Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

MeTheMan wrote: »
    I have ya. The blades came setup anyway and all looked right to me. We'll give the dagging a go anyway and come next year try a few ewes ourself earlier in the year. See how it goes.

i'd always give new blades a rub before i'd use them, some wouldn't be great.
    Any way you'll get it with practise

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

wrangler wrote: »
    i'd always give new blades a rub before i'd use them, some wouldn't be great.
    Any way you'll get it with practise

Like you said it's a lot to do with handling the sheep. Our shearer said once you get it you'll never 'hold' a ewe while shearing. They sit lie and lean.

He said 10000 sheep before you call yourself a shearer. I'll be 100 years shearing our 100! :)

Like you said it's a lot to do with handling the sheep. Our shearer said once you get it you'll never 'hold' a ewe while shearing. They sit lie and lean.

He said 10000 sheep before you call yourself a shearer. I'll be 100 years shearing our 100! :)

It's lovely to watch my shearer, firstly as you say the sheep nearly move of their own accord and secondly the sheep are only held for a little over a minute so they don't get restless...minimum kicking etc.
    He does 10000 + every year, but would still do courses and shear some days with competition shearers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Haha, I don’t think my pockets would stretch that far. a humble farmer like myself will stick to the Lleyns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

wrangler wrote: »

Heading down to tullow now looking for best paying breed:O

Heading down to tullow now looking for best paying breed:O

Jesus christ. Majority i picked out made 1000+ even lambs that were a bit low or had no stars.
    3rd placed lamb was best sheep in yard imo.148 was the lot we wanted but 48 was a fine sheep also but wasnt the type we wanted. We were "bridesmaids" on an occasion or two haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Jesus christ. Majority i picked out made 1000+ even lambs that were a bit low or had no stars.
    3rd placed lamb was best sheep in yard imo.148 was the lot we wanted but 48 was a fine sheep also but wasnt the type we wanted. We were "bridesmaids" on an occasion or two haha
    Wishing a boardsie member best of luck with his new stock ram

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

Thanks for complement on the ram, he wasn’t pushed so looked small I guess. Was s super trade and I’m delighted with my purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have been waiting on dispatch dockets to come for 5 weeks now, rang the national sheep identification offices 2 weeks ago and they said they were never ordered, local dvo didn't pass on the information seemingly, I was told I'd have them within 10 days but still no sign, have lambs ready to go for the last 3 weeks, amyway I could sell these if the dispatch dockets with my name don't arrive this week, can you get temporary documents or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Yea local department office will give u emergency dockets they just print them off I got them a few time usually give me 5... printed on normal paper so you'll have till fill the 3 pages out separate.

Anyone know where I could get a digital scales online for weighing lambs? Have the cage just looking for a digital clock. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

DJ98 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could get a digital scales online for weighing lambs? Have the cage just looking for a digital clock. Thank you.

A normal scale with a digital readout or one of them yellow boxes that store the weights etc?

This ad came up on the corner of my computer when I opened it this morning.....wouldn't be surprised if your post had something to do with it
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-h9608.html?currency=EUR&Warehouse=CN&aid=gdmktlyly&mid=10000018494&utm_source=SEM&utm_medium=Google+Adwords&utm_campaign=TT_DMKT_YLY&utm_content=2945&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-amcwNrI3AIVp6rtCh2G7gDNEAEYASABEgIS2fD_BwE

Connacht Agri have one at €156 as well.
    https://connachtagri.ie/product/digital-hanging-weigh-clock/

I'm sure you'll get plenty on line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

razor8 wrote: »

I don't know how Connacht Agri sell anything, mad prices on most things.

That's why I said there's plenty online

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

We have an analogue clock for our scales but can't zero it when it takes the weight of the crate. The crate weighs 40kg so we have to subtract this from the final weight when the lamb is in it;

e.g.
    lamb in create: 84kg
    minus 40kg crate
    gives 44kg lamb

Not a big job but is there any way to zero the scales?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

We have an analogue clock for our scales but can't zero it when it takes the weight of the crate. The crate weighs 40kg so we have to subtract this from the final weight when the lamb is in it;

e.g.
    minus 40kg crate
    gives 44kg lamb

There's usually screws on the top or bottom to adjust it back to zero, we had one that you could move the dial, you should consider one of those cheapie digitals

It has a screw at the top to adjust it a few kgs either way but it won't adjust back 40kgs.

You're probably right re those cheap digital ones: for 40-odd quid I might just buy that one from Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

e.g.
    minus 40kg crate
    gives 44kg lamb

There should be a screw on it, adjust it when there’s no weight on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

I’ve one of them orange ones the last 4 years and still perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Your analogue scale is too light I'm guessing it goes till 100kg? You need till buy a 250kg scale that will sort it... same thing happened a neighbour he bought the cheapest analogue scale €35 for 100kg I think he paid but he needed the 250kg one for his bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

e.g.
    minus 40kg crate
    gives 44kg lamb

Some clocks you can unscrew the nut in the middle of the face, that holds on the hand/needle/pointer and move the needle to zero after you take up the weigh. Others you can move the dial.

Lambman wrote: »
    Your analogue scale is too light I'm guessing it goes till 100kg? You need till buy a 250kg scale that will sort it... same thing happened a neighbour he bought the cheapest analogue scale €35 for 100kg I think he paid but he needed the 250kg one for his bridge.

The two examples I put up are 300kg as is razor 8s example

Thanks (as ever!)

Yeah, it's a 100kg scales and cost around 40 Euro as far as I remember. Unfortunately I got what I paid for in this case!

Will tinker around with it again and might just bite the bullet and buy a digital one if I can't adjust it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭arctictree

Thanks (as ever!)

Yeah, it's a 100kg scales and cost around 40 Euro as far as I remember. Unfortunately I got what I paid for in this case!

Will tinker around with it again and might just bite the bullet and buy a digital one if I can't adjust it.

I must have bought the same one. It goes up to 100Kg and I bought it for €38 a few weeks ago in Glanbia. To be fair, it works great for me. Much prefer it to the digital clock I had before. My cage also weighs around 40Kg so I just have it adjusted to start at exactly 40 and work out the weights from there. I actually did buy the 250Kg one first but brought it back as it wasn't sensitive enough for lambs. It drove me mental looking at the needle jumping between 30 and 40!

arctictree wrote: »
    I must have bought the same one. It goes up to 100Kg and I bought it for €38 a few weeks ago in Glanbia. To be fair, it works great for me. Much prefer it to the digital clock I had before. My cage also weighs around 40Kg so I just have it adjusted to start at exactly 40 and work out the weights from there. I actually did buy the 250Kg one first but brought it back as it wasn't sensitive enough for lambs. It drove me mental looking at the needle jumping between 30 and 40!

Ours goes up to around 100kg
    Deadly accurate. Weighs 50kg bag of manure and 25kg bag of nuts bang on. Was got from cormac many moons ago

A picture I got of the ewe lambs I was thinking of selling for breeding. Any feed back welcome.
    457161.jpg
    457162.jpg

A picture I got of the ewe lambs I was thinking of selling for breeding. Any feed back welcome.

A fine bunch of lambs, what breed are they?

• Advertisement

A fine bunch of lambs, what breed are they?

Quite a mix. All off purebred texel rams. Then some kerry Hill ewes, Suffolk crosses, brockies.

Advertisement