Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malahide -Pros & Cons

Options
  • 29-12-2016 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Moving to Dublin in the new year & looking at Malahide as an option

It looks to be easily accessible by Dart to Connolly & seems a nice village

Any advice pros/cons appreciated

SponsorGate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭easygoing39

It does well in the tidy towns!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Getting parking in the dart station can he a problem it fills up very early

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Pros
    Nice area
    Good amenities

Cons
    Parts of kinsealy and swords call then self's malahide.
    Expensive houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mactheknife19

Pros
    Good restaurants
    Good pubs
    Beach
    Parks
    Transport links quite good
    Good sports / social clubs. Pretty much everything catered for with good facilities
    Good community spirit

Cons
    Expensive to buy and rent
    Schools are at capacity with people from nearby towns sending kids there
    Traffic Very busy when the sun comes out!!
    Parking
    Gyms are expensive and only one has a pool

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Live with the folks in Malahide, which is the only way I could possible afford to live here! Renting or even buying is pricey. Ref. the gym I go just up the road in Airside and very good value.

Lovely town though, good shops, pubs, you name it. Safe, quiet, good access to DART. True about the car park - €2 a day and that's if you can get a space - versus a 5 minute bus trip.

Traffic drives me mad though. Getting back here from Swords involves cutting along the Estuary to avoid about a 10-15 minute tailback on the Swords road, all the way from the M1 bridge every evening. Road is slated for upgrade but I wouldn't be holding your breath.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The town is quite spread out now - consider how far you'd be willing to walk to the DART. There are parts of Malahide that are 30 plus minutes walk to the village.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    The town is quite spread out now - consider how far you'd be willing to walk to the DART. There are parts of Malahide that are 30 plus minutes walk to the village.

As I said above. Them parts are more swords and kinsealy than malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There aren't too many cons other than the cost of houses there. It's a lovely town, has all the amenities you'd need either in the town or very close by, DART line to the city, bus to the city, etc. If you can afford a house there then it's a great place to live.

Not necessarily. Seabury is very much Malahide but it's over 2km to the train station/diamond. Biscayne is probably not much closer.

Yep, Seabury/Biscayne were exactly what I was thinking of.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Yep, Seabury/Biscayne were exactly what I was thinking of.

It's not too bad. 5 minutes in the car or on the bus every 30 mins or a 20 minute brisk walk.

Just pick your times if you're driving or you'll have a great view of the brake lights in front. Although from here to the village it's only really bad for 30min in the morning and the rest is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

If I was moving back to Dublin, it would be to Malahide!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Pros
    No big supermarket
    Most shops are boutique type ones
    No pound shops😉😉

Cons
    No big supermarkets
    Most shops are boutique type ones
    No pound shops😉😉😉.

Hope it stays this way😊

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Waterside was originally Swords but the houses were sold off the plans as being Malahide addresses. I think residents campaigned to get the development redisignated and it's now technically Malahide despite being a fair distance on the Swords side of Malahide boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

greenflash wrote: »
    Waterside was originally Swords but the houses were sold off the plans as being Malahide addresses. I think residents campaigned to get the development redisignated and it's now technically Malahide despite being a fair distance on the Swords side of Malahide boundary.
    We work the field behind waterside and call it Malahide. It's more Kinsealy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Pros
    Nice area
    Good amenities

Cons
    Expensive houses.

uh?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Pros
    Good restaurants
    Good pubs
    Beach
    Parks
    Transport links quite good
    Good sports / social clubs. Pretty much everything catered for with good facilities
    Good community spirit

Cons
    Expensive to buy and rent
    Schools are at capacity with people from nearby towns sending kids there
    Traffic Very busy when the sun comes out!!
    Parking
    Gyms are expensive and only one has a pool

A good summary , the area is probably more suited to retirees

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I live in Swords and go to Malahide quite a lot to walk on the beach. The only shop I go to Malahide for is Donnybrook Fair because while it has a lot of expensive boutiques etc it doesn't compare to Swords for shopping. We considered moving at one stage but decided we preferred to drive a distance to the beach, but have everything else on our doorstep rather than the other way round.

Eircode sent out our eircode with an associated address of Kinsealy, Malahide.

Upwardly mobile state agency?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mactheknife19

I live in Swords and go to Malahide quite a lot to walk on the beach. The only shop I go to Malahide for is Donnybrook Fair because while it has a lot of expensive boutiques etc it doesn't compare to Swords for shopping. We considered moving at one stage but decided we preferred to drive a distance to the beach, but have everything else on our doorstep rather than the other way round.
    I suppose it depends on your definition of on your doorstep. Living in Malahide I'd still regard the Pavillions or Airside as on my door step. Whether I was in Malahide or Swords I'd still be only going to a shopping centre once a fortnight at the most for a big shop and clothes in any of the chain stores , so I'd be driving anyway to bring the bags home. Both are only a 5 minute spin. I'm glad they are finally starting to get their act together on the Main Street with the improvements to the castle. FCC had no problem building themselves a nice office while the rest of the town was neglected badly. Hopefully they continue to invest in the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Pros
    Nice area
    Good amenities

Cons
    Expensive houses.

Con = full of snobby people see above for an example

• Advertisement

derra_121 wrote: »
    Con = full of snobby people see above for an example

Some neck you have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I suppose it depends on your definition of on your doorstep. Living in Malahide I'd still regard the Pavillions or Airside as on my door step. Whether I was in Malahide or Swords I'd still be only going to a shopping centre once a fortnight at the most for a big shop and clothes in any of the chain stores , so I'd be driving anyway to bring the bags home. Both are only a 5 minute spin. I'm glad they are finally starting to get their act together on the Main Street with the improvements to the castle. FCC had no problem building themselves a nice office while the rest of the town was neglected badly. Hopefully they continue to invest in the street.

One way or another, the North County has it all :)

Mod note: @ derra_121 and Hollister11, let's stay on topic please and stop the personal attacks.

Mod note: @ derra_121 and Hollister11, let's stay on topic please and stop the personal attacks.

I wasn't attacking him. I was called a snob, for stating a fact.

I wasn't attacking him. I was called a snob, for stating a fact.

Yeah but your comment was textbook snobbery... Why else would you care what address people use?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Put the handbags away lads. Thanks.

tHB

subpar wrote: »
    A good summary , the area is probably more suited to retirees

Sorry what are you talking about, do you know the area at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Sorry what are you talking about, do you know the area at all?

I am a life long northside Dubliner and know the area exceptionally well , just look at the age profile of people in Malahide Village and the age profile of people in the the local Golf / Tennis / Sailing / Bridge Clubs.

subpar wrote: »
    I am a life long northside Dubliner and know the area exceptionally well , just look at the age profile of people in Malahide Village and the age profile of people in the the local Golf / Tennis / Sailing / Bridge Clubs.

You're categorically wrong. But you're free to think whatever you like I guess.

• Advertisement

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone under 50 in a bridge club.

Malahide has plenty of young people.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement