Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

We use raddle powder and oil and grease on the rams and works super well and change on ever cycle. Used to harness in fathers time and used to be very hard to keep tight on the ram and a full time job catching the rams to tighten harness and upsetting the ewes. Now rams caught every 14days with a bit of meal and a quick mark and saves hardship next January and February in the shed. Work now less in the spring.

How does it save hardship next January and February in the shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Because you know exactly when they were tipped so know when they are going to lamb. You can feed them correctly and if you’re short of space you can leave the later ones outside a bit longer.

When you take over a flock number do you automatically become the owner of any stock registered to than flock number, or does the old owner need to complete a dispatch docket signing over the animals to the the new owner of the same flock number. Recently took over my grand father's flock number and am just wondering how this works. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Who ones the sheep you or your grandfather?? Who’s flock have they been in up to now? If they were your grandfathers and you now have the flock number then I would say they are now registered to you

Who ones the sheep you or your grandfather?? Who’s flock have they been in up to now?

Grandfather owns them, Transferred number into my name.But didn't sell the stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

The sheep are registered to a herd number so who ever "owns" the herd number owns the sheep......your name your sheep.........commiserations !!!

roosky wrote: »
    The sheep are registered to a herd number so who ever "owns" the herd number owns the sheep......your name your sheep.........commiserations !!!

So the new owner of the flock number is the owner of the sheep? Sorry still very confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

DJ98 wrote: »
    So the new owner of the flock number is the owner of the sheep? Sorry still very confused.

Yes

So here is my idea ....am i mad????

I shear in June and used to crutch the ewes in September and shear ewe lambs.

I will need to dip or click ewes in next week or so as im out of the country fro 18 days in September so need to avoid maggots

Would it be a mad idea to just shear all the ewes and ewe lambs in a week or two and then they would be a lot cleaner and handier managed over lambing.

The cost of it will just be offset against click

I will need to dip or click ewes in next week or so as im out of the country fro 18 days in September so need to avoid maggots

Would it be a mad idea to just shear all the ewes and ewe lambs in a week or two and then they would be a lot cleaner and handier managed over lambing.

No. We shore the ewes last week. Was a much reduced amount of wool conpared to other years though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

There's no reason not to shear them all, easier to do Clik but as you say they'd be cleaner for lambing if shorn now,
    I always shear only in August.......Clik in early June

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Dosed all ewes and ewes lambs and rams this morning and done rams feet... walked the farm and think this year I'm in a very good position lands still dry and grass is still growing have 90% off the lambs away ewes are in good condition even though there not on good grass... got me thinking I either need till buy stores or start flushing ewes now and lamb earlier next year... stores are hard till buy at the minute and I'm not a fan off lambing too early... any other options? Buying more ewes might be an option but wasn't at any breeding sales yet and don't want till bring outside ewes till main flock this close till mating.

wrangler wrote: »
    There's no reason not to shear them all, easier to do Clik but as you say they'd be cleaner for lambing if shorn now,
    I always shear only in August.......Clik in early June

Ya but would it be mad to go to twice a year shearing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Would have to work be more costly to shear them a second time then what the clik costs

Would have to work be more costly to shear them a second time then what the clik costs

Its €1.75 per ewe for clik costs about a euro to shear after wool sales

Clikzin would do at this time of year. A lot of effort to go to for the sake of 0.75c or less a ewe. Wouldn’t even pay you minimum wage

Not really. You only going to get half a fleece of wool each time you shear.

I know people that do it but they shear their own, €2.50/hd might be a pain especially as they have very little wool

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sheepman2

Would There be any benefit shearing ewe lambs that are being kept for hoggets this time of year to help them grow on a bit? Disadvantages to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Lambman wrote: »
    Dosed all ewes and ewes lambs and rams this morning and done rams feet... walked the farm and think this year I'm in a very good position lands still dry and grass is still growing have 90% off the lambs away ewes are in good condition even though there not on good grass... got me thinking I either need till buy stores or start flushing ewes now and lamb earlier next year... stores are hard till buy at the minute and I'm not a fan off lambing too early... any other options? Buying more ewes might be an option but wasn't at any breeding sales yet and don't want till bring outside ewes till main flock this close till mating.

Same position myself, have a bunched of horned ram lambs at 32kg avg. Goin to buy a bunch of good horned ram lambs same avg weight. Run on grass and probably house and finish after xmas.

Sheepman2 wrote: »
    Would There be any benefit shearing ewe lambs that are being kept for hoggets this time of year to help them grow on a bit? Disadvantages to it?

Dont think there are disadvantages

They can be a pain at lambing if they have too much wool, we always shear them this time of year.....you imagine it helps them grow too

They can be a pain at lambing if they have too much wool, we always shear them this time of year.....you imagine it helps them grow too

Ya i find ewe lambs spend the winder stuck in briars if not sheared and the ewes will be cleaner.....so best to do is shear this September and click next may/june

I clicked in June last year, planned to shear in August. However August was a washout. Struggled to get them done in broken weather in September. Was very hard to get them dry to do. They came through winter a lot cleaner, but felt under pressure in September. This year I went back to start of June. Longer days and better weather. Overall doesn’t make much of a difference, just happy to get it done and out of the way for another year, whenever you choose to do them .

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sheepman2

Would you shear them again then later next summer before sale

Would you shear them again then later next summer before sale

If you're going to sell them as hoggets it's better shear them early june, they look better with more wool on them.
    The ewe lambs that we're shearing now are our replacements and won't be sold, they'll be lambing in March at a year old and then shorn later in the summer

Anyone any experience with suftex rams?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

See a lamb intended for the freezer biting
    How long after treating with summer would you leave before slaughter?

• Advertisement

Anyone here use single síre mating, how do you find it, have 2 rams here and want to split the ewes to get an even spread from both rams, was thinking of buying 2 ram lambs to run with each of the older rams, would this be better than just the one ram?

Advertisement