Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call your 2017 goal by Jan 1st

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

still jan 1st

1. swim the metalman series, have developed a fear of sea swimming, need to make a move to fix that ,
    2. run a marathon in june july sub 3.50
    3. run a half in 1.35 or less
    4. sub 35 for 20k cycling
    5. humbert half iron, if its on again , or some other half iron in ireland in august

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

2017 goal - Sort sh!t out

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

peter kern wrote: »
    make tango swim again ;-)

I'll be down Friday. The Friday swim will be my recovery session for the marathon training!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

My goals are the exact same;)

Me 3!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Bambaata wrote: »
    Best of luck with it. It's an amazing area to race in, I'll most likely be up at it again but on the opposite side

Thank you Bambaata, any tips or tricks, they'd be very much appreciated. I've started looking at the course profile to estimate times - figure out gear, logistics and food .... there's a hell of a lot of pointy bits in the run and bike profiles :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Too late but sure it's still legit if I'm calling it in Jan for rest of the year? ;)

Picked up running, cycling and swimming last June. Did two sprints last year in Aug and Sep. Starting to try take it a little more seriously this year. But not too much. Goals for the year:

Run a sub 50 10k
    Complete first Oly tri (sub 3)
    Sub 1:25 sprint
    sub 2:00/100 in open water (sprint or Oly distance)
    Bike average speed >32 kmh (sprint or Oly)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

phil wrote: »
    Too late but sure it's still legit if I'm calling it in Jan for rest of the year? ;)

Picked up running, cycling and swimming last June. Did two sprints last year in Aug and Sep. Starting to try take it a little more seriously this year. But not too much. Goals for the year:

Run a sub 50 10k
    Complete first Oly tri (sub 3)
    Sub 1:25 sprint
    sub 2:00/100 in open water (sprint or Oly distance)
    Bike average speed >32 kmh (sprint or Oly)

that makes a 29 swim
    a 1.16 bike
    so you should be quicker lol
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

A bit late for this party I guess but I aim to make the standard for cat 1.
    Never followed any real training regime before so will start a run plan and a bike plan and hope for the best.

After last nights encouragement go sub 5,45 for 400 too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

People still posting and I'm already reassessing due to injury and illness... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

zico10 wrote: »
    Rotterdam Marathon; sub 2:35
    Ironman Hawaii: sub 9:10

I failed with the first goal, missing the target by 7 minutes 49 seconds, but I'd like to think they were some legitimate reasons as to why I failed. Unfortunately, the heat is one thing I didn't deal well with. This doesn't bode well for Kona, where I think I'll have to run a sub 3:10 marathon to be in with a realistic chance of hitting my overall goal time of sub 9:10.

Still, I hope my lead in to Hawaii will be much less interrupted. Also heat acclimisation will be a part of my preparation. This wasn't the case for Rotterdam, where I was expecting it to be be like any typical spring day in Ireland. It endeded up being an unseasonally warm day. But there were twos guys, from the AR forum, running who were faster than me and both ran negative or near negative splits. The weather didn't seem to be much of an issue for them and I don't see how their acclimisation could have been any different to mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Sub 5 Lisbon
    Sub 2.20 C.K.
    Sub 38 min 10k

1-0. Challenge Lisbon 4hrs47mins. Went as well as could be expected, left a minute or so in the swim but the bike went better than expected and the run I executed exactly as I trained for, 7.30 per mile all the way, ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Do you think that 2:20 at CK is looking a bit soft now?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Do you think that 2:20 at CK is looking a bit soft now?

Maybe, 2.19 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 flash84962

Hi all.

Thought at about the half way point of the year it might be an idea to see how people are getting on with their goals!!

I completed City2summit in Scotland at the week. It involved a 24k road run out of Edinburgh castle, 186k cycle across Scotland (into a constant headwind) and a 41k trail run including going up and down Ben Nevis.

It took me 18.5 hours. Of the 136 starters, 67 finished. Planning now on sticking to 5ks!

Edinburgh was generally buzzing with IM 70.3 on as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

With an Olympic, Sprint and 10k this month we will see how far off the target I am at the moment.

Took a step towards my goals by singing up for Dublin Half Marathon. At the very least it should force me to keep consistent with my training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Neady83 wrote: »
    1. The RACE - embrace the 24 hours of solitude & finish it regardless of the conditions
    2. Get back on the horse and in a kayak - will need to be achieved to nail no. 1
    3. Swimming lessons again - conquer my fear of the water AGAIN
    4. Connemarathon - have a good crack at it
    5. Autumn marathon - sub 3:45

1. Done
    2. Done
    3. I'm planning to get back into the pool during the Winter
    4. Done, PB at marathon distance but only a small PB
    5. Hopefully at DCM which I've signed up for

3 out of 5 ain't bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

2:55 in Rotterdam in April
    Time to stop p!ssing about and hoping it'll happen
    Everything else is taking second place

I was bang on in two of these targets.
    1 - I took the training very seriously and really was going like a fecking train
    2 - Everything else did take second place
    3 - I was sick for the race, tried my best but ultimately had a shocker

But, with no other plans in 2017 other than IM70.3 Dublin, I've had time to improve my swimming (I'm less slow) and I won a power meter so cycling has vastly improved. I'll be happy with an improvement on last year.
    Will be doing the DCM in October but am not making any grand pronouncements

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Too late, but...

1) Sub 4 first marathon in Manchester (body is already breaking down though!)
    2) Complete National Series with a better score than last year, if I can get into enough races with the reduced national series.
    3) First Half, The Lost Sheep (see point 2 about getting in!)
    1 written off by injuries, and 3 long fingered for the same reason, although have been tempted by a couple of transfer offers! Think I need more of a base for the longer runs tbh, so a refocus on my swim, and concentrate up to olympic distance for the next year or two is my new plan while the children are the age they are and training load is managable.

2 is only 2 races in, and so far so good! 3 points better in Carlow despite having a bit of 'mare, and scored better in Cobh than I did in my one olympic last year (which was the Caroline Kearney). Lanesboro up next (but have a hamstring niggle from the weekend, and am a bit of a cold coming on so who knows), and then back to Mullingar so should know by August if I've hit one out of three!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

BTH wrote: »
    Stay healthy and see some consistency.

2012 since I've had a decent run of training and good health. Only did one race this year as a result.

The only constant has been my inconsistency.

I've stayed healthy though, so not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Goal was top 3 in my age group in National sprint or Olympic distance champs. 3rd in the sprint champs and would have though a better chance at the Olympic. Another block of training before the Olympic distance so with a bit of luck and a good day another top 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

woody1 wrote: »
    still jan 1st

1. swim the metalman series, have developed a fear of sea swimming, need to make a move to fix that ,
    2. run a marathon in june july sub 3.50
    3. run a half in 1.35 or less
    4. sub 35 for 20k cycling
    5. humbert half iron, if its on again , or some other half iron in ireland in august

1. nope
    2. nope
    3. nope
    4. maybe
    5. nope

.. i really dont do well with plans ! didnt / couldnt / wouldnt swim the metalman, have no intention of doing a marathon this year and if i do a half there wont be any targets, id imagine im close enough to sub 35 for a standalone 20k on the bike but whether il get a chance to measure it i dont know.. or care .. and the humbert isnt on this year ...
    having said all that , im really enjoying this year so far ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Mine is a good placing at the ITU AG Sprint Champs in September. I can't specify what a good placing will be as I don't know the competition, but I've a fair idea of what times will be required. 750 swim needs a 1:30/100 pace, 20k bike needs to target 40kph, and a low 18 5k run. Four weekly swims Jan-April with the gang I swim with should make this pace comfortable. Bike is mainly turbo, with a lot of intensity as a focus. Run will require weight loss, and will be the biggest challenge, but training for an April marathon should help that goal along.

Never even made the start line as RA cancelled my flight over!! To be honest I lost direction somewhere along the way this season and wouldn't have put in a good performance. So a disappointing year, but as always something learned along the way. Next year will be different ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭9Crimes

9Crimes wrote: »
    Finish my first ironman in sub 11 hrs (conditions dependent).

#FAIL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

But, with no other plans in 2017 other than IM70.3 Dublin, I've had time to improve my swimming (I'm less slow) and I won a power meter so cycling has vastly improved. I'll be happy with an improvement on last year.
    Will be doing the DCM in October but am not making any grand pronouncements

Sub goals went out the window too. Work commitments put paid to the half and now the marathon is on the ropes with a chest infection. I even bailed on the Glendalough 1500 due to the poxy waves/weather, something I usually do yearly for fun.
    Roll on 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Just hit one of my targets for 2016 today so hopefully doesn't take me as long on 2017

Going to try and get my first half marathon under my belt I think and would hope to realisticly target sub 2 hours

Sub 50 10km

Sub 2:45 Olympic

1) HM was going according to plan, Fingal 10k and Frank Duffy 10 mile had me on course for 1:55 but then tonsillitis and traffic fiasco meant a DNS

2) Fingal 10km 51:46, not sub 50 but still delighted with it as its a massive step in the wright direction. Followed it up with my first ever 10 mile at 1:26:34

3) Olympic - Hazelwood - 2:51:19 and CK 2:49:59 may have been a little ambitious in gong for 2:45 but delighted with sub 2:50 - Swim and transitions let me down CK was a differnet course this year so cant tell exactly like with like but was 5:35 faster overall, all made up on run.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Too late, but...

1) Sub 4 first marathon in Manchester (body is already breaking down though!)
    2) Complete National Series with a better score than last year, if I can get into enough races with the reduced national series.
    3) First Half, The Lost Sheep (see point 2 about getting in!)
    I've already commented on 1 and 3, so will only add I have more regrets about not taking a transfer for 3, but my swim probably wasn't where it needed to be for the conditions that seemed to prevail.

National Series - 5 points, 99 places overall, 25 places age group better than last year so hit that one. Had and am still having ear issues, that really affected my swim volume in the spring (several months out of the pool), so my swim times were generally slower than last year too, but made up enough on my bike and run.

My mind is starting to think of goals for 2018... Race organisers will hate this, but probably going to take a more relaxed approach to entries next year, as so few that I wanted to do ended up selling out either at all, or early. And most weekends have other options anyway.

I had my calendar and race entries done very early, and I ended up minding myself and/or too focused on training (for a middle of pack "athlete") and skipped some things I really enjoy like trail running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Stay healthy and see some consistency.

2012 since I've had a decent run of training and good health. Only did one race this year as a result.
    The only constant has been my inconsistency.

I've stayed healthy though, so not all bad.

Rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

EC1000 wrote: »
    Sub 3 in rotterdam on April 9th and "do" Barcelona in October - goal time TBD but ideally in the region of 1.10 swim, 6.00 bike and 3.30 marathon.

Nope - 3:07 in Rotterdam (although preparation was seriously hindered by a poxy injury so not disappointed with that). Barca was disappointing in that I was feeling off on the day and was miles off swim and run times.

Oddly, I came closest to achieving a goal that I didn't put up which was a sub 5 half IM - went 5:04 in Dublin.

Roll on 2018!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Not tri related but hey,

Assist with my kids football/athletics activities
    Back to college
    Take one step closer towards a big business goal of mine
    Do enough physical activity not to become fat (again)

1. Winning on the kids front, involved in all their activities although I have no social life anymore.
    2. Have started in college and realising the MBA is full on, again like point 1 it adds to no social life
    3. A WIP and very much linked to 2
    4. Whilst not in IM type shape I am fit and healthy and doing some running and cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Just try and get back into the sport and complete any tri. Havent done one since mid 2015.
    Will try run a marathon as well and aim for sub 4 hours

1. Completed lots of sprint tris this year and two olympic distances. Been fortunate enough to win a fair few AG prizes and pleased to finish in podium place in National duathlon Series and NS. This is mainly due to the large drop of rate in ladies of a certain age competing and no reflection on my ability:eek:
    2. I have ran two sub 4 hour marathons this year and have qualified for Boston next year.

getting older seems to have some advantages :D:P

Advertisement