Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

permission needed

Options
  • 29-12-2016 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Im a small game hunter and im getting into deer hunting in 2017 but I need 100 acres for the licence I have 20-30 acres so far . is there anyone out there with land or that has leased land that would give me a letter for 100acres or around that so I can licence a firearm I have put a deposit on. any land would be of help also . thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

I'm in the same boat at the moment Brian, Currently short 80 acres myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

go door knocking lads its the only way,, nobody is going to just hand you what ye are looking for.. have ye done the hcap
    how do ye have 20/30 acres of land thats like a big field has the farmer no other land?

daithi55 wrote:
    go door knocking lads its the only way,, nobody is going to just hand you what ye are looking for.. have ye done the hcap how do ye have 20/30 acres of land thats like a big field has the farmer no other land?

I have permission off a farmer with 20 acres bordering a forest and deer often graze on his land, still not enough for a licence but.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lads you do know there is no minimum acreage for deer in the Wildlife Act or any subsequent amendment acts after? So legally there is no need for 100 acres.

If you were refused you could fight it on a legal basis and would most likely win, but instead of the 100 acre "limit" they could cite not enough deer, too many on the permission, does not support even a single shooter, etc. IOW while it's not legal to refuse you simply on the basis of not having 100 acres there are other ways to refuse you that would be legitimate.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote:
    Lads you do know there is no minimum acreage for deer in the Wildlife Act or any subsequent amendment acts after? So legally there is no need for 100 acres.

Cass, the permission I have 20 acres on is rife with deer as it borders a forest, no other shooters on the land, but I think I'll keep on track for the 100 acres as I don't want to spend 3 months to get refused and then another 3 fighting my refusal, then another 3 getting my license, you know how spiteful the law can be when you challenge them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

As a matter of interest, when you shoot a deer, who gets the meat?

Advbrd wrote:
    As a matter of interest, when you shoot a deer, who gets the meat?

Personally I would only take 1 or 2 deer per year for meat for our family who are all mostly outdoors people, other guys sell the meat to game meat dealers but that's all whole other can of worms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

I have eaten venison a few times, damn tasty. I presume it is farmed. Is there much of a difference between wild and farmed meat?

Advbrd wrote:
    I have eaten venison a few times, damn tasty. I presume it is farmed. Is there much of a difference between wild and farmed meat?

I'm not an experienced deer hunter, a few lads here are, but yes, wild meat would be tougher due to the muscles they would be using vs farmed animals in general. Maybe Cass can answer your question more accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I'm not an experienced deer hunter, a few lads here are, but yes, wild meat would be tougher due to the muscles they would be using vs farmed animals in general. Maybe Cass can answer your question more accurately.

The answer to tough meat is to let your animal hang.
    I hang all my deer for 2 week before butchering that way the meat goes through a process and relaxes the meat:p

• Advertisement

Must get some tips off you when I get my 1st

Must get some tips off you when I get my 1st
    to late to be looking for tips once the deer is dead.. the easy part is pulling the trigger.. you then have to gut it,, drag it out put it in the car/jeep.. hang it in a fridge have the proper gear to butcher it and a million other things,, if i was you id go out with someone and see how its done from start to finish.. they are a big animal and produce a lot of meat.. you will need a big freezer to hold one when butchered.. not sure of your situation but if your living in the city ie an apartment small town house etc it will be hard butcher a deer in it.. also the skin bones etc will need to be disposed of correctly,, firing it in the communal bins will get you in right trouble

Don't even have the rifle yet so it won't be until next season, plenty of learning time, Have a 25x25 ft shed so that will be no problem, live on the border of South Dublin and Wicklow

Don't even have the rifle yet so it won't be until next season, plenty of learning time, Have a 25x25 ft shed so that will be no problem, live on the border of South Dublin and Wicklow

not long left in the season to see it been done.. best of luck with it all

Advertisement