Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

jfh wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can buy sponges for sheep online, my vet doesn't sell them

Don’t believe you can prescription only

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

wrangler wrote: »
    we use a reader here, if there's twenty in a pen you just keep moving the reader until you get twenty numbers.
    It has to be nearly touching the ears

A lot of the readers work with in a distance of the head and can duplicate read with out a problem and have a counter to tell number read to speed up the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

we use a reader here, if there's twenty in a pen you just keep moving the reader until you get twenty numbers.
    It has to be nearly touching the ears

I presume it will only record each tag just once?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I presume it will only record each tag just once?

yea just once, our reader can work in conjunction with the scales also and transmits the number to the scales through bluetooth.
    Numbers and weights can then be downloaded on the computer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

What kinda €€ u talking for that setup wrangler sounds fierce handy but expensive?

• Advertisement

Lambman wrote: »
    What kinda €€ u talking for that setup wrangler sounds fierce handy but expensive?

Scales was €3000 and reader with basic program and printer is about €800.
    The reader can also be used to read and record the lambing and link them to the ewes if you're tagging the lambs at birth.
    We got our reader from TGM software who have very good backup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭jfh

What kinda tags do you put on new born lambs? Do you find they lose many?

jfh wrote: »
    What kinda tags do you put on new born lambs? Do you find they lose many?

We use Quicktag, they're in strips of twenty and the automatic tagger holds the full twenty.

http://www.tagfaster.com/tagfaster-single-eid-slaughter-tags-3-p.asp.

and the applicator
    http://www.tagfaster.com/tagfaster-automatic-sheep-tag-applicator-4-p.asp

The applicator works very well, You see every second tag in the strip in the applicator is blue, the strip in that applicator is for double tagging, the english farmers are allowed use a different colour on one ear in the double tag for management, ie a different colour for every year.

We wouldn't even lose one percent of tags here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭arctictree

Ran out of spray while doing the lambs last week and am still waiting for it to arrive. One of the group that didn't get it is really badly struck. Its like most of her body has maggots, never seen it so bad. Rubbed a load of iodine into her but doubt if she will pull through...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

arctictree wrote: »
    Ran out of spray while doing the lambs last week and am still waiting for it to arrive. One of the group that didn't get it is really badly struck. Its like most of her body has maggots, never seen it so bad. Rubbed a load of iodine into her but doubt if she will pull through...
    Thankfully no sign off maggots here yet but did notice a few people talking over the weekend about having maggots in lambs... lambs seem till be staying cleaner this year with the weather... I'll be dipping in 2 weeks so hopefully have no bother till then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Mine were maggoting so I got in someone to dip them last week , the lambs have cleared up powerfully now .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

If you could clip any wool around the area it would help as well. As long as they haven’t eaten a hole completely through the lamb, they might survive. Iodine / blue spray even used stock tar here last week, all help. Fingers crossed for you

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Had the same with two lambs here. Just seemed to be clumps of maggots everywhere. Right across middle of their back and chest as well. Had one with maggots in the hoof. Mixed a bit of summer dip and spot treated. Going weaning this weekend and hopefully dipping next weekend. I think weaning and dipping the one day would be a bit much for the lambs.

If you could clip any wool around the area it would help as well. As long as they haven’t eaten a hole completely through the lamb, they might survive. Iodine / blue spray even used stock tar here last week, all help. Fingers crossed for you

What if I just got her sheared completely? Might be the only option at this stage. She just has maggots everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Dp ye put clik/clilzin on them

Dp ye put clik/clilzin on them

Ran out of it last week as we were doing the last few.

Ran out of it last week as we were doing the last few.

Iuse strong Strong salty water if the lamb is going to the factory shortly, it's also good for healing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Shear away as much wool as you can. Sheep dip. Then when dried off a bit use iodine or preferably blue spray. And a shot of antibiotic. Some electrolytes are a help too.

Willfarman wrote: »
    Shear away as much wool as you can. Sheep dip. Then when dried off a bit use iodine or preferably blue spray. And a shot of antibiotic. Some electrolytes are a help too.

Sheep dip would have to be very diluted or it'll take the rest of the skin off if the skin is anyway damaged already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Running very tight for grass here, ewes and lambs are both on almost bare ground, would it be worthwhile housing the lambs, all averaging 35kg and feed them meal and hay and sell them out of the shed as they reach a suitable weight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

DJ98 wrote: »
    Running very tight for grass here, ewes and lambs are both on almost bare ground, would it be worthwhile housing the lambs, all averaging 35kg and feed them meal and hay and sell them out of the shed as they reach a suitable weight?

I wouldnt say so. Are they weanes. Can you sell them as stores perhaps. Doubt it will pay financially

I wouldnt say so. Are they weanes. Can you sell them as stores perhaps. Doubt it will pay financially

Weaned 3 weeks, would be an option but the money for stores ain't great at the minute.

What are stores making, I'd imagine it's a buyers market at the moment.

I'm feeding both ewes and lambs here,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Willfarman wrote: »

Sheep dip would have to be very diluted or it'll take the rest of the skin off if the skin is anyway damaged already
    Thought that’d obvious enough? It’s the only proper treatment to make sure you get to kill off all the strike

What are you feeding the ewes with?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Why are you feeding ewes? Still with lambs or just no grass at all.

DJ98 wrote: »
    What are you feeding the ewes with?

.7kg/day intensive lamb ration plus whatever they can find after the lambs finish a paddock.
    Lambs are getting the same, all you can do is keep them fed and hope it rains,
    Have to keep the lambs thriving and the ewes from losing condition

Yea, no grass, lambs are weaned

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭thelegend1979

37.5kg good quality stores made 83 euro in mountbellew on saturday . Not bad money when 50kg top quality lambs sold for 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

37.5kg good quality stores made 83 euro in mountbellew on saturday . Not bad money when 50kg top quality lambs sold for 100.

seems to be a trade for stores in the west, very poor demand in the east and midlands ,

a lot of lambs housed on meals and straw/hay

some F U of a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What is the Dorset like.
    Have mainly Suffolk & Texal ewes & have been told the Dorset would be a good cross.
    Generally alternate between Suffolk & Texal rams with a Charolais for the ewes.
    Would there be any issues lambing or finishing compared to current

Advertisement