Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call your 2017 goal by Jan 1st

Options
  • 29-12-2016 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

What's your biggest target for the New year? People are interesting when they are hungover/vulnerable, 'tis the season to be merry so there is a close on posting goals at midnight Jan 1st. The tipsy, the reeling, and the drop-down-p*ssed are also encouraged to air their dreams ;)

Mine is a good placing at the ITU AG Sprint Champs in September. I can't specify what a good placing will be as I don't know the competition, but I've a fair idea of what times will be required. 750 swim needs a 1:30/100 pace, 20k bike needs to target 40kph, and a low 18 5k run. Four weekly swims Jan-April with the gang I swim with should make this pace comfortable. Bike is mainly turbo, with a lot of intensity as a focus. Run will require weight loss, and will be the biggest challenge, but training for an April marathon should help that goal along.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good Man Kurt - I am hoping to have a good crack at a PB at a middle distance in June/July, my current is a 5.3x from a few years back but I think I could do better now

There is then a loose plan then to try and actually keep training this year and go for an autumn marathon, my current PB there is 3.49 from 2012 but again I reckon I can go much lower if the training goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

To get back into Tri training after a 6 month sabbatical

Then - a sub 2:30 at HOTW

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

Feeling vulnerable after last nights excess and last 6 months inactivity, so will take inspiration (copy) from above and go for 2:30 HOTW (this will be very stretching and require weight loss), middle distance pb (5:1X) - if I have hit previous goal this should be easy and late autumn marathon (probably Dublin 3:40-3:45).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Stay healthy and see some consistency.

2012 since I've had a decent run of training and good health. Only did one race this year as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Become an A1....cyclist, am i barred?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

To learn to swim...so I can do a triathlon

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

May be ambitious but aim high and all that..

Top 3 AG duathlon NS
    Barca IM 9.30-9.35

Also race at a proper race weight (not what mammy thinks that is :-) and maybe actually swim instead of talking about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Sub 5:30 400TT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Sub 3 in rotterdam on April 9th and "do" Barcelona in October - goal time TBD but ideally in the region of 1.10 swim, 6.00 bike and 3.30 marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

EC1000 beat me to it

2:55 in Rotterdam in April
    Time to stop p!ssing about and hoping it'll happen
    Everything else is taking second place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Just to add to the chain above me. Sub 3 in Rotterdam! Didn't know it was so popular

Then use my new found running to nail a half ironman (prob dublin).

Was doing ironman nice and the new dates don't suit as I had already booked and paid for two week holiday so only going half long in 2017 and decided then to try and improve the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭9Crimes

Finish my first ironman in sub 11 hrs (conditions dependent).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

get real life back to a point that i can make a goal. getting there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

May be ambitious but aim high and all that..

Top 3 AG duathlon NS
    Barca IM 9.30-9.35

Also race at a proper race weight (not what mammy thinks that is :-) and maybe actually swim instead of talking about it..

fair play. ambitious sure but achievable too based on last season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Top 3 in my age group in either the national Sprint or Olympic distance champs, probably a better shot at the Olympic distance but will give both a go. Plenty of mini goals to hit along the way to see if these will be possible but they are the main ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Just try and get back into the sport and complete any tri. Havent done one since mid 2015.
    Will try run a marathon as well and aim for sub 4 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Exercise without pain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

make tango swim again ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    make tango swim again ;-)

By leading out 1/10 of the set with buoyancy shorts and paddles? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Feck ya, Kurt. Making me reveal my hand this early.

Rotterdam Marathon; sub 2:35
    Ironman Hawaii: sub 9:10

For the first one, I need to get back to the shape I was in for Connemarathon 2014. Then on a flat and much faster course, I'm hoping things just nicely fall into place.

The second target is much more ambitious. I know lots of people fall apart in the heat and humidity that come with the race. But I'm not going to Kona for a holiday and it's what I'm thinking, so I may as well say it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Sbefort

I'm new here, some of the goals I read are pretty amazing, hope you all can achieve them!
    For me, first will be improve my swim to be able to swim 1:40/100m for 1900m (considering I can barely swim 2:00/100m now).
    Second is a top 70 at the Dublin half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Not tri related but hey,

Assist with my kids football/athletics activities
    Back to college
    Take one step closer towards a big business goal of mine
    Do enough physical activity not to become fat (again)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

1. The RACE - embrace the 24 hours of solitude & finish it regardless of the conditions
    2. Get back on the horse and in a kayak - will need to be achieved to nail no. 1
    3. Swimming lessons again - conquer my fear of the water AGAIN
    4. Connemarathon - have a good crack at it
    5. Autumn marathon - sub 3:45

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TurboTerror

The goals I have for 2017 would be to do a decent time for the ETU AG Standard distance in Austria in June and to complete Dublin 70.3 in August.

Was considering some Standard distances along the way but they are few and far between this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Sub 5 Lisbon
    Sub 2.20 C.K.
    Sub 38 min 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 28 flash84962

Goals for me this year is to complete city2summit in Scotland in July.

Sub 3 hours in the Dublin marathon

Followed by sub 3 hrs in sea2summit, which is 2 weeks after the marathon. Including getting up and down croagh patrick in under an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Just hit one of my targets for 2016 today so hopefully doesn't take me as long on 2017

Going to try and get my first half marathon under my belt I think and would hope to realisticly target sub 2 hours

Sub 50 10km

Sub 2:45 Olympic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Neady83 wrote: »
    1. The RACE - embrace the 24 hours of solitude & finish it regardless of the conditions

Best of luck with it. It's an amazing area to race in, I'll most likely be up at it again but on the opposite side

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Just try and get back into the sport and complete any tri. Havent done one since mid 2015.
    Will try run a marathon as well and aim for sub 4 hours

My goals are the exact same;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Too late, but...

1) Sub 4 first marathon in Manchester (body is already breaking down though!)
    2) Complete National Series with a better score than last year, if I can get into enough races with the reduced national series.
    3) First Half, The Lost Sheep (see point 2 about getting in!)

Advertisement