Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

wrangler wrote: »
    We never use a teaser, the rams will tease through the fence/gates. if you have two paddock with just sheep wire between them, it's as good as having them in with the ewes, I'd leave them side by side for the full fortnight even though three days is enough......there'd be more chatting up going on than you'd see in ''coppers' on a saturday night :D

Ah very good. That's good results if lambing 90% in 17 days. Saves having to buy a teaser ram too. Ours this year dragged on and on and on. Our own fault really. We just leaving the rams with the ewes till they are being housed think this year we will separate them this year. Do you separate after a certain time?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Ah very good. That's good results if lambing 90% in 17 days. Saves having to buy a teaser ram too. Ours this year dragged on and on and on. Our own fault really. We just leaving the rams with the ewes till they are being housed think this year we will separate them this year. Do you separate after a certain time?

Thanks again.

We used to keep 550 ewes here and lambed them in three batches 200, 200 and 150 in quick succession seventeen days apart. so there was chaos if 90% of the previous batch wasn't lambed when the next batch would start.
    We'd be lambing for two months any way so the rams would be left with everything until 1st December, rams would go out with the first batch on the 7th oct, second batch on the 24th and third batch on the 10th november and each batch would be teased for a fortnight before their date.
    Splitting meant that two of us handled the lambing at our ease

Sounds like a good operation ye had going. Our only bother is space for them all lambing so close. I think we are a bit soft with letting them out after a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

How long after an ivermectin worm dose should you do a fecal egg sample to check the effectiveness of the dose?

Ard_MC wrote: »
    How long after an ivermectin worm dose should you do a fecal egg sample to check the effectiveness of the dose?

10 -14 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

10 -14 days

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

Willfarman wrote: »
    The Wicklow cheviot have gotten too big and plain for my liking in general.

100% agree and doing the breed no favours hard to find ram with a correct mouth in blessington.

i like blending ncc and wicklow and if I could get the right type of texel i would use that to.

the wicklow breeders are catering for the suffolk cross market I am suiting myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Just a few comments from the Red Offal line...

I'm seeing the first signs of adult fluke in lambs. Mainly from the N and NW of the country and just smallish adults in the bile ducts, no immature stages crawling through the liver tissue itself. I put it down to early infection that got in before the weather interrupted things. Others in other plants may be seeing differently but by my estimation I'd say that it's nothing to worry about yet and if it's goodish from those counties then it should be better elsewhere. Basically what you''d expect given the year.

I'm also noticing some adult Lungworm in lamb lungs. Nothing bad, just some batches, from Wicklow/Wexford and Sligo, I think. Lungworm are considered relatively non-pathogenic in sheep although when you see them you'd wonder how. They would have to be predisposing to bacterial pneumonia and would be causing some coughing. If bad enough they could cause deaths but nothing I've seen is anywhere close to that. I would presume from what I've seen that Lungworm could be a problem once this weather improves as I often associate it with the rainfall that relieves a dry spell. Basically, be aware of it. Regular worm dosing helps control it and it's normally not a problem but it is a more explosive disease in cattle than stomach worms and I'd expect the same in sheep.

This image from the web is more-or-less what I'm seeing:

p17422mu.jpg

Small numbers of wiry worms, low in the lung lobes coming out of a swollen bronchiole filled with white fluid. This can cause a deep purple rectangle at the base of the lungs or an area of over-inflated white tissue, or a bit of a mixture.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »

I'm seeing the first signs of adult fluke in lambs. Mainly from the N and NW of the country and just smallish adults in the bile ducts, no immature stages crawling through the liver tissue itself. I put it down to early infection that got in before the weather interrupted things. Others in other plants may be seeing differently but by my estimation I'd say that it's nothing to worry about yet and if it's goodish from those counties then it should be better elsewhere. Basically what you''d expect given the year.

I'm also noticing some adult Lungworm in lamb lungs. Nothing bad, just some batches, from Wicklow/Wexford and Sligo, I think. Lungworm are considered relatively non-pathogenic in sheep although when you see them you'd wonder how. They would have to be predisposing to bacterial pneumonia and would be causing some coughing. If bad enough they could cause deaths but nothing I've seen is anywhere close to that. I would presume from what I've seen that Lungworm could be a problem once this weather improves as I often associate it with the rainfall that relieves a dry spell. Basically, be aware of it. Regular worm dosing helps control it and it's normally not a problem but it is a more explosive disease in cattle than stomach worms and I'd expect the same in sheep.

p17422mu.jpg

Small numbers of wiry worms, low in the lung lobes coming out of a swollen bronchiole filled with white fluid. This can cause a deep purple rectangle at the base of the lungs or an area of over-inflated white tissue, or a bit of a mixture.

yea, getting a lot of coughing in the lambs in the last three weeks, will ask the factory vets to have a look at the next load, they were dosed with ZOLVIX for this project four weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

Starting to feed just weaned lambs, what is best type of feed,will be on grass which is a bit steamy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Vandy West wrote: »
    Starting to feed just weaned lambs, what is best type of feed,will be on grass which is a bit steamy

Depends on how close they are to finishing weight.

“Protein for growth, energy for finishing” is the rule of thumb.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

p17422mu.jpg

ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Always great to get some feedback. Always thought it should be compulsory that it comes out with Cheque

A lot of coughing in my own lambs here. Got cydectin oral 10 days ago but not sure it’s stopped it yet.

yea, getting a lot of coughing in the lambs in the last three weeks, will ask the factory vets to have a look at the next load, they were dosed with ZOLVIX for this project four weeks ago

What project is that?

Just weaned all lambs today. Dose of cobalt and worms. Was surprised with how well they were doing. Good few into the 40kg mark. Was thinking of dipping next week but don't think I'll be dipping now. Separate ewe and ram lambs next week.

We started hogget and lamb finisher about 2weeks ago now because grass wasn't growing much. Pick up in growth the last few days so won't be getting a huge amount. Feed them a bit after weaning anyway to leasing the weight loss.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

razor8 wrote: »
    ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Always great to get some feedback. Always thought it should be compulsory that it comes out with Cheque

Something in the future. Factories aren't set up for it yet. You should follow the lambs up and ask.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

What project is that?

A student doing a PHD parasitology in Teagasc, OH loves that sort of thing so only delighted to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

What types off dip are you guys using? Used Osmond ecofleece for years here used cyberguard last year and was happy enough but it seems till have gone up €15 per 2litre.

We use Summer Dip here. Not sure who makes it. We get the fella with the shower to do the ewes. We'll do the lambs ourself in the tank if we have to.

Something in the future. Factories aren't set up for it yet. You should follow the lambs up and ask.

Well it could be a bargaining tool in the EID tagging debate

Lambs are dropped off at a collection point and factory is 2 hours away so it’s not very convenient for most farmers to follow stock up the line

Lambs are dropped off at a collection point and factory is 2 hours away so it’s not very convenient for most farmers to follow stock up the line

Most factories will do it for you without you having to be there, you're not going to be asking for it on every batch nor even on every lamb, just a general indication.
    I've seen farmers in our group being made aware of fluke without requesting it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Lads what would be the best ram to put with scotch ewes to breed replacements, cheviot, texel, belclare, border Leicester or bluefaced Leicester? I know that they will all give a different type ewe it which would be best?

I can understand that and even though I encourage local farmers to go up the line, most don't. It is educational in various ways though.
    Some producer groups have a Rep that will be present as their lambs go through.

A sheep line deals with a lot more carcases per hour than a cattle line and that will complicate arranging feedback.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

DJ98 wrote: »
    Lads what would be the best ram to put with scotch ewes to breed replacements, cheviot, texel, belclare, border Leicester or bluefaced Leicester? I know that they will all give a different type ewe it which would be best?
    It depends on what you’re wanting to get. Do you want mules, grey faced, half breds, hiltex etc. A lot depends on the type of ewe you use but the most important thing is having a good ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Most factories will do it for you without you having to be there,

Kildare have tightened up things recently (since the unfortunate accident). Farmers are no longer allowed into the factory. Used to always follow them up the line and get the vet to check the liver for me. Very useful information to have. I’m guessing however you can still request it to be done.

Kildare have tightened up things recently (since the unfortunate accident). Farmers are no longer allowed into the factory. Used to always follow them up the line and get the vet to check the liver for me. Very useful information to have. I’m guessing however you can still request it to be done.

What was the unfortunate accident. We send ours to kildare as well. Would be useful information to have.

Most factories will do it for you without you having to be there, you're not going to be asking for it on every batch nor even on every lamb, just a general indication.
    I've seen farmers in our group being made aware of fluke without requesting it

I’ve asked on a couple of occasions in navan to be told they forgot

I’ve asked on a couple of occasions in navan to be told they forgot

Was it the agent or the factory that forgot, the last test that was done for me in Camoln was liver biopsies to send off for copper levels so I can't complain.

Tbh I forget. Must remember for next time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Tbh I forget. Must remember for next time

The speed that they work in the factory, checking the livers is more or less a 30 second job. Them remembering to do it and report back is the challenging part with the shear number of lots they go through a day. Was very handy for the vet to check it in front of you and let you know on the spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Any point in feeding hay along side nuts to lambs that have no grass?

Advertisement