Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canine Ireland

• 29-12-2016 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi I would like some advice on the following issue.
    My elderly mother has recieved by post a 'Registration Certificate' from Canine Ireland for a Golden retriever dog.She knows nothing about this dog and never requested / spoke to anyone about such a thing.
    I have rang both numbers for Canine Ireland on the certificate but the mobile is not connected and the landline number just rings out.
    The address given for the Breeders name does not exist on google maps to the best of my knowledge.The whole thing just seems suspicious to me.
    I have no knowledge of the process of registering dogs etc.
    Can someone tell me how or why this has happened ?? or any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just dump it in the bin. Canine ireland is a registry that was set up by a small group of puppy farmers to provide a registry for puppy farmed dogs. The cert is not worth the paper it's printed on and has no purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I think the OP is wondering why his Mother was singled out.

There could be a number of reasons but I think the most likely is that someone is seeking to legitimise the records of a particuar dog in order to provide some kind of provenance/history. This can be used to bulk out a dogs history when selling offspring, or the dog itself or maybe for taxation purposes.

Very often the individuals who do this basically pick addresses at complete random from telephone directories, electoral rolls or even Google street view. In Ireland it would be very rare for anyone to follow up on the history provided and the ars3holes who do this know that.

In this modern tech age it is inevitable that random events like this occur. Mine involved an apparent debt to American Express of £13,000. Never had one of their cards and it was a pain to sort it out.

Just give your Mother the 'chat' about strangers calling either on the phone or at the door.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 3 boconn02

Hi folks, Thanks for your replies.
    I know it is worth nothing and had an idea that what you say TopTec is what actually happened.
    The question really is
    1.Can I follow up this with anyone or can anything fall back on my mother in the future ?
    2 How do I prevent it from happening again ?

Is there a govering body for dog registration in Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is there a microchip number on the form? If you so you could go to a local vet and have them check the address the chip is registered to. If it was me I'd want to know if somebody was using my address.. If there's no chip number and a breeder's name/address I'd report them for selling pups that aren't registered i.e. puppy farming.

Difficult to see where you could go with this. Your Mother, as far as you know, is the not the victim of a crime but an intrusion into her privacy. So nothing the Guarda can do.

The Irish kennel Club deal with dog registrations, but are geared towards proper breeders and shows not puppy farms.

If by any chance there is a microchip number on the paperwork your Mother got you could try to chase the company that the chip is registered with but this is unlikely to lead to the culprits but a slim possibility you might get an address that again is being used without the owners knowledge.

If all the stars align, and you are on a lucky streak you might establish who originally registered the animal... but what would you do then?

As far as prevention goes, apart from the usual care when providing personal details to anyone, especially on the web, there is not much you can do.

Remember even Charities make money from selling your personal details on to other companies and individuals so never reveal them unless you are certain as to the intentions of the person that wants them. That's the beauty of anonymous donations.

Whilst you are at it improve the home security at your Mothers. Door chains, window locks and all that, cameras if you feel it necessary. Never hurts to be prepared.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

boconn02 wrote: »
    Hi folks, Thanks for your replies.
    I know it is worth nothing and had an idea that what you say TopTec is what actually happened.
    The question really is
    1.Can I follow up this with anyone or can anything fall back on my mother in the future ?
    2 How do I prevent it from happening again ?

Is there a govering body for dog registration in Ireland ?

Registration in what way? The Irish Kennel Club would see themselves as the governing body, but as DBB explained, Canine Ireland was set up by a group of breeders that would then claim that they are the governing body. There is nothing in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 boconn02

I am beginning to get the 'picture' here that there is not much I can do.
    I cannot find any information on the name of the breeder and the address is a house 'For Sale' on daft.ie !
    I will follow up on the microchip number and see what comes of it.
    Thanks for the info again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The reason why I was curious about the microchip number is that you need proof of address now if you go and get a dog chipped? But I'm not sure how it works with breeders and especially puppy farmers using Canine Ireland(!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

boconn02 wrote: »
    I am beginning to get the 'picture' here that there is not much I can do.
    I cannot find any information on the name of the breeder and the address is a house 'For Sale' on daft.ie !
    I will follow up on the microchip number and see what comes of it.
    Thanks for the info again

Good luck with that, CI microchips were never registered on any proper data base, and if anyone contacted them for details, i.e., if a dog ended up in a pound, they would refuse to give them out. The law has now changed, so all chip details have to be held on approved databases, but not sure if they are complying.

Let me tell you you how accurate and secure the Microchip details are. About 4 years ago I had one of my girls chipped for a pet passport. When I got the papers back from the company in Dublin the dog details were wrong.

I mailed them and in response was sent their administrators log in details for their database to correct the mistakes!! In one of the files were the details of every dog they had recorded for that month. I could easily of change the details if I wished.

TT

• Advertisement
Advertisement