Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

We were told on the course that two rams running with the ewes is the worst. They spend the whole time stopping each other mating. One it better then two. We run three together. While two are distracted with each other the third fella can get the business done.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

Would you not raddle the rams and swap them after 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

ladsdosed sheep yesterday and took samples, when do you retest the faecal samples for resistance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have mineral buckets out with ewes, they have been dosed and footbathed and will be dipped in the coming weeks. They are on good quality grass. Anything else that they would need before going to the ram?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

ladsdosed sheep yesterday and took samples, when do you retest the faecal samples for resistance ?
    What did u dose with a wormer or a fluke dose? Could test after a week for the worms again but take a good bit longer till get an accurate kill on the fluke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Brought lambs to the factory yesterday and one had tape worms. Fella on the line told me a guy brought down lambs last week and 60 of them were condemned over tape worms

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Brought lambs to the factory yesterday and one had tape worms. Fella on the line told me a guy brought down lambs last week and 60 of them were condemned over tape worms

They must have been bad, they seem to be worse this year, but never heard of lambs being condemned over them.
    Keep your dogs dosed,

Lambman wrote: »
    What did u dose with a wormer or a fluke dose? Could test after a week for the worms again but take a good bit longer till get an accurate kill on the fluke.

Thanks, a wormer. Will test again on day 7 so to see how we get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

The length of time to recheck depends if white yellow or clear drench

razor8 wrote: »
    The length of time to recheck depends if white yellow or clear drench

Was white drench, suppose not ideal for this time of year but said I might as well make a start somewhere .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i think clear worm dose is recommended this time of year.
    i have too do mine as well , what do people recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimbo789

I am going to dose with Cydectin TriclaMox this week. It’s a combination dose with Moxidectin and Triclabendazole so it covers worms and early immature fluke. It’s about €60 for a litre.

Leave it ten days after a white dose before you retest

wrangler wrote: »
    Leave it ten days after a white dose before you retest

Does the white dose work slower then the yellow or clear ? I gave them the higher dose to include fluke, but it doesn’t do the immature fluke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Willfarman wrote: »

She doesn't look 70

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Does the white dose work slower then the yellow or clear ? I gave them the higher dose to include fluke, but it doesn’t do the immature fluke.

The recheck time for the ivermectin (clear dose) is 14 -16 days
    Yellow dose is a week.
    White dose is 10 - 14 days, so you wouldn't have given it enough time to work and you'd learn nothing
    Target is to have a 95% + killed in that time
    That's if you want to do it right....sheep welfare scheme doesn't care when you do it as long as you have results of two tests

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Willfarman wrote: »
    Fodder crisis forces farmer into prostitution!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

How long would ewes want to be away from rams before you try getting the ram effect to work?

I think Teagasc say 6 weeks but realistically would 3-4 weeks be OK? Say, if we remove the ram this week, would we get the full effect when we leave him back within sight/smell of the ewes for 2 days on 1-Oct?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

How long would ewes want to be away from rams before you try getting the ram effect to work?

I think Teagasc say 6 weeks but realistically would 3-4 weeks be OK? Say, if we remove the ram this week, would we get the full effect when we leave him back within sight/smell of the ewes for 2 days on 1-Oct?

Idk tbh. Ram lambs are meant to mess it up aswell but i still do it anyways. It cant hurt

• Advertisement

Have a wether running with the ewes, thought there would be no harm but this evening he's jumping on ewes and chasing them, is this normal or is he a full ram or is it just his natural instinct? Please help as he's a terrible sheep and the last thing I need is runts of lambs being born after him. Thank you. Should I take him away from the ewes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

DJ98 wrote: »
    Have a wether running with the ewes, thought there would be no harm but this evening he's jumping on ewes and chasing them, is this normal or is he a full ram or is it just his natural instinct? Please help as he's a terrible sheep and the last thing I need is runts of lambs being born after him. Thank you. Should I take him away from the ewes?

Are you 100% sure he is a wether? Are you sure both balls were down when he was castated?
    If one ball was up - you could be in trouble... if twas me, i’d remove him ASAP, just in case...

Are you 100% sure he is a wether? Are you sure both balls were down when he was castated?
    If one ball was up - you could be in trouble... if twas me, i’d remove him ASAP, just in case...

He was squeezed twice, too make sure both were there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

She doesn't look 70

There’s no police here.. whatever happens between two consenting adults is fine. How old did you think she looked? ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭148multi

It's all in the head, maybe 😀

He was squeezed twice, too make sure both were there

Even after a vasectomy a ram is fertile for a few weeks. ie. you don't just castrate to day and put him out with ewes tomorrow

https://www.facebook.com/glany.gors/videos/716301868718834/UzpfSTEwMDAwNDI2OTE2MjM4MToxMDkyMjkxOTQ3NTg5NzY3/

My oldest dog used to be able to do this if I had a ewe to treat for mastitis etc, once I'd segregate her with her lambs, Misty would get her to the pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Sami23

How many weeks prior to introducing the Ram do people normally flush their ewe's on good grass ?

Also, would ye go with a fluke and word dose pre mating also ?
    TIA

Have a old ewe with a bloated looking belly. I dosed her but make no difference, any ideas ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

What ya dose her with?
    Veg oil?

Advertisement