Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

It has a screw at the top to adjust it a few kgs either way but it won't adjust back 40kgs.

You're probably right re those cheap digital ones: for 40-odd quid I might just buy that one from Amazon

My one is gone the exact same. Don’t know how, but don’t think their made to last anymore. I’ve to put a 25kg meal bag on to it to adjust it back to-10kg and remember to add 10kg to the weight when the lamb is in it. The screws in the back are soft rubbish and go to bits when you try and open the clock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

MeTheMan wrote: »
    A picture I got of the ewe lambs I was thinking of selling for breeding. Any feed back welcome.
    457161.jpg
    457162.jpg
    A fine bunch of sheep. Id take out the few smaller onea though and sell them separately. Nothing like 1 bad sheep to ruin a good pen of them

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭early_riser

Anyone ever grow gorrilla forage rape?? Was looking to sow redstart but co op had no seed left, getting gorrilla tomorrow they say it very good for sheep doesnt grow as high going to try it.

Also anyone grow marco turnips can be grazed after 60 days from sowing

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

A fine bunch of sheep. Id take out the few smaller onea though and sell them separately. Nothing like 1 bad sheep to ruin a good pen of them

Ah ya. That was just the full group of ewe lambs. Probably sell in a few lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

wrangler wrote: »
    This ad came up on the corner of my computer when I opened it this morning.....wouldn't be surprised if your post had something to do with it
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-h9608.html?currency=EUR&Warehouse=CN&aid=gdmktlyly&mid=10000018494&utm_source=SEM&utm_medium=Google+Adwords&utm_campaign=TT_DMKT_YLY&utm_content=2945&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-amcwNrI3AIVp6rtCh2G7gDNEAEYASABEgIS2fD_BwE

Connacht Agri have one at €156 as well.
    https://connachtagri.ie/product/digital-hanging-weigh-clock/

I'm sure you'll get plenty on line
    Bought the exact same scales from AliExpress for 22 Euro including delivery

• Advertisement

Update on the EID tags.

'The new requirements will now be introduced in two stages, as follows:
    With effect from October 1, 2018, all National Sheep Identification System (NSIS) approved tag suppliers will only sell two tag types:

Single electronic slaughter tags – for animals less than 12 months, or for lambs moving directly from the farm of birth to slaughter;
    Electronic tag sets – for all other sheep movements.

With effect from June 1, 2019, all sheep moving off a holding must be identified electronically, requiring either:

A single electronic slaughter tag – where lambs less than 12 months of age are moved directly from the birth holding to a slaughter plant;
    An electronic tag set – in the case of all other sheep movements.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/revisions-announced-for-mandatory-extension-of-eid-tagging-to-all-sheep/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Update on the EID tags.

With effect from October 1, 2018, all National Sheep Identification System (NSIS) approved tag suppliers will only sell two tag types:

Single electronic slaughter tags – for animals less than 12 months, or for lambs moving directly from the farm of birth to slaughter;

With effect from June 1, 2019, all sheep moving off a holding must be identified electronically, requiring either:

A single electronic slaughter tag – where lambs less than 12 months of age are moved directly from the birth holding to a slaughter plant;

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/revisions-announced-for-mandatory-extension-of-eid-tagging-to-all-sheep/

i know it would cost us more but part of me wishes it was just one tag type, like cattle.......i will spend the next three years explaining this to a few of my elderly neighbors :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭arctictree

Update on the EID tags.

So we can still use single tags for lambs going to Mart until June 1st 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

What tag company do people use and is it possible to just change or do you need to notify someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Moved both sheep and cattle to the cormac tags last year. Find them good so far. Haven’t lost any yet. No I don’t think you have to notify anyone just order from who you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

When you move supplier do they know what from what tag number till print from Eg 00575d or do you have till let them know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

What do people make of mullinahone coops tags? Currently use them but planning on changing to Cormac, tags are cheaper also

DJ98 wrote: »
    What do people make of mullinahone coops tags? Currently use them but planning on changing to Cormac, tags are cheaper also

Used to use the mullinahone ones but found them easily lost. Moved to cormac and found them better. That said most lost around here are due to the sheep sticking their heads into sheep wire with big gaps. Buying better sheep wire would help retention rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Cormacs and elite tags in donegal are the best ones I find

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

razor8 wrote: »

Where do people get their replacement & upgrade EID tags from?

using elite (shearwell) full time for about 5 years now, & wouldn't use any others at this stage,

next topic : :rolleyes:

been offered some sheep grazing what would be a fair rate per low land ewe per week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Lambman wrote: »
    When you move supplier do they know what from what tag number till print from Eg 00575d or do you have till let them know?

no just herd number

Where do people get their replacement & upgrade EID tags from?

Just order new eid tags and correlate the tag it’s replacing in the register

orm0nd wrote: »
    using elite (shearwell) full time for about 5 years now, & wouldn't use any others at this stage,

next topic : :rolleyes:

been offered some sheep grazing what would be a fair rate per low land ewe per week?

If it’s fenced & good quality I’d be happy to pay €2.50 to €3.00 per sheep a month

If it’s fenced & good quality I’d be happy to pay €2.50 to €3.00 per sheep a month

Good quality
    I would have to erect about 400 metres of 3 strand electric fence at 1 point. Not a big deal. I have the materials and there is a single strand of powered mains in situ.

• Advertisement

Good quality
    I would have to erect about 400 metres of 3 strand electric fence at 1 point. Not a big deal. I have the materials and there is a single strand of powered mains in situ.

If you’re letting out, would you not be safer putting up HT sheep wire & avoid any hassle with neighbour?

If you’re letting out, would you not be safer putting up HT sheep wire & avoid any hassle with neighbour?

I'm deffo not letting out. Trying to build a bank on home farm after drought. Won't be any hassle.

arctictree wrote: »
    So we can still use single tags for lambs going to Mart until June 1st 2019?

I believe that's what it saying. I think it just 2018 lambs though.

First load of lambs heading for kildare this morning.

I believe that's what it saying. I think it just 2018 lambs though.

First load of lambs heading for kildare this morning.

I don't see why 2019 springs moved b4 1st june can't be sold on single mart tag,

I'll be ordering singles before 1st oct with this in mind, if I'm wrong somebody please correct me

I don't see why 2019 springs moved b4 1st june can't be sold on single mart tag,

I'll be ordering singles before 1st oct with this in mind, if I'm wrong somebody please correct me

I can't see why that would be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

As far as I see, that'll be fine. Any man buying them for replacements will have to buy an electronic set for them when they pass 12 months of age, but that's the current situation anyway.

You'll have to buy what non-electronic ones you think you'll need before 1st October this year.
    I ordered Mart tags a few weeks ago and they were cautioning against buying more than I'd use this summer.

Nekarsulm wrote: »

As far as I see, that'll be fine. Any man buying them for replacements will have to buy an electronic set for them when they pass 12 months of age, but that's the current situation anyway.

You'll have to buy what non-electronic ones you think you'll need before 1st October this year.
    I ordered Mart tags a few weeks ago and they were cautioning against buying more than I'd use this summer.
    Will next year not be a problem for the person buying stores, where they'll have 1 (EID) Tag & they'll need a second (Non EID)

I’m guessing they’ll allow people use up old stocks. If you can’t buy them after October and they’ve to be used on lambs up to 12 months old, then they’ll flush old stocks out of the system fast enough. I’ve a few kept here that will be used on very old cull ewes that lost their tags when their sent to Knackery. Absolutely ridiculous putting an electric tag into them ones. I’ve lost patience with this minister long ago and will express my opinion in the ballot box next time around.

Will next year not be a problem for the person buying stores, where they'll have 1 (EID) Tag & they'll need a second (Non EID)

no

very few stores traded before 1st june

after that all sheep not going for direct slaughter must be double tagged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

no

very few stores traded before 1st june

after that all sheep not going for direct slaughter must be double tagged

Am I right in saying for ewe lambs bought this year with a single mart tag - they can have a double EID tag applied (of the new holding) with the old tag removed, and the correlation between tags recorded in the flock register?

Is that still acceptable?

Advertisement