Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call your 2017 goal by Jan 1st

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sbefort

Sbefort wrote: »
    I'm new here, some of the goals I read are pretty amazing, hope you all can achieve them!
    For me, first will be improve my swim to be able to swim 1:40/100m for 1900m (considering I can barely swim 2:00/100m now).
    Second is a top 70 at the Dublin half.

- My swim improved but nowhere yet where I would like it to be. 
    - Finished 121st in the Dublin 70.3 so again, some work to do but overall, I am pretty happy with my first triathlon season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

zico10 wrote: »
    Rotterdam Marathon; sub 2:35
    Ironman Hawaii: sub 9:10

I missed out on my second target by a good bit; 21 minutes and 30 seconds to be exact, which even over an Ironman is a huge amount of time to miss a target by. But like I said back in January, I knew the target was very ambitious. I didn't realise just how ambitious until I got here two weeks before the race.

Even though I was a long way off the mark, I still don't think it was an impossible target. Hitting it would have meant almost everything going right for me, which is very rare in an Ironman. And needless to say not everything did go right for me. I had control over most of them though and I don't think I'd repeat the same mistakes.

After taking one hour and 15 minutes to make it out of T1, I had given myself too much to do and was never going to get the time back. Then I lost 14-16 minutes over the second half of the marathon. Most of this happened in the last 12km.

It mightn't sound like it, but I'm actually happy to have done the race. On the day, I still went for it and I've absolutely no regrets. I got to 30km of the marathon without walking a single step and I'm quite proud of that. Then just before coming to an aid station, I'd yet again planned on running through, my abductors seized up and brought me to an instant stop. The final 12km included more seizures, stopping and some some very painful hobbles. I don't want to go into things any further here (I'll save that for my report), so I'll leave it at that for the moment.

Unlike Rotterdam, I'm not all that bothered by missing this particular target. The fact I wasn't even close makes it easier to take and I'm not at all embarrassed by putting, what some might have perceived as being an unrealistic target, out there in the first place. Unless someone is an exceptional talent, I think most people's first trip to Kona is a learning experience and that's what I'm going to chalk my race down as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

zico10 wrote: »
    I think most people's first trip to Kona is a learning experience

Glad to hear you're not retiring from triathlon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

EC1000 wrote: »
    Glad to hear you're not retiring from triathlon :)

That was my first thought too :cool: Looking forward to following the second journey to Kona

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

1. swim the metalman series, have developed a fear of sea swimming, need to make a move to fix that ,..

nope.. did a bit of sea swimming, in very calm conditions, did a bit of lake swimming.. pulled out of lanesboro during the swim.. so 2 steps forward and 3 backward.

2. run a marathon in june july sub 3.50

no.. once the marathon buzz wore off , i had little or no inclination to go back to 4 / 5 days a week running

3. run a half in 1.35 or less

yes .. 1.33.30 something last weekend

4. sub 35 for 20k cycling

almost.. if that counts.. 35.05 or something like that.. a car pulled out in front of me causing me to stop mid lap.. im claiming a moral victory

5. humbert half iron, if its on again , or some other half iron in ireland in august..

no.. humbert wasnt on this year.. and see no.1 for swimming issues that kept me from entering another .. although i am entered for one in mayo next july..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

A mixed bag for myslef

A clear fail in the sub 8.40 goal by 15 min ( at the same time i was a lot closer to it than it looks like).

2 races i wanted to do i did not even get in lol .

the biggest issue , overall not a single race where i raced what i had. ) mainly no tapering but there is also some issues i got wrong for the 2 races i wanted to perform. And that have to reconsider next year.
    the hardman half which was a b race that was the closest I got to a good race but even there there was another 5 min in it.

on the plus side by winning cologne Irondistance race and pretty much wning prizes in most races , i achieved my goal that entance fees and travelling to races, to be paid from racing .

more importantly i feel that finally i can say that mentally I excecuted my first Ironman distance race iam happy with and where i kept focus and pushed myself to the limit for the whole race.

i got many things right but i also got a few, things not quite right, in some ways dissapointing at the same time was happy with other stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Sub goals went out the window too. Work commitments put paid to the half and now the marathon is on the ropes with a chest infection. I even bailed on the Glendalough 1500 due to the poxy waves/weather, something I usually do yearly for fun.
    Roll on 2018

Clawed back some respectability today with a 3:24 in DCM. A long way from where I wanted to be but it's nice to finish a race consistently with a smile on my face. I must have high fived every child in Dublin along the way

Advertisement