hmmm a Sheep thread.
    Can find full legs in supermarkets OK but trying to get a shanks or a rack was like looking for hens teeth this year.

Surely a good butcher near you can get what you want if you ask ? I've gotten shanks in the local supervalue this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Hmmm a Sheep thread.
    Bad weather slowed numbers of lambs finishing and Ramadan is still keeping demand up and prices up.

Also, the low margins and high costs of early lamb has reduced the numbers of late finishing early lambs coming on stream around now.

And as Bullocks said, head into your local butcher, no problems getting any kind of lamb in local butchers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Some of the NZ lamb will also still go to the UK since I'm guessing there'll be a NZ-UK trade agreement?

Or will the UK look elsewhere for its lamb imports?

I'd love to be optimistic about the above. But tis hard to be optimistic with the factories pulling the price from 7.00 to 5.40 within a fortnight.

As I saw on Twitter, imagine the uproar if processors cut milk prices by 20% in a fortnight?

5.40????
    Its the same every year. 130 is a Damn good price for a lamb,anything above that is a bonus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

5.40????
    Its the same every year. 130 is a Damn good price for a lamb,anything above that is a bonus

if the factory were willing to pay €7/kg two weeks they are now, they don't operate at a loss to keep a supermarket happy!

They know that if they keep farmers at an average of €100 a lamb we will stay at it and they have way too much control over the price they want to give.....imagine if two weeks ago i said i want €100 per lamb then this week rang kepak and said i want €120 and there is no negotiation.....they wouldn't entertain me too long !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Hmmm a Sheep thread.

Welcome to the sheep forum

roosky wrote: »
    if the factory were willing to pay €7/kg two weeks they are now, they don't operate at a loss to keep a supermarket happy!

They know that if they keep farmers at an average of €100 a lamb we will stay at it and they have way too much control over the price they want to give.....imagine if two weeks ago i said i want €100 per lamb then this week rang kepak and said i want €120 and there is no negotiation.....they wouldn't entertain me too long !!!
    They know that the lambs are fit now. Farmers arent going to hold onto them for a price rise to happen because we are against each otjer instead of being against the factory. If nobody sent lambs for 2 weeks. The factories would rise the price fairly sharpish but that aint going to happen because of the farmers noy acting as a collective unit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Did anyone get the balance of the welfare scheme payment, there was something about being paid a while ago, hasn't arrived yet, I could be due an inspection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

Did anyone get the balance of the welfare scheme payment, there was something about being paid a while ago, hasn't arrived yet, I could be due an inspection

Haven’t got it here either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Potential maggot issue with one of the hoggets - will have a better look in the morn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

What's the best spray to kill docks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Potential maggot issue with one of the hoggets - will have a better look in the morn

Was she clipped?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

DJ98 wrote: »
    What's the best spray to kill docks?
    Dock star I would say. I’m no expert but it did the job for us

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Was she clipped?

Shearer coming in 10 days - probably should have clipped her myself but we haven't had a prolonged spell of weather like this(warm and humid) in these parts for many a year so I guess I took my eye off the ball:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Shearer coming in 10 days - probably should have clipped her myself but we haven't had a prolonged spell of weather like this(warm and humid) in these parts for many a year so I guess I took my eye off the ball:(

Had an incidence of flystrike here earlier in week, I managed to catch the ewe with a empty meal bag in the field. Just clipped away all the infected area and treated her with iodine. We were shearing today and she had healed up about 90% of the way. Hopefully will have the rest of flock finished tomorrow. Flys seem to be getting earlier and earlier each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

ewes are filthy around the arse jere. Neighbour shearing them tomorrow. Ill give them a good dose at the same time.

ewes are filthy around the arse jere. Neighbour shearing them tomorrow. Ill give them a good dose at the same time.

It's just the soft grass this time of the year combined with the amount of wool on their tail ends, we only dose a few thin ones here at lambing and the yearlings if they need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Ah shur itll do them no harm to give it to them all the same

Ah shur itll do them no harm to give it to them all the same

Sure way to waste money and build up resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭kk.man

I dagged all mine..Now it was some job but they are as clean as whistles since. I am not as worried bout fly strike till the shearer arrives.
    I have put this down to molases in the nuts not to worms.

kk.man wrote: »
    I dagged all mine..Now it was some job but they are as clean as whistles since. I am not as worried bout fly strike till the shearer arrives.
    I have put this down to molases in the nuts not to worms.

Soft green grass this time of the year would do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

I wouldnt bother dosing them, as said already, its the soft grass that does it, had 12 ewes with maggots starting so dagged all the ewes that had any dirt on them, not in such a rush to shear now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

I wouldnt bother dosing them, as said already, its the soft grass that does it, had 12 ewes with maggots starting so dagged all the ewes that had any dirt on them, not in such a rush to shear now

That’s quite a few ewes to be affected or are you talking from a few hundred ewes?....pm if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

That’s quite a few ewes to be affected or are you talking from a few hundred ewes?....pm if you want.

Its out if around 1300 ewes , never had them this early though, father even said hes never seen them as early with us

Advertisement