Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious cracks in Giant P-X3 700 x 38c tyres?

Options
  • 29-12-2016 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I just noticed serious cracks in both front and rear tyres on my Giant Hybrid. The tyres are Giant P-X3 700 x 38c tyres, which are the original factory fitted tyres. Thread wise, there is still alot of life remaining in the tyres. Somewhat baffled by this as the tyres were always inflated to approx. 85% of max. inflation level, bike stored inside etc. etc.

Anyone else experience this type of issue or is it due to poor quality materials in the Giant tyres?

In any event, I need to order a new set - any recommendations? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Age is a factor. How old are your tyres?

For replacements, try Vittoria Voyager Hyper folding tyres. A fast rolling tyre and only €18 from PlanetX.

I use them for commuting as well as for (very) long distance and am well happy with them. Mine are 700 x 35c (listed on the box as 37x622) and they also come in 700 x 38c.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

cdaly_ wrote: »

For replacements, try Vittoria Voyager Hyper folding tyres. A fast rolling tyre and only €18 from PlanetX.

I use them for commuting as well as for (very) long distance and am well happy with them. Mine are 700 x 35c (listed on the box as 37x622) and they also come in 700 x 38c.

The tyres are approximately 4 years old. Not a serious amount of mileage as 90% of my cycling is done by road bike. Hybrid is used for more leisurely road cycles and on roads not suitable for a road bike. Thanks for the recommendation re. tyres, will have a look at these.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Maidhci wrote: »
    The tyres are approximately 4 years old. Not a serious amount of mileage as 90% of my cycling is done by road bike...
    Under-used tyres are more likely to develop cracks in my experience.

Under-used tyres are more likely to develop cracks in my experience.

Thanks for that WA - I wouldn't have thought that they have been under-used as such, but perhaps just an opinion to justify having it!. Annual mileage on hybrid is approx. 1000km, but under-used if one is comparing to road bike use. I had thought that poor quality materials might have been a consideration - sometimes factory fitted components on some bikes are not the best.

cdaly_ wrote: »

The Planet X price at the moment is €17.00 for 35mm version - excellent price compared with other online sites!

How do you find these for wet surface cycling?

• Advertisement
Advertisement