Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

ganmo wrote: »
    What ya dose her with?
    Veg oil?
    Yellow drench, just Incase it was worms or fluke. But can try veg oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭clonagh

Have a old ewe with a bloated looking belly. I dosed her but make no difference, any ideas ?

Baking soda is supposed to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yellow drench, just Incase it was worms or fluke. But can try veg oil.

This is the time of year that you cull cases like that, if she's like that now she'll be in some mess at four mths inlamb.
    Some times pnuemonia gives them a swollen belly from inflamed lungs and fluid....did you take her temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

What sort of binoculars would people use for looking at sheep on a mointain. Thinking of getting a pair but have no idea how much i should spend to get a decent pair, (as little as possible). I see argos has some ranging in price from 20e up to 2 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

Anyone know where i could get toxovac at short notice...just been told its a two week wait and has to be done 4 weeks before ram goes out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

roosky wrote: »
    Anyone know where i could get toxovac at short notice...just been told its a two week wait and has to be done 4 weeks before ram goes out
    Had you many abortions last year? I had maybe 3% off ewes that scanned in lamb never bag down or lamb last year all are since sold would I be better vaccinating the whole flock and if so with what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

As far as i know the vets will only order it when you place the order with them, i ordered mine yesterday with vets and it will only be ordered by them next Wednesday and then a further week to arrive. The short shelf life would prohibit them from keeping any real amount in stock.

The only way you might get some i reckon is that if your vets have any sitting for a customer that doesn't intend putting out the ram until later in October. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Lambman wrote: »
    Had you many abortions last year? I had maybe 3% off ewes that scanned in lamb never bag down or lamb last year all are since sold would I be better vaccinating the whole flock and if so with what?

You'd be better off doing a blood test on that 3% to find what is causing the not holding the pregnancy and seeing if vaccination is cost effective from the findings.

There are a few causes of abortion and some might not be the cause abortions in your flock.

They never looked like they were in lamb so must off lost the lambs shortly after scanning... what would the name on that kinda abortion or absorbation be? I know most abortions happen only a few weeks off lambing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Is it not 3 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Is the sheep dispersal sale in Tullamore tomorrow just for the one owner or is it part of a general sheep sale. Have some hoggets for sale and just wondering could I bring them tomo or is it a closed sale?

wrangler wrote: »
    This is the time of year that you cull cases like that, if she's like that now she'll be in some mess at four mths inlamb.
    Some times pnuemonia gives them a swollen belly from inflamed lungs and fluid....did you take her temperature

Thanks wrangler, no temperature, no rattley lungs, no signs of ill health , nothing. Just old and has decided doesn’t want to stand up anymore. She’s like a ewe with twin lamb disease ( but ain’t springing or been near any ram) Just doesn’t want to stand up. I’m bringing her water and nuts and fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Thanks wrangler, no temperature, no rattley lungs, no signs of ill health , nothing. Just old and has decided doesn’t want to stand up anymore. She’s like a ewe with twin lamb disease ( but ain’t springing or been near any ram) Just doesn’t want to stand up. I’m bringing her water and nuts and fodder.

Not standing up isn’t a good sign. Is she eating and drinkin?

ganmo wrote: »
    Not standing up isn’t a good sign. Is she eating and drinkin?

Yep, I’m bring her meal / fodder and water. Her ears pick up for the meal. I’ll try molasses later, so we’ll just wait and see. Very hard to change a sheeps mind , once they make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Quick question if a blue Leicester ram tipped 14 ewes in August would he be able to tip 40-50 in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just moved some cattle off some ground I have and very little grass left on it. Would it be worth spreading some fertiliser on it now to have some cover for lambing? And what would you put on it?

arctictree wrote: »
    Just moved some cattle off some ground I have and very little grass left on it. Would it be worth spreading some fertiliser on it now to have some cover for lambing? And what would you put on it?

I’m putting 18 6 12 out on land atm. Seems a good compromise and might extend out the grazing. Hoping a bag of fert now is cheaper then a bag of meal Later in autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭arctictree

I’m putting 18 6 12 out on land atm. Seems a good compromise and might extend out the grazing. Hoping a bag of fert now is cheaper then a bag of meal Later in autumn.

Sounds good, what are you spreading to the acre?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

arctictree wrote: »
    Sounds good, what are you spreading to the acre?

Im spread ing a bag....i wouldnt close ground for lambing until october anyways

1 small bag to acre here as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

Quick question if a blue Leicester ram tipped 14 ewes in August would he be able to tip 40-50 in October.

should b no problem ,have him in good condition give him two cycles and mind him afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone know of anywhere that sells round feeders for horned sheep? Leinster area. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Went out to check on my 3 rams this afternoon and one of them (a Cheviot X) was on his back,kicking out his back legs and drooling with his tongue out. Put him back on his feet and he seemed fine as of 1 hour ago. No idea what caused it but not something you want to see at this time of year!!:confused:

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Went out to check on my 3 rams this afternoon and one of them (a Cheviot X) was on his back,kicking out his back legs and drooling with his tongue out. Put him back on his feet and he seemed fine as of 1 hour ago. No idea what caused it but not something you want to see at this time of year!!:confused:

Had one do something similar last week, but he died. Sent him off for p.m so will see what comes out of it. Any coughing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Had one do something similar last week, but he died. Sent him off for p.m so will see what comes out of it. Any coughing ?

Nothing untoward - but a strong flush of autumn grass in the past few weeks has many of the ewe lambs and this lad with scuttery rear ends too:(. Will be interesting to see the results of that PM, losing rams at this time of year is a particular kick in the liatroidi:(

What's the difference in true blue Leicesters and crossing blue Leicesters?

DJ98 wrote: »
    What's the difference in true blue Leicesters and crossing blue Leicesters?
    Alls I know is the crossing blue leicster has a darker head brown spots etc than the traditional blue leicster which is white with a blueish tint... supposed till produce a better mule out off horneys than the traditional blue faced leister.... as far as I know it was only selective breeding over the years that left them like that don't think any other breed was inter mixed... open till correction on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimbo789

Lambman wrote: »
    Alls I know is the crossing blue leicster has a darker head brown spots etc than the traditional blue leicster which is white with a blueish tint... supposed till produce a better mule out off horneys than the traditional blue faced leister.... as far as I know it was only selective breeding over the years that left them like that don't think any other breed was inter mixed... open till correction on that though.

Better mule out of horned ewes in what way? Fancier faces?

Yea darker faces that's what seems till sell them.

• Advertisement

Anyone know any Hampshire down breeders in leinster or Waterford area?

Advertisement