Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Lambman wrote: »
    Got them this morning good start till my dealings with cormac tags... ordered after 9pm Tuesday nite in the house Thursday morning 10.10 am.

Couple of weeks ago tags ordered before lunch arrived next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Either they’re efficient or not too busy :-) No we changed to them last year. Getting both cattle and sheep tags and they’re excellent so far in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Either they’re efficient or not too busy :-) No we changed to them last year. Getting both cattle and sheep tags and they’re excellent so far in fairness.

Always use Mullinahone here in the ewes, very little lost tags, maybe less than 1%/year, I always order well in advance so have never really been stuck, but usually around 48hrs to deliver
    Get the lamb tags from Quicktags in the north because they were the cheapest for electronic tags then and have an automatic tagger, tagger holds about twenty tags.don't know how they compare now pricewise but the tagger is very handy. They deliver in 48hrs too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Was mullinahone for everything here... notice the cormac mart tags are only printed 1 side compared till 2 sides with mullinahone and mullinahone is cheaper... couldn't run down there quality either very little lost tags on the ewes... you've till give the cormac taggers a good snap till get the tag till release.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭orm0nd

reason we gave up the cormac tags was , we found it very difficult or impossible to read the eid tags after 3 to 4 years

also quite a number of the tags split ( maybe this was from the tombstone barriers)

changed to shearwell , and no comparsion

my o/h has very little power in her hands and has no problem closing the shearwell tagger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Do Cormac, Mullinahone, Shearwell, use couriers to deliver, or An Post, I use CAHL in Tullow, and it takes a week to get tags, and the hassle of the courier delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Any link to their site ? I’m open minded to trying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Do Cormac, Mullinahone, Shearwell, use couriers to deliver, or An Post, I use CAHL in Tullow, and it takes a week to get tags, and the hassle of the courier delivery.

Mullinahone uses an post, 6.95 i think for delivery or there abouts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

wrangler wrote: »
    Always use Mullinahone here in the ewes, very little lost tags, maybe less than 1%/year, I always order well in advance so have never really been stuck, but usually around 48hrs to deliver
    Get the lamb tags from Quicktags in the north because they were the cheapest for electronic tags then and have an automatic tagger, tagger holds about twenty tags.don't know how they compare now pricewise but the tagger is very handy. They deliver in 48hrs too

Use mullinahone tags and find very easy to read for recording information at lambing etc, purchased a few ewe lambs with cormac tags a couple of years ago and find tags have broken and harder to read now and cheaper, use cormac coloured disc for replacements and are a good job.

Use mullinahone tags and find very easy to read for recording information at lambing etc, purchased a few ewe lambs with cormac tags a couple of years ago and find tags have broken and harder to read now and cheaper, use cormac coloured disc for replacements and are a good job.

Fairly common for numbers to fade on Cormac tags, when they came out first a pedigree breeder had to DNA test his lambs to get parentage because the numbers disappeared off the tags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Any link to their site ? I’m open minded to trying anything.

http://www.sheeptags.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Cormac use an post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Found this on a lamb today, thought maggots but no sign.
    Anyone know what this is

Anyone know what this is

Was he treated with Clik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

wrangler wrote: »
    Was he treated with Clik

No, Got nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Anyone know what this is
    Looks like maggots but they died off before they could do much damage.

Looks like maggots but they died off before they could do much damage.

That was my thought too, sometimes Clik kills them after they hatch out too.
    You'd see something like that too if they were killed by frost ....it's a bit early for that though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Best of luck with him, one of Alan’s ?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Murang

Was anyone at the mule sale in ma’am cross and what were prices like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

European Survey looking for sheep farmers views on EID. Short enough. Only takes about 5mins.

http://limesurvey.idele.fr/index.php/677643/lang-en

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

MeTheMan wrote: »
    European Survey looking for sheep farmers views on EID. Short enough. Only takes about 5mins.

http://limesurvey.idele.fr/index.php/677643/lang-en

Let me summarise the findings as will no doubt be rolled out.

EID provides excellent management opportunities for commercial farmers.

40% of sheep are kept on farms where these systems are in operation and the implementation of mandatory EID of all sheep opens the possibility for this to increase further. To aid this TAMS 3 will include grant aid for (overpriced) EID equipment.

They will of course omit the detail that the 40% of sheep are on 10% of the respondents farms and that over 50% of respondents said the technology was too expensive and their farm could not justify the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Let me summarise the findings as will no doubt be rolled out.

EID provides excellent management opportunities for commercial farmers.

40% of sheep are kept on farms where these systems are in operation and the implementation of mandatory EID of all sheep opens the possibility for this to increase further. To aid this TAMS 3 will include grant aid for (overpriced) EID equipment.

They will of course omit the detail that the 40% of sheep are on 10% of the respondents farms and that over 50% of respondents said the technology was too expensive and their farm could not justify the investment.

Hit the nail on the head and it was the final nail in the coffin on this farm with sheep. Quoted €4.90 today for lambs. Just fed up of it all. Getting caught on all sides and no one to fight your corner only yourself which is nearly a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

It’s a bad few weeks to kill lambs. Factories are jammed up. Man in lareage said a loads of lambs from the west a lot of mule and horned ram lambs around. Also a lot of lorries from the north when I was there.

It’s a bad few weeks to kill lambs. Factories are jammed up. Man in lareage said a loads of lambs from the west a lot of mule and horned ram lambs around. Also a lot of lorries from the north when I was there.

Yea you'd always be expecting a drop now, never too bad to be getting around a fiver, only for ramadan it would've dropped sooner, plenty of lambs around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

They are planning a hoor of a cut next week apparently. 4.90 will possibly look very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Which is better to put in a ram for the mating season raddle powder or a harness?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

DJ98 wrote: »
    Which is better to put in a ram for the mating season raddle powder or a harness?

We use raddle powder here but Id say harness is better. Raddle wears off fairly quick. Wouldn't really last the 2 weeks before changing colour. First ewe mated is covered in the colour 15-20 ewes later you can hardly see it. Think I'll get a harness this year. Colour is easy changed and depending on how many your mating will last a few seasons I'd say.

Only down side of the harness is getting it to fit right. Too tight and it will rub/cut them. Too lose and it will fall/leave no mark. But it's not rocket science to put them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

We use raddle powder and oil and grease on the rams and works super well and change on ever cycle. Used to harness in fathers time and used to be very hard to keep tight on the ram and a full time job catching the rams to tighten harness and upsetting the ewes. Now rams caught every 14days with a bit of meal and a quick mark and saves hardship next January and February in the shed. Work now less in the spring.

Advertisement