Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malahide/Howth....

Options
  • 29-12-2016 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

A foreign friend of mine is flying in to Dublin in 3 weeks on a Thursday night...We are staying in Dublin until 2 the next day...

I was thinking of staying in Malahide for the Thursday night and going to Howth for Friday (maybe visit the national museum of transport).....Just thinking of a few drinks in Malahide and walk around on the Thursday night - what do people think??? Anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel in central Malahide??

I live in Dublin for years but never got out to either spot....Is there a castle worth visiting in Howth?

Any suggestions on what I should do is welcome??? I gotta be leaving Dublin at 2:30 by the latest on the Friday.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think Malahide Castle would be worth visiting but would be tight to squeeze it in and Howth on the friday morning...

Not aware of many hotels in Malahide proper apart from the Grand Hotel... I suspect that may not be reasonably priced, have only attended it for functions.

Restaurant wise in Malahide if you like seafood there's Nautilus or Seabank Bistro, 'irish tapas' in the Greedy Goose, Bon Appetit for something different and a few pubs on Main Street eg Gibneys.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,629 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think the Grand Hotel is the only hotel in Malahide, there may be some B&B's if you search online. There's no hotels in Howth but an option might be Marine Hotel in Sutton, this is the next town from Howth and it's about a 5 minute walk to Sutton DART station where you can get the train to Howth or get one to Malahide by getting DART to Howth Junction and switching for Malahide bound train.

Howth Castle is perhaps worth a look but is not open to the public, you will just be able to look at the external walls.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think Malahide Castle would be worth visiting but would be tight to squeeze it in and Howth...

The tour in malahide castle is expensive and dreadful quality imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

The island view hotel is around the corner from the grand hotel but it's pretty basic. Good food though in the bar and restaurant. Lots of pubs and places to eat in the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Stheno wrote: »
    The tour in malahide castle is expensive and dreadful quality imo.

Yeah I was thinking of it more if the person visiting really really wants to do a castle tour... The tour was so-so but got to visit the gardens also.

If you just want pictures in front of the castle then skip the tour and just walk around the lovely (free) grounds.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking of it more if the person visiting really really wants to do a castle tour... The tour was so-so but got to visit the gardens also.

If you just want pictures in front of the castle then skip the tour and just walk around the lovely (free) grounds.

Thats true enough they could do that on day one and go to howth on day two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Thanks folks....

I am bit confused though - I was of the belief that Malahide had lots of bars/restaurants on the Main Street - how is there only 1 hotel?????!!

Essentially I just want to check into hotel and be able to walk to bars.....Maybe I am picking the wrong area??

No hotels in Howth either??!

Thanks folks....

I am bit confused though - I was of the belief that Malahide had lots of bars/restaurants on the Main Street - how is there only 1 hotel?????!!

Essentially I just want to check into hotel and be able to walk to bars.....Maybe I am picking the wrong area??

Yeah load of pubs and restaurants in both not a huge amount of hotels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Thanks folks....

Malahide is a village, it doesn't need more than one hotel! There are tonnes of bars and restaurants so you were right there. Howth had two hotels but both closed over the last few years. Lots of b and bs in both though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thanks folks....

It does have lots of bars and restaurants. And it does have indeed one hotel in the village itself. It's not exactly a large town so not sure why you were expecting a proliferation of hotels. Especially given it's proximity to Dublin city centre.

There is another hotel along the coast road towards Portmarnock but I can't remember the name exactly.

The links hotel is in Portmarnock and as someone else mentioned you have the marine hotel in Sutton.

• Advertisement

Malahide is a village, it doesn't need more than one hotel! There are tonnes of bars and restaurants so you were right there. Howth had two hotels but both closed over the last few years. Lots of b and bs in both though.

OK so am I on the right track in terms of a few handy beers in Malahide on the Thursday night and Howth Friday morning?

Malahide - nice to walk around I believe? Just a light walk on Thursday night?

Can't believe I spent 5 years in Dublin and never got up to either spot - typical Cork lad - never left Dublin 4 or 6 :)

lawred2 wrote: »
    It does have lots of bars and restaurants. And it does have indeed one hotel in the village itself. It's not exactly a large town so not sure why you were expecting a proliferation of hotels. Especially given it's proximity to Dublin city centre.

There is another hotel along the coast road towards Portmarnock but I can't remember the name exactly.

The links hotel is in Portmarnock and as someone else mentioned you have the bayside or bayview hotel in Sutton.

You're thinking of the sands hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You're thinking of the sands hotel

That's the one.

Tamangos where the gang goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I'd recommend Howth over Malahide as I reckon it has more to see and do. The views are also way better. Note I am completely biased for hometown reasons.

Improved transport links over the last few decades have reduced the demand for suburban hotels especially in Howth. There are a good few B&Bs in Howth as another option.

The castle in Howth has some tours but usually for groups by appointment: http://howthcastle.com/visiting-howth-castle/

The Transport Museum at the north side of the Castle is run by volunteers who do great work despite poor funding, and it it is housed in a converted cattle shed and very tight for space: http://www.nationaltransportmuseum.org/

There's a radio museum in the Martello Tower in Howth with a ~45 min tour; https://hurdygurdyradiomuseum.wordpress.com/ Howth has rich telegraphy history.

There's good bit more walking available in Howth with the Harbour (1+hour), Cliff Walk (~3 hours), beaches and the Interior/Howth Castle grounds with an ancient collapsed dolmen which could be as old as the Pyramids: https://www.google.ie/search?q=aideens+grave

tricky D wrote: »
    I'd recommend Howth over Malahide as I reckon it has more to see and do. Note I am completely biased for hometown reasons.

Improved transport links over the last few decades have reduced the demand for suburban hotels especially in Howth. There are a good few B&Bs in Howth as another option.

The castle in Howth has some tours but usually for groups by appointment: http://howthcastle.com/visiting-howth-castle/

The Transport Museum at the north side of the Castle is run by volunteers who do great work despite poor funding, and it it is housed in a converted cattle shed and very tight for space: http://www.nationaltransportmuseum.org/

There's a radio museum in the Martello Tower in Howth with a ~45 min tour; https://hurdygurdyradiomuseum.wordpress.com/ Howth has rich telegraphy history.

There's good bit more walking available in Howth with the Harbour (1+hour), Cliff Walk (~3 hours), beaches and the Interior/Howth Castle grounds with an ancient collapsed dolmen which could be as old as the Pyramids: https://www.google.ie/search?q=aideens+grave

Sounds good - plan to be there on the Friday - I think the above are mire day time activities whereas I believe Malahide will be good for the Thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Sounds good - plan to be there on the Friday - I think the above are mire day time activities whereas I believe Malahide will be good for the Thursday night.

I'd say go to Howth whichever day the better is forecasted to be better. Doing the cliff walk etc. is spectacular on even a half-good day.

The Island View (part of Oscar Traynors) is on the edge of Malahide on the coast road: http://www.islandviewhotel.ie/islv/ - it's a bit of a walk there from the pubs around Main Street though.

Other recommendations I'd have for Malahide are Kajjal (Pakistanian) and Donnybrook Fair for fancy supermarket supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Another hotel option : Marine Hotel, Sutton Cross

http://marinehotel.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Malahide has a great village, vibrant and full of good bars, restaurants and cafes. The marina is nice too. Don't bother paying for anything in Malahide Castle, its dreadful value but the walks in the grounds are free and there are some lovely trails (and free parking).

If you're looking for scenery then a walk on Portmarnock beach (The Valet Strand) is a must, its a beautiful walk and great scenery.

But Howth is fantastic, I love it. I love The Bloody Stream pub, but you're spoilt for choice in Howth.. The cliffs are beautiful and there are trails for all types of fitness. Go to the summit car park and look out over Dublin bay, in fact on a clear day you can see down as far as Arklow.

Another idea (if you like walking) is to walk up to the very summit of Howth (Ben Head) where you have a clear 360 degree view of Dublin both north and south of Howth Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Thanks folks....

It's a relatively small town in close proximity to Dublin city, connected by the DART/commuter train line. The question is why would it have more than one hotel?

And the Grand Hotel is very close to the bars in Malahide village, it's easily walkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Howth has retained its natural beauty and combined it with modern and vibrant restaurants and bars. In addition it has a working fishing port which is of huge interest to visitors.

• Advertisement

It's a relatively small town in close proximity to Dublin city, connected by the DART/commuter train line. The question is why would it have more than one hotel?

And the Grand Hotel is very close to the bars in Malahide village, it's easily walkable.

Fair enough - a few have suggested that...As I say I've never been there but I just had a picture of something much bigger from the way people described it to me...

What about staying in Portmarnock Golf Hotel? I'd say the view is incredible and seems like you in between Malahide and Howth. Looking at that or either The Strand Hotel.

What about staying in Portmarnock Golf Hotel? I'd say the view is incredible and seems like you in between Malahide and Howth. Looking at that or either The Strand Hotel.

Its at least a half hour walk to malahide

Anyone recommend any nice bars for the Thursday night? Somewhere to grab would be good also!

Thanks

Anyone recommend any nice bars for the Thursday night? Somewhere to grab would be good also!

Thanks

Grab what? :pac:

Grab what? :pac:

Food!

Food!

Fowlers and Duffys are nice, Fowlers stop food at eight though

I finally found a region a in Dublin I like - felt like I wasn't in Dublin I liked it so much :) Calm, beautiful and traffic wasn't too bad - thumbs up for Malahide and Howth

Advertisement